W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 E55 40k? Good deal?? Input Please!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
Check this out

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/265232-2005-e55-amg-sale.html

If you were considering 40K give this member a shout in case his deal with the Dealership falls through. The car looks pretty sweet and well cared for. I don't know any other details. Good Luck.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huracan. S63. CL63. E55.
The term "You get what you pay for" is something a lot of people these days have completely forgotten about.

It's a shame that the value of these cars are being driven down by people who think that EVERY '03 is worth $26,000, EVERY '04 is worth $29,000 and EVERY '05 is worth $32,000.

EVERY car is different...if you find one that is in pristine shape PAY FOR IT because most of these cars that you see for sale at used car lots (yes, MB lots are included) are beat up lease turn-ins.

I could go on for paragraphs here, but I'm sure you all catch my drift.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:10 AM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
I'm in the market for a Wagon. I think the chances of getting a beat up Wagon is rare, but I could be wrong. Most aren't modded and are leased to old Granny's or Soccer Moms who have now idea what they are driving (so I'd like to think). Problem is, there aren't that many around so pricing is not all over the place like the sedans. The past 9 mos I have seen less than 10 wagons for sale and pricing variance for 05/06 is $38K - $49K. Small dealers will price towards the lower and MBZ CPO are priced at the higher end. I figure wholesale pricing is around mid 30s +/-
Old 11-13-2008, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by mchapparone
The term "You get what you pay for" is something a lot of people these days have completely forgotten about.

It's a shame that the value of these cars are being driven down by people who think that EVERY '03 is worth $26,000, EVERY '04 is worth $29,000 and EVERY '05 is worth $32,000.

EVERY car is different...if you find one that is in pristine shape PAY FOR IT because most of these cars that you see for sale at used car lots (yes, MB lots are included) are beat up lease turn-ins.

So true...buyers just don't get it! A perfect 25K mile '03 is worth more than an average condition '05 with 40K miles in my book.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by machz990
The flip side to that is all the guys who try to compare prices of cars that meet your description in your first few paragraphs to private cars that are well cared for. I see a car on here for sale that is pristine and 10 guys come out of the woodwork to tear him down quoting wholesale auction prices or other cheap examples such as Ebay. If cars of this caliber make it to a wholesale auction they are lesser examples of the breed. Most MB dealers will keep a cherry E55 brought in on trade and put it proudly on their lot. Auction cars are lease turn-ins and other less desirable cars that may be the same year and model but that is where the resemblance ends. You do get what you pay for.
I agree with you, but only to an extent.

For me, the car's condition really becomes more of an instant deal-breaker rather than a negotiating point. If I see a bunch of stuff wrong with the car, especially stuff like the paint that I can't fix, then I don't care what price they offer me I'm still not going to buy it.

Once the condition checks out, then the price ALSO needs to be reasonable on top of that. It's kind of like step #1 and then step #2, and the two are separate.

If the car is in good condition then sure I will go higher on price, sure, but it will still need to track bluebook or edmunds "excellent" condition valuation. A lot of the private sellers I ran into when I was shopping, their cars were like $10k+ overpriced, even taking into account the condition. That's ridiculous. They're also never going to sell it, since you gotta figure most people probably will want to finance the car, and because of the price you're in a situation where even with a 20%+ down payment, the bank will laugh because the balance is still higher than the book loan value. Most of these guys are just wasting time, both the prospective buyer's and their own.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 AM

2003 SRT10
Originally Posted by mchapparone

No need to think it, it's true. Not hard to find examples in that range.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/269415-sale-real-2003-e55-amg-28k-53k-miles-cpo.html
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by isellpower
No need to think it, it's true. Not hard to find examples in that range.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269415
Just curious: is your intention here to drive down prices, or what? Of the twelve posts you've made since joining, 3/4 (nine) have been either telling people they're asking too much, or that the deals they've found are too high, etc. etc...

The point is, as someone else said, condition has a lot to do with it. And to hold up the lowest-priced car you can find on ebay as The Gold Standard is patently ridiculous.

Last edited by Improviz; 11-13-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1969 280S, 1991 300E
As an MB salesman, i also believe every car is different. I was thinking of buying an 09 E350 4Matic, until i came across an absolute pin E55. I wanted all the extra equipment that came with the new 350, but one drive of the 55 changed my mind.

I now own the only E55 within at least 300 miles of my city, and it's a 2004 Black with Blue/Black interior and only 17000miles...the guy who owned it before me was a freak about his car. It is literally brand new.

I paid 7K over xcln book value without even blinking.

Would i pay that much for a different one? Not likely. (i would've bought the new 350) There were 2 others that aren't too far away from me that i could have looked at, and they were asking less than i paid, BUT...i have a car that i KNOW the history of. No accidents or paintwork of any kind, no warranty issues aside from recalls & TSBs.

People come in to our dealership every day or phone in to ask for prices on cars. Their reaction is generally the same, regardless if the price is actually reasonable or not...."That seems a little high" or "That's wayyyy too much. I can get one of those elsewhere for 3K less"

1. Nobody ever pays asking price
2. Every car has a different history

I recently had a guy dealing on an SL55 that we have in stock that has 13,000miles on it. We were selling it for $100k (CDN). He looooved the car, but couldn't see the value in it....."I can get one of those for way less"....So, he went and found one "similar" to ours and paid 30k less...except it was 2 years older and has 120,000miles on it!!!!!

This guy has spent 15K in repairs on it since he bought it a month ago.

Who, in their right mind would want to own an SL55 with 120,000 miles on the clock?

I apologize for the long-winded response...it's a slow night.