Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
*** WARNING ECU DUMP ***

Hey all, Looking for info..
After a 5 to 10 minute drive, here is what happens to my car when I shut it off.

1) ESP inop warning when key in position #2
2) Temp flashes back and forth from 40 to 215 degrees when in position #2
3) Clock starts to change the time forward when in position #2
4) Car will not start at all keyless start or with key.

Seems as if there is a non programed key. After a three hour wait the car starts just fine as if nothing was ever wrong Like if the car needs to cool down.
I found a very loose battery cable (neg side) I could just lift it off by hand. I thought that once I snugged it down all would be fine but NO same thing no start.
Car has been a dealer for three days now, they state that most likely ECU is damaged do to volage spikes BIG QUESTION could driving around for the past two month with a loose cable cause the voltage spikes and damage the ECU. Yes, the ECU has a tune and has been so for about two years now without any problems what so ever.
All tunner, Members and Anyone that has any input PLEASE REPLY. Thanks guys
Old 10-31-2008, 01:47 AM
MHP
Banned

'09 C63 AMG
You know what I think
Old 10-31-2008, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55
I work in the computer (PC) industry and am involved in a lot of testing of various computer components; subjecting them to extreme voltages and spikes. It's certainly a possibilty that voltage spikes can cause such errors, espcially to memory ( or the stored data ).
I would assume that MB would install safety guards to protect critical components like ECU, but I have no clue if they do or not.

EDIT- after reading the first post again, sounds very plausible to me that the voltage spikes are the most likely cuplrit. The fact that the ECU acts up when warm can be a sign of overvoltage having caused enough damage to one component without killing it completely.

Last edited by gollard; 10-31-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
IF the ECU got toasted from a loose connection, MB would warranty it. Now, openning the box how many times and splicing?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Did they tune it too? Or open it to see the RT mods?

Damn, dude you show that tune to everyone.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Just got the call from Mercedese Benz, "The ECU IS FRIED" do to Voltage spikes from a loose battery cable.
I did not even tell them I had a loose cable, but they are also not that dumb. They tried everything, but bottom line is that once they got the ECU to MBZ they would see that it has been open..
NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY.
NO ANDS, IFS OR BUTS HAS NOTHING TO DUE WITH GETTING A TUNE..
Lesson learned? Yes, after anyone touches your car,
"MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE BATTERY CABLES" It will save you a ton of money!!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
HOLY SHNOPS!!!! I'm coming by to get my datalogger today. Don't pay retail and don't let them put anything in the system.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:24 PM

G55
sorry to hear about the loss - you still have the ecu? would love to take a look at it - maybe it's fixable
Old 10-31-2008, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Just got the call from Mercedese Benz, "The ECU IS FRIED" do to Voltage spikes from a loose battery cable.
I did not even tell them I had a loose cable, but they are also not that dumb. They tried everything, but bottom line is that once they got the ECU to MBZ they would see that it has been open..
NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY.
NO ANDS, IFS OR BUTS HAS NOTHING TO DUE WITH GETTING A TUNE..
Lesson learned? Yes, after anyone touches your car,
"MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE BATTERY CABLES" It will save you a ton of money!!
Rick, did they void your warranty for the ECU only or the entire car? Did they flag your car with status 8?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I'm so sorry to hear of the issue! I hope you get everything squared away asap.

Originally Posted by gollard
I work in the computer (PC) industry and am involved in a lot of testing of various computer components; subjecting them to extreme voltages and spikes. It's certainly a possibilty that voltage spikes can cause such errors, espcially to memory ( or the stored data ).
I would assume that MB would install safety guards to protect critical components like ECU, but I have no clue if they do or not.

EDIT- after reading the first post again, sounds very plausible to me that the voltage spikes are the most likely cuplrit. The fact that the ECU acts up when warm can be a sign of overvoltage having caused enough damage to one component without killing it completely.
You're a genius! Spot on.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Rick, did they void your warranty for the ECU only or the entire car? Did they flag your car with status 8?
No , No flaging the car.. No warranty attempted PM me for more info.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Almost a Member!

bmw
Oh man! Sorry to hear about the news. What does a new ECU cost?? Can you find a used one?
Old 10-31-2008, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
The ECU is not that much maybe $1100-$1250 no big deal. But the bad part is IT WAS NOT MY FAULT
Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Sorry to hear that such a little thing caused so much of a problem.

