W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help interpret this service records for secondary air pump recall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG & BMW F10
Question Can anyone help interpret this service records for secondary air pump recall?

I want to know if my car had the secondary air injection pump recall or not...

When did this campaign start?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
You have it listed under campaigns. It was introduced in late MY'05. All '06s made in '06 already have it.

While I am 100% against it, the only way to avoid it is to have a service tech that will ignore the service list. Once flashed, there is not much you can do but to have it flashed with an older file. In your case, you would run '03 software on an '04 car. Some think that is cool, but it would not be cool to me.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Banned

SL55 AMG & BMW F10
So, under Campaings, it's the "RELAY AIR INJ PUMP - 04/13/2006" right? And "closed" means already performed?

Besides flashing to '03 software, my other option would be getting the ECU tune (+pulley)?
Old 10-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by MPRESIV
So, under Campaings, it's the "RELAY AIR INJ PUMP - 04/13/2006" right? And "closed" means already performed?

YES

Besides flashing to '03 software, my other option would be getting the ECU tune (+pulley)?
Let me re-state your options. The basic consensus on that particular flash (or any newer car that already has it) is that there is quite a bit of TQ management that has been added to prevent the car from producing more than 14psi. On stock cars, the adaptations are about all that would be affected, but you would likely not notice any issues since you would not be generating the TQ that the flash is looking to stop.
If you go and add a larger pulley, you will begin to push well past the 14psi limit. The low end will be strong, but as soon as you are running fast enough to push more trhan 14psi, the ecu pulls timing. Add to that, the fact that the car will make more heat with a larger pulley and now you have a situation where the car will simply lose top end BIG TIME.

Now, as far as tuning options. My personal experience is with Powerchip and RennTech. My opinion on them is:
I feel that Powerchip has put the most time into identifying the levers within the code and would be the best for custom tunes.
In '06, RennTech still did not have the top end issues figured out. My impression is that their current tune is no different and I do not know of any E55s that have posted any dynos to show different.
I am not very impressed with Kleeman, since I haven't seen anything new. The tune on an '03 ECU file is all I have seen. Seeing it on an '05 that was missing other features was kind of dissapointing, but the owner liked the power. Kleeman has many happy customers and I suppose there is something to be said of that.
I just looked at some dynos out of LET and they seem to be putting the time in to learn the codes. My only concern with them as a vendor was the fallout with VRP and subsequent aggressive attacks from certain people on VRP clients. Funny how I asked then what the motivation was and now it is nothing but congrats.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
well let me give you some adivce dyno the car, then drag it and you will have your results

The recall has effected some and has changed nothting for others.
06 cars have it from stock and do not suffer anything from it
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Zod
06 cars have it from stock and do not suffer anything from it
Just to be clear, any effect the flash has on performance of a stock car is stricktly on debate. When it was being done, some MB Techs weren't resetting the ECU so the adaptations were different on different cars. Many complained and most issues went away with about 500 miles of driving or an ECU reset. Some members with '03 or '04s maintain that they had issues with the flash, regardless.

Modded cars are an entirely different story. If flashed, and as Zod said all '06s came with the flash, any E55 has an increase in TQ control from it. An easy way to compare flashed and non-flashed cars is to throw a large pulley on it and see what happens. An older car without the flash will show gains, while a car with the flash will show low end gains and then a drop in power.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

SL55 AMG & BMW F10
Originally Posted by jangy
I just looked at some dynos out of LET and they seem to be putting the time in to learn the codes. My only concern with them as a vendor was the fallout with VRP and subsequent aggressive attacks from certain people on VRP clients.
Could you elaborate more on this?
I don't really understand/don't know what happened.

Trending Topics

Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I dunno that there has been any open discussion about it so it is all hearsay. Basically, LET was a VRP distributor and that has ended. Some trust was broken to say the least. I had heard about it so I was curious about the thread that came up a few months back claiming concerns over 2 specific VRP pulleys. The thread was one of the first times when I saw members that I respected become very subjective. Oddly enough, the most aggressive one towards me has just become a member of the cast. Go figure.