W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

NEW larger ASP pulley!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008 | 04:23 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
NEW larger ASP pulley!

Just recieved a new ASP pulley and they have have broken the 180mm barrier!! Of course I am always looking for easy eaxtra power. Not to mention, if headers and larger Tb really reduces some boost,, then this will help get it back!! We all like extra efficiency but deep down inside, we really do not want less boost ...

I can not wait to get this new ASP pulley on and test it out.. Speaking of test. I am thinking track test and using my weather station to get accurate D/A correction? Getting accurate dyno`s on a very heat sensitive car and on different days, is not fair test.. Hell, 20 deg. change in intake air temp can make a huge difference in power, especially if you go above 140 deg. (easy to do)..

What does everyone think before I take the other ASP pulley off and go 180mm plus?

Here is a quick shot of the new ASP next to my old stock pulley.
Attached Thumbnails NEW larger ASP pulley!-mvc-009s.jpg  

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-28-2008 | 04:37 PM

SL55 AMG
Interesting, let us know how it goes. Im thinking about swapping out my old ASP pulley for the new one. Im assuming it comes with a new belt?
Old 10-28-2008 | 04:51 PM

2003 E55 AMG
WOW, now this sounds good for the bigger t/b and exhaust croud. Definetly do the ported blower with this design though. There is going to come a point when the stock blower becomes inefficent and creates more heat than usable power. Ported heads and blower with this pulley should have some interesting boost #'s, but they really dont matter if you cant use the volume of air to make power. This sounds like a step in the right direction though, just might take some tweaking to find the right combination 650 rwhp on boost alone anyone??? I think its doable
Old 10-28-2008 | 04:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Waiting to see the outcome
Where is houston do you get your work done on your 55
Old 10-28-2008 | 05:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
What is the size? Anyone have pics of the old vs new ASP, not OEM. There is not much room, so i assume they gave you a water pump pulley, too. If not, then I don't believe it.
Old 10-28-2008 | 06:02 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by nitrous_nate
WOW, now this sounds good for the bigger t/b and exhaust croud. Definetly do the ported blower with this design though. There is going to come a point when the stock blower becomes inefficent and creates more heat than usable power. Ported heads and blower with this pulley should have some interesting boost #'s, but they really dont matter if you cant use the volume of air to make power. This sounds like a step in the right direction though, just might take some tweaking to find the right combination 650 rwhp on boost alone anyone??? I think its doable

Ported heads, are a large part of my build plan.

Interesting, let us know how it goes. Im thinking about swapping out my old ASP pulley for the new one. Im assuming it comes with a new belt?
The kit comes with a smaller water pump pulley and new belt. The smaller water pump pulley will allow the pump to turn faster.. All the ASP 55 kits have come with smaller water pump pulley.

What is the size? Anyone have pics of the old vs new ASP, not OEM. There is not much room, so i assume they gave you a water pump pulley, too. If not, then I don't believe it.
My curerrent ASP pulley is right at 178mm , even though someone started a rumor that the ASP pulley was only 175.. ASP said, they have always been right at 178mm. This is measured right at the grove the belt runs on (correct way to measure) and not on the front belt guide edge, like some other pulley`s are measured. My fancy digital (only opens to 7") mic will not fit around this new pulley but it seems to be in the 181mm- ish range. I doubt you could tell size difference from pictures..

Where is houston do you get your work done on your 55
So far, I have done all these little mods myself and prefer to do my own work when I have time.. When I don`t ahve the time,,, I use http://www.lawellmotorsports.com/ only.. I really do not know anyone else but Lawell. They have been working on high end European cars for over 20 years..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 10-28-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2008 | 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

by pass valve!!!

it would run open more often and bleed all your boost.

I would not do this.. until you get the ECU.

There is not need to add a pulley unless ECU is done to deal with the bypass valve..

last year.. I had a total different view on ECU tuning due to my C32.

But the C32 does not have a bypass valve.. so any mod to increse boots works just fine.
Old 10-28-2008 | 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
HOW MUCH DID THE NEW PULLEY COST? WHERE DID YOU BUY IT FROM?
Old 10-28-2008 | 06:27 PM

2003 E55 Blk/Blk
+1
Old 10-28-2008 | 06:45 PM

G55
didn't amg restrict the amount of boost in one of their newer ECU updates - I remeber reading something about this a while ago, so the pulley should not be adding any real HP until; the ECU is changed
Old 10-28-2008 | 06:52 PM

Obsidian E55
Shiyat, i had an asp pulley installed 6/7 weeks ago, wonder if i got the bigger one instead of the 178mm, is it possible to tell without taking it off ??
Old 10-28-2008 | 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by HAHA BYE
+1
+2
Old 10-28-2008 | 07:13 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by PerisanGodFatha
HOW MUCH DID THE NEW PULLEY COST? WHERE DID YOU BUY IT FROM?
My wife bought it from ASP as ONE of my many B day presents.. They are located in a suburb of Houston.. Call ASP, they can give you details.. My wife won`t tell me the price.. I think it is the first or one of the first super pulley`s made so far.. I also bought my last pulley 6-7 weeks ago andlove it!

by pass valve!!!

it would run open more often and bleed all your boost.

I would not do this.. until you get the ECU.
If so , then why does my boost after ASP pulley addition calculate to 15.2psi( based on formula from a sponsored site tuner)? Why did after the change , that I boiled my pilots off from no traction, in 95 deg heat with 28mph rolls? I then had to buy NEW wider/sticker nittos Invos just to help the problem.. Why also do my IAT `s shoot up from the heat of pure BOOST!!!!

