W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Handling Mods, AGAIN!! Help me..'.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008 | 11:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Handling Mods, AGAIN!! Help me..'.

So, after all the power tuning, I want to clean the suspension up (replace bushings) and do a few mods while I am under there.

Does anyone know a source of bushings that fit our cars?

I'm on the fence with new brakes (plus calipers), so we'll see. EVOSport hooked me up by rebuilding mine to pretty much new condition. I am scared to bang on them like I did, but the time will come. If they last, sweet. If not, i have no choice but to go bigger rotors. I just really rely on the fronts with my style (and this boat).

Camber Adjustment is in process and I am thinking of taking it to another level. We are basically replacing many of the OE fixed length arms with stronger, lighter ones that can have their length adjusted. The only catch is that there are a couple of arms involve in each parameter, so you end up needing to replace a few (about three in the rear) to really adjust angles (camber and toe). I know Renntech offers the Toe Links, but does anyone have ideas or options for the camber arms? (not interested in offset bushings, kinda hard to compromise now).

LSD. I consider it handling. Any advice here is much appreciated. i know of many that have ongoing issues with them and I want to avoid that.

Front strut tower supports: When I put on 265 R rated tires, I was worried about the front end, so I used some dry caulk on the metal joints to show if anything was being moved. After a good palomar run, I noticed cracks in the caulk on the fenders near the strut towers (classic sign of tower flex). I love having a front end with grip, so i want to add support as much as I can to offset the wear of wider tires.

Steering Rack. Mine has gotten creeky and soft. Can anyone help me with the TSB? I was hoping for how it was noted on the service sheet.

Replace front sway bar with a much lighter, stiffer, and adjustable one.
Look into the rear sway bar but likely keep it the same. I will replace the bushings because mine are toasted!
Old 11-02-2008 | 03:52 PM

08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
handling

damn, your looking to do all that and all I am looking for is to get rid of my camber.

My camber is so bad it looks like my HRE weren't made for my car even though they were.

Haven't had an alignment done yet but hopefully that helps
Old 11-03-2008 | 08:47 AM

LSD. I consider it handling. Any advice here is much appreciated. i know of many that have ongoing issues with them and I want to avoid that.

jangy please elaborate.

thanks
Old 11-03-2008 | 10:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by cls55

jangy please elaborate.

thanks
I just talk to lots of guys that haven't gotten the LSD to settle in just right. some have had major issues and some just have play or noises. I've also seen most that are perfect and I want to make sure I get it right. Dunno if it has to do with install or parts used, but just wanna have it right.
Old 11-03-2008 | 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Quaife LSD is literally the only way to go Jang.

My tech has done a bunch of them now and is blown away that every time they are plug and plays. No shimming needed ever!

Also talked a guy in LA who said same thing.

Thousands of beaten miles on mine now and trouble free.
Old 11-03-2008 | 01:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Quaife LSD is literally the only way to go Jang.

My tech has done a bunch of them now and is blown away that every time they are plug and plays. No shimming needed ever!

Also talked a guy in LA who said same thing.

Thousands of beaten miles on mine now and trouble free.
I agree, but I hear different stories about the shims...
Old 11-03-2008 | 03:21 PM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by jangy
I agree, but I hear different stories about the shims...
Regardless if whether some say that the shims are needed or not it should be measured. Some go off the impression that it is not needed so they do not check, which for most may be correct, however not all vehicles are built the same, some may need a small shim others may not. The few that we have done did not need the shims, however that will not stop us from check the backlash on everyone that we do.
Old 11-03-2008 | 03:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Quaife is the best option for LSD.
Old 11-03-2008 | 04:08 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Quaife is the best option for LSD.
Ahmad,

Didn't you get an LSD? If so what were you impressions?
Old 11-03-2008 | 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
...however not all vehicles are built the same, some may need a small shim others may not...

Do you think there is any correlation between having shims and the "issues" (mostly play) I am talking about? I am wondering if it is more cars that needed the shims but didn't get them or ones that got them that are having "issues" and if they are something that gets fixed or if it is just an issue of mating up that particular LSD with that particular car?
Old 11-03-2008 | 05:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by JamE55
Ahmad,

