Sponsored by:

What problems to the E63's have?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
imho, these are a Mercedes first and a "performance" car second. If you like the platform as a decent comfortable sedan, then the big motor, etc., is just a bonus. But they (both the 55 and the 63) are simply comfortable and heavy/safe cruising 4 door sedans, nothing more. MB knows this and even markets them as "executive business saloons." AMGs are just a Mercedes with a different motor and some added stuff.

Mine's a daily driver "Camry" and so far no issues. Brake squeal I see as normal with these pads and the size of the rotors. The slots and holes pull off a lot of pad material. Washing it off once a week gets rid of the squeal. Both my Porsches have squeal. I see it as common with a brake system like this, so no biggie.

Anything so dependent on complex electronics always has potential for failure, but the E Class is no different than other current Euro cars in its category. Niggling things like sensors and switches will haunt you once in while over ownership. The motors and tranny seem robust but no car is immune from anything. Like a basket of fresh apples, there will always be one or two with some blemishes and could rot a bit faster. It can just end up as luck of the draw out of the same litter.

As far as the 63 versus the 55 and getting beat at the light, who actually cares. It all sounds pretty juvenile to me. I never did understand the "my car is faster than your car" thing. Some of us don't need our ego to be massaged by how fast our cars are compared to others. We're too busy enjoying the good life.

If you like the feel of a butter smooth NA, the E63 should satisfy you. Others prefer FI motors. Different strokes for different folks. But due to costs/economics, regulations, and marketing pressures the NA will be disappearing anyway. I happen to like the power band of the 6.2 NA but that's just me. And how fast my car might be (or not be) has no real bearing on my life, so I guess it's just not that important to me.

Reliability and TCO will be no different then any other car in its category (BMW, Aston, Jaguar, Audi, etc..) If you're concerned about TCO, then buying the extended warranty might help with those concerns.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
This thread is over 2 years old....
Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
This thread is over 2 years old....
And some of the discussion is still relevant...