**ATTN: TUNNERS AND ALL $1000 QUESTION ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
If the problem happens only when hot then pull the ECU when hot and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so while keeping the hood shut and everything else warm. Put the ECU back in to see if it now works.

You could also put the ECU in a 150 degree oven for 20 minutes or so an put it in a cold car.

If the problem is the ECU it will show itself with one of these tests.
Good idea, I will try it. I have taken out the sprint booster just to make sure that was not shorted do to Voltage spikes (no change), next I will unplug the lowering module to make sure that was not damaged by the spikes, it has a good size board in it and is directly wired in. I may just take it out completely and install gen 2 that is plug and play,(I don't think it is the problem but at least it's out of the picture). The last thing I will remove will be the relocated sensor from kit vr530 then all is back to stock ( again I don't think that is the problem either, it does have to due with temps though) but it will also be out of the picture. If all that fails then it's ECU time for me. I will be ordering one either way to have a spare. If this would have happened in Maryland on the 15th I would have been Fu^ckt but at least then Jim would have had a chance

Last edited by rarfinancial; 11-02-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
O.K I will pay $1000 to the person that can figure out the problem with my car with out replacing the ECU. Here are your hints:

After a 5 to 10 minute drive, here is what happens to my car when I shut it off.

1) ESP inop warning when key in position #2
2) Temp flashes back and forth from 40 to 215 degrees when in position #2
3) cooling fan turns on and stays running when in #2
4) If you open the hood you can hear a clunking sound Like if the throttle body flaps are moving open and close fast.
If I put my hand on the intake manifold I can feel the clunking.
5) Car will not start at all keyless start or with key.
6) Seems as if the key is a not programed.
7) When car is in this state not even the MBZ laptop can communicate with cars ECU.
After a while the car will start up and run perfect. Car will run for hours and miles so long as it is not turned off.
GOOD LUCK... OH, AND NEVER A CEL
Has the car every ran OK since the last tune and if so for how long.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by MACHC5
Has the car every ran OK since the last tune and if so for how long.
Yes, very strong and never a hint of any problems I have always used the same tunner with no problems and the last time I updated the tume was about 10 to 12 months ago. The ECU was remove two or so months ago and was resealed. but no problems noted after the seal..
Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
The power supply from 12V to board voltage is on its way...... soon the magic smoke will escape and the little black three legged heat sink laden device will show evidence of its bout with a charging system gone awry.

The reality is the low voltage and AC dose the damage....I am sure you read that in my other post in your original thread. RAR Can you open the ECU and take a Pic?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
The power supply from 12V to board voltage is on its way...... soon the magic smoke will escape and the little black three legged heat sink laden device will show evidence of its bout with a charging system gone awry.

The reality is the low voltage and AC dose the damage....I am sure you read that in my other post in your original thread. RAR Can you open the ECU and take a Pic?
Will do. Will do it Monday after one final test. We will get this figured out even if I get a new ECU. I am starting work on a surge protector for our ECU's in the morning. We all have spent so much time on mods and we should make one for the heart of our system. I have many friend in the PC business and will also get some help from you guys. I will snap some pix. GREAT HELP GUYS..
Old 11-02-2008, 10:08 PM

07 CLS550 & 05 E55
Hey I have seen a similar problem like this I assume you have to keys try your spare it could be the battery in the key.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:14 PM

07 CLS550 & 05 E55
Oh yea and you may want to look into your DME (Digital Motor Electronics) it's the control unit when your car is inserted or detected.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by allied107
Hey I have seen a similar problem like this I assume you have to keys try your spare it could be the battery in the key.
Yes, I put new batteries in my spare remote key and also I am removing the batteries in the main key.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by allied107
Oh yea and you may want to look into your DME (Digital Motor Electronics) it's the control unit when your car is inserted or detected.

Good luck!
Where is it located? It sure does seem like the anti theft system is the problem but look at the list of symptoms I have . Some seem unrelated.. Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G55
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
If the problem happens only when hot then pull the ECU when hot and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so while keeping the hood shut and everything else warm. Put the ECU back in to see if it now works.

You could also put the ECU in a 150 degree oven for 20 minutes or so an put it in a cold car.

If the problem is the ECU it will show itself with one of these tests.
Not the best idea to put the ECU too far below ambient, especially when you live near a humid coastal air. Condensation can be a killer too...especially when ladden with salt.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Check your BATTERY !!! It could be bad, this causes everythingto go bonkers. Ifthe ECU was truly failed the car would go into limp mode. Seems like voltage problemo
Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Where is my $1000?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey RAR, just my input from a guy that recented toasted his ECU.

I learned real quick these can be pretty sensitive. Verdict on mine was that it was totally my fault. In my chaos to get the car ready for Sacto, I just blew it and forgot to put the top onto the ECU cover (plastic piece) and then ran it through car wash. Water got into top of ECU connectors even though it was just a few drops, it caused havoc. Only thing I can think of is some type of connection was made on 2 or more of the plug prongs due to the water and poof. Like I said, I can swap out another ECU and she starts right up but bottom line is I just bricked this one. Even the bricked one starts up fine but then just acts bizarre. Enough that I wouldn't even think of driving it.

I don't think if there are minor problems with the ECU programming being corrupted, that the ECU will limp itself but just my 2 cents.

I am still a rookie compared to Vadim and others, but I bet the loose strap eventually spiked it and toasted/corrupted something on the ECU.

I say crank down the ole battery straps, snag another ECU and let the good times roll at MIR.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/support_ecu_removal.pdf

From RENNtech's instructions on removing the ECU:

PLEASE NOTE: If your vehicle features the “Keyless-Go” option we strongly recommend to NOT store
the keyless go card nearby the vehicle and keep it in a safe distance of at least 50 feet away from the car
as accidental code resetting may occur.

Maybe as jrcart alluded to...could it just be a "keyless go" problem?

Tom
Old 11-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
I'll have a stab... Intermittent SBC fault causing noise. ECU fine but reacting adversely to noise source. Check error log with DAS and run a SBC diagnostic. There may be an error log reported somewhere with this type of fault.

Interesting problem though.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Originally Posted by Finny
I'll have a stab... Intermittent SBC fault causing noise. ECU fine but reacting adversely to noise source. Check error log with DAS and run a SBC diagnostic. There may be an error log reported somewhere with this type of fault.

Interesting problem though.
Good idea, but no CLS63s have SBC. I am pointing to the loose ground strap as causing this. When you have a bad ground, the current is going to look for the path off least resistance(through control module circuitry). I say get a new ME control unit with stock software and see what happens.

Nick
Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
So, what's going on with this?

Nick