W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Stock versus mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2008 | 04:49 PM

2003 E55 K1
Question Stock versus mods

For some reason previous post did not go through so I will try again.

I have a good running E55 and I am wondering if it would be worth the money to do a pulley/ECU mod. I only get on it hard from 0 to about 70 or 80 MPH and already have major traction issues. I am concerned that if I get the car modded here in Pittsburgh where there are few or no experienced E55 tuners that the car could end up slower, or worse I could void my extended warranty.

Do you guys think the cost/benefit of modding is worthwhile for something less than WOT?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2008 | 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Coalman...how much longer do you have on your warranty? To be honest with you, just short of a window tint most dealers will find any engine mod you do as voiding your warranty...some are more lenient than others but if you car has some significant repair then they will definitely point to your mods.

It's a slippery slope which you might be able to handle...more mods more torque...more and more...but that's me. As far as tuners, I wouldn't send my car to anyone without experience dealing with our particular platform...I'd definitely check references and call previous clients that have your same car or engine type.

I would only add 2 things to your setup...80mm TB and upgrading cooling kit (LET/VRP etc...).

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2008 | 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Coalman

I have a good running E55 and I am wondering if it would be worth the money to do a pulley/ECU mod. I only get on it hard from 0 to about 70 or 80 MPH and already have major traction issues. I am concerned that if I get the car modded here in Pittsburgh where there are few or no experienced E55 tuners that the car could end up slower, or worse I could void my extended warranty.

Do you guys think the cost/benefit of modding is worthwhile for something less than WOT?

Thanks
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I find it hard to justify 10-20k for another .5 or .6 quicker with 3-5 mph more than what I already have stock. Even your basic pulley,ecu & cooling mod will run 10k then add cf airbox, 80mm TB, cf tubes , long or shorty headers with full exhaust and you are at 20k in a blink of an eye. I am going to work on traction and my launching technique to get me in the 11's.
Old 10-03-2008 | 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
What tires you runnin Coal?

Stock Conti's = rubberized ice

PS2 give quite a bit better traction. I really enjoyed um.

After that it's race tire time. Gotta avoid the rain but I can launch pretty darn hard with my Toyos

On the mods, gotta be your call. Unless your dealer is a guy who installs the mods in house (mod friendly), more than likely they are gonna be jerks if and when you have problems.

If you are worried about modding, Sprintbooster is a really nice toy. Nothing like having the peddle half down and ECU thinking you have it stomped. Totally different feeling car even though no gains are happening. Installs in a few mins if you know how to turn literally one bolt.
Old 10-03-2008 | 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I find it hard to justify 10-20k for another .5 or .6 quicker with 3-5 mph more than what I already have stock. Even your basic pulley,ecu & cooling mod will run 10k then add cf airbox, 80mm TB, cf tubes , long or shorty headers with full exhaust and you are at 20k in a blink of an eye. I am going to work on traction and my 5launching technique to get me in the 11's.
Coalman and Hammer...then a good pair of 15" drag rims and some MT's would help, too. You could also work on getting the unsprung weight lower and redistributing the weight more over the rear wheels just like the estate version of the E55.

I think it outweighs our car by 256lbs (?) but is .2s quicker...weight distribution is 49% front/51% rear vs our car which is 53% front/47% rear.
Old 10-03-2008 | 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Coalman and Hammer...then a good pair of 15" drag rims and some MT's would help, too. You could also work on getting the unsprung weight lower and redistributing the weight more over the rear wheels just like the estate version of the E55.

I think it outweighs our car by 256lbs (?) but is .2s quicker...weight distribution is 49% front/51% rear vs our car which is 53% front/47% rear.
How about going old school and put a 100lb bag or 2 of cement at the rear of the trunk..... then adjust accordingly
Old 10-03-2008 | 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
How about going old school and put a 100lb bag or 2 of cement at the rear of the trunk..... then adjust accordingly
Wow. Your hot! Can I get a date?
Old 10-03-2008 | 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
...Do you guys think the cost/benefit of modding is worthwhile for something less than WOT?
Hi, Coalman. In a word, no. The main benefit from making significant engine mods happens at or near WOT.

But if you're looking to get more enjoyment out of your car without trying to make it accelerate a lot faster then a couple of the changes suggested above can make a noticeable difference: improving tire traction and improving the throttle response (via Sprintbooster and/or 80 mm throttle body).

I've never used the Sprintbooster so I can't vouch for it personally but there are plenty of user comments in these forums. An 80 mm TB was my first engine mod and it did improve the throttle response on my car.

Good luck!
Old 10-03-2008 | 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey whatever works...I added a sub box which is around 100lbs (box and subs) under my rear deck and centrally (battery was on the far right side of the trunk) located a heavy duty battery (about 80lbs) in my trunk...!
Old 10-04-2008 | 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55

Thanks
Nope leave the car stock.
If you are askin the question the anwser is easy NO.

I would change the tires though.
Old 10-04-2008 | 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Wow. Your hot! Can I get a date?
I really hope your kidding me, Just because Jessie (avitar girl) is hot does not mean that it is me dork!