Sponsored by:

Dip Stick and Oil Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
Dip Stick and Oil Level

I just recently changed my oil and put 9 quarts of 0w-40. I then was getting the "Oil Level, Visit Workshop" signal on the computer. When I hit the check oil option it reads it and says "oil level ok". So I went to MB and ordered a universal dip stick for $45. It came in and I tried to check the oil from the hole right above the superchrger that has the little red cap on it but the oil level is way to high on the dip stick. I went back to MB and asked them and they said it was the wrong hole I was checking. They said there is another one by the airbox. I see another hole that could be it but it has a cap that reads "mb service only". I tried to take the cap off but it won't come off. Any ideas? Also is this even the right hole to check with the dip stick? If I am over on oil what is the best way to take 1/2-1 quart out. Is there a more precise way to check it other then the "oil level ok" on the computer or dip stick?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
You could put it in dyno mode and check er.

Will give you a pretty nice measurement down to the tenth of a liter/quart

Vid to get it into dyno mode. Don't forget, you have to MANUALLY take it out of dyno mode when done. Won't go off automatically.