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 10-28-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2008 | 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

W221
nice...
Old 10-28-2008 | 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
nice...
very nice....
Old 10-28-2008 | 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
My wife bought it from ASP as ONE of my many B day presents.. They are located in a suburb of Houston.. Call ASP, they can give you detials.. My wife won`t tell me the price.. I think it is the first or one of the first super pulley`s made so far.. I also bought my last pulley 6-7 weeks ago andlove it!

If so , then why does my boost after ASP pulley addition calculate to 15.2psi( based on formula from a sponsored site tuner)? Why did after the change , that I boiled my pilots off from no traction, in 95 deg heat with 28mph rolls? I then had to buy NEW wider/sticker nittos Invos just to help the problem.. Why also do my IAT `s shoot up from the heat of pure BOOST!!!!
it just adds torque at the lower revs and looses HP on the higher.

I had my car dyno'd by Code3 (Brandon)

He had my car for 1 week to run tests with it. He threw everything at it.

No way around it.. needs tuning to put the bypass valve on check.

My car only dyno'd at 400RWHP and 450+ RWTQ on multiple of runs.

I can hear my bypass valve open even cruising.

Its making boost alright.. and your IAT sees it.. but it finds its way out.

In some cases ASP has made a bit HP and a lot more torque than my car.. but it depends on the Dyno machine, weather and ECU files.

I had my 2nd air flash done twice this year.. so I have the newest ECU.

On my C32.. there is no bypass valve.. you can pick up power just with a pulley.
Old 10-28-2008 | 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Can we see the other side of the pulley? Is it as ugly as the old one?
I currently run the old ASP...love the performance, hate the look.
Old 10-28-2008 | 08:32 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
it just adds torque at the lower revs and looses HP on the higher.

I had my car dyno'd by Code3 (Brandon)

He had my car for 1 week to run tests with it. He threw everything at it.

No way around it.. needs tuning to put the bypass valve on check.

My car only dyno'd at 400RWHP and 450+ RWTQ on multiple of runs.

I can hear my bypass valve open even cruising.

Its making boost alright.. and your IAT sees it.. but it finds its way out

I hear you and that is why Dyno`s on these cars are really tough to be consistent or get peak numbers.. If the IAT`s feel it as you say ,, then boost is also there. Boost =heat.. My car pulls like a rocket up top now but let the track tell the truth..

Why would anyone be against me putting a larger pulley on and seeking max power? My money and my time.. Just sharing un-biased info ,results with ATAP and a good track close by..
Old 10-28-2008 | 08:58 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by phatmitzu
Can we see the other side of the pulley? Is it as ugly as the old one?
I currently run the old ASP...love the performance, hate the look.
what performance?
you are running 20 wheels and show hp lower then stock... are you refering to butt dyno? (no offence here intended)

TopGun32 was an other beliver that the asp alone made a difference, until he did a bit of testing...

no offence Exotic-metal55 but a few members have assumed increase of hp due to asp install and have show other wise with out an ECU tune

unless your data shows other wise?
Old 10-28-2008 | 09:03 PM

G55
don't think anyone is againt you putting larger pulley on - I think TopGun is only trying to bring to attention that you gains are limited due to you lack of ECU tuning and espcially since the newer ECU map have an overboost protection
Old 10-28-2008 | 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
this sounds promising.
Old 10-28-2008 | 11:55 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Very cool! I can't wait to see some #'s on the new pulley. It's good to see the car feels much more powerful.
Old 10-29-2008 | 12:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
181mm? Hmmm, sounds promising. Make sure you have an ECU tune or you will waste all boost past 14psi. Anyone doing a proper install and dyno?
Old 10-29-2008 | 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Zod
what performance?
you are running 20 wheels and show hp lower then stock... are you refering to butt dyno? (no offence here intended)

TopGun32 was an other beliver that the asp alone made a difference, until he did a bit of testing...

no offence Exotic-metal55 but a few members have assumed increase of hp due to asp install and have show other wise with out an ECU tune

unless your data shows other wise?
Let me rephrase myself.
I meant to say its "potential" ECU'ed performance. My point was if the new pulley is better constructed or it's same weld-on job as the old.

Yes I run on 20"s. You running 15" with slicks? Just wondering...
Old 10-29-2008 | 02:56 AM

03 E55 AMG
Thumbs up Lysholm vs Bell... Ding Ding.

Our charger is only efficient up to 175mm, then any extra power generated after via a larger diameter is parasitically reused to drive the charger and lost.

The only application that would benefit from a 180+ unit would be a 55 with the stock cooler removed to free up extra boost from the bottleneck.

Bigger pulley doesn't always mean extra power for everyone unfortunately.

A side by side comparison of the two pulleys would also reveal the figs.

A more efficient charger design would only benefit from a larger size pulley other than a 175.

See this comprehensive article with lots of photos which will put all into perspective...

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...RvsLYSHOLM.pdf

Unfortunately our chargers are not the most efficient on the market. IMO the Kenn Bell units are the best, no BS.

A dream setup to give turbos a good run... Just add 185 pulley with SLR Coolers and a Kenn Bell 6x4 rotor charger as apposed to our mediocre Lysholm 5x3 design.

Seriously though if you want to add a 1mm here and get 1hp there thats cool, but if you seriously want to go nucking futs, do the above installation. I suppose it all comes down to Bux. (Bux = HP!)

So to the after market dudes... Whip up one of these kits and make a quid.

Now we have a winner...

Oh, one more thing... the recirculation throttle body or bypass valve, doesn't rob you of power. I'll write up the evidence with photos later on my current thread.

Cheers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: NEW larger ASP pulley!