Are your talking about the loose cable concerning the main battery in the trunk? If so, that battery does not power up the ECU. Please let us know which battery are you talking about.

As far as warranty, if they void the entire car, time to see an attorney. It's worth the dollars to try to save the value of your beast.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by m_berman
As far as warranty, if they void the entire car, time to see an attorney. It's worth the dollars to try to save the value of your beast.
I don't see how they could not cover this under warranty. Was the battery cable loose your doing? I'd assume you disconnected the battery when you did the ECU?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:18 AM

89 300CE and a 86 944 Turbo
Question

I little confused what is status 8???
Old 11-01-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by Blood2blade
I little confused what is status 8???
That's when Mercedes flags your car in their system as modified and it cancels your remaining warranty.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
A great way to avoid horror stories like this:

Purchase a 2nd ECU and mod that. Then when it comes time for warranty work, just swap them out.

After hearing this horror story, the only way to mod.

An alternate; have the ECU flashed verus ROM change out.

Keep us informed.

BTW... Does this mean no more drag racing?

Last edited by m_berman; 11-01-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by BlownV8
I don't see how they could not cover this under warranty. Was the battery cable loose your doing? I'd assume you disconnected the battery when you did the ECU?

I have had the tune almost two years now. I had a shop do some work on my car a few months ago and they are the ones that left it loose (last person to touch car).( they have yet to respond) I do not wish to state the name of the shop at this time out of respect for all the vendors here . I am not the kind of guy to bash someone do to a mistake being made (we all make mistake or have set backs). On the other hand I have emailed, PM's and phone calls in to them and they have put me on the back burner, This is my major problem with them. You know "we'll call you back in the morning I will talk to the owner sorry we were real busy but will call you this time for sure all GUYS, THIS IS A SIMPLE CASE OF "OOPS" . Sorry for the off topic I will start a new thread later. VOLTAGE SPIKES
As stated before NO WARRANTY ACTION ATTEMPTED the ecu had been opened to do tunning ,so that would void MBZ from replacing it. It's that simple ,don't even try or you will get the BAD MARKS

Last edited by rarfinancial; 11-01-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by m_berman
A great way to avoid horror stories like this:

Purchase a 2nd ECU and mod that. Then when it comes time for warranty work, just swap them out.

After hearing this horror story, the only way to mod.

An alternate; have the ECU flashed verus ROM change out.

Keep us informed.

BTW... Does this mean no more drag racing?
running two ecu's is easier said than done. the ecu needs to be married to the car and most people don't know an mb tech willing to do that.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by The Godfather
That's when Mercedes flags your car in their system as modified and it cancels your remaining warranty.
Sort of (based on my loose readings)... if you are flagged for a certain area then the MB factory rep has to approve all warranty repairs related to the flagged area.

So if you are flagged status 8 for engine mods and your radio goes bad I do believe you are ok- someone please correct me as this is just what I have read and heard.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by chiromikey
running two ecu's is easier said than done. the ecu needs to be married to the car and most people don't know an mb tech willing to do that.
Guido in Jersey dose it, warehouse district in Hoboken. Heck he can change the VIN while you wait.

rarfinancial,

A lose battery connection can do more damage than first most apparent.
The alternator hates to be disconnected while under a load and many times this will knock out one or more diodes in the alternator, the result is, AC is being slipped in to your electrical system. Make sure the dealer goes over everything. Don't mean to make matters worse for you, I would hate to see your efforts undermined by yet another oversight. Have you contacted RT on any warranty coverage from them? I was under the impression RT mods don't violate MB warranty, many dealers install RT mods.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
You are handling this situation with great respect and professionalism.

I wish I could the same for that Canadian tuner's franchisee in CA(just a guess).

I am sure(at least I hope) they will step up and do the right thing. You have to this point Rick.

PS The spikes were being transmitted from the alternator and that would absolutely cause the spikes that would lead to your ECU failure. Sorry to hear about it but at least you won't have anymore problems with the ECU(except for your choice of software).
Old 11-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Rick, like I told you before, we DID NOT touch your ground strap.

When your car was in the shop you asked us to reseal your ECU, because the other FL tuner did not seal it up. Ground strap does not have to be removed to make it happen.

Andy, you wasted your very first "I am not ANDY post" to attack us??

Very pathetic................ just like you have always been. Nothing has changed in 10 years.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *** WARNING ECU DUMP ***