Didn't you get an LSD? If so what were you impressions?
I had the Kleemann LSD, it went bad. I just received the quaife LSD saturday and the car doesnt have a transmission in it right now so I have to wait til I get the trans back to give an opinion.For now all I can say is it looks very well built and tough. I will post up my review after I drive it. I really liked the Kleemann but after seeing how it works, quaife is the way to go. The Kleemann wears out over time but the quaife shouldn't and I think it has a lifetime warranty. I am anxious to see how the quaife performs since the Kleemann did quite well for me. I really liked it... until it got messed up lol
Old 11-03-2008 | 06:29 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I had the Kleemann LSD, it went bad. I just received the quaife LSD saturday and the car doesnt have a transmission in it right now so I have to wait til I get the trans back to give an opinion.For now all I can say is it looks very well built and tough. I will post up my review after I drive it. I really liked the Kleemann but after seeing how it works, quaife is the way to go. The Kleemann wears out over time but the quaife shouldn't and I think it has a lifetime warranty. I am anxious to see how the quaife performs since the Kleemann did quite well for me. I really liked it... until it got messed up lol
Agree. At the time i got my Kleemann LSD i've never heard of Quaife or not that familiar with it. Should've done a little more homework if i would've known Quaife was the way to go. But nonetheless i'm still pretty happy with mine. Can you PM me the details on where you got your Quaife, price etc.
Old 11-03-2008 | 07:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by JamE55
Agree. At the time i got my Kleemann LSD i've never heard of Quaife or not that familiar with it. Should've done a little more homework if i would've known Quaife was the way to go. But nonetheless i'm still pretty happy with mine. Can you PM me the details on where you got your Quaife, price etc.
YGPM sir
Old 11-03-2008 | 08:01 PM

'15 S550 4Matic, '15 GL550, 360 Spider, Escalade ESV
Jangy, what are you setting this car up for? Do you take it to the track (road course)? Fontana, Streets of Willow...etc?

I'd of course say it'll always be an uphill battle in what I think is the wrong car for such a purpose but since you're gonna do it anyway... ...

Not speaking from E55 experience but rather from years competing on track I'd say LSD is obviously beneficial to both handling and powertrain but in this case treat it as a handling mod. Prepping the car to be neutral has to be the goal (since power isn't the weak point) and the LSD certainly helps that. You'll be attacking corners differently if you can get the power down sooner and he who gets on the power sooner coming out of the corner is ultimately the quickest (generally speaking).

Having had lots of track oriented cars though, I must say that the E55 is inherently a fish out of water on track. You'd be better off in an e60 M5 if that's your purpose but that doesn't matter since you've already chosen the car!

I have fond memories of my e60 M5 with sport springs, stock brakes, stock pads, stock tires, and hotshoe driver (yours truly) absolutely wasting everything on track at Watkins Glen in advanced run groups including C5 Z06s with Hoosiers, 996 TT, etc. The M5 is amazing but I digress...

E55 better every day though and I'm happy to have one.
Old 11-03-2008 | 08:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I want the car to be a daily driver that will be competitive at the track. I go to Willows (big track) twice a year and love it. I also go to Fontana from time to time, but really only to prove a point. I enjoy the highspeed road races best since the car sucks on too tight. I'm just so rough on the car that I go through the bushings etc. Also, I go through tires in about 5k miles. Last thing, I really like the chassis and figure the upgrades will be to worn parts anyway.
Old 12-07-2008 | 06:17 PM

997.2 GT3
Has anyone thrown out the airmatic suspension in favor of a good coilover set up? Does anyone even make coilovers for the E55?
Old 12-07-2008 | 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
anyone know where i can get a strut bar for the front of an E63? Or know anyone who makes one? Think this would hepl a lot...
Old 12-07-2008 | 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
Originally Posted by Point2Point
Has anyone thrown out the airmatic suspension in favor of a good coilover set up? Does anyone even make coilovers for the E55?
I've asked this before and the answer is no because of all the technological wizardr associated with the suspension.

Maybe while Jangy is under there he can do some more research.
Old 12-07-2008 | 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Point2Point
Victor vrus (VRP) at one time was involved in a coilover set up, try a search here or PM him.

EDIT Here post #4

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...onversion.html

Last edited by Yacht Master; 12-07-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Victor vrus (VRP) at one time was involved in a coilover set up, try a search here or PM him.

EDIT Here post #4

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...onversion.html
Yes he did say something about this a while ago. He said he was going to do it for non airmatic cars first then he might for the E55/E63.

Brabus has a kit for the W211 and C219 that deletes the Airmatic and puts in a standard coil-over kit.

With all the bushing flex in this car you dont need to worry about coil-overs. Its kind of a lost cause to stiffen up the car. AirMatic is actually a pretty good system for what this car needs.

Having seen these cars at the track, there is massive bushing deflection to a point where you might fear damaging the car in a hard corner with sticky tires. Car does ride well though.
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
anyone know where i can get a strut bar for the front of an E63? Or know anyone who makes one? Think this would hepl a lot...
There is a local company that will fabricate CF strut tower braces, they are almost finished with mine, I'm rplacing my factory units with lighter CF, they claim they can get them as ridgid as my stockers. They are not cheap, but can custom make for any car. Top notch quality and very light weight. Are you looking for front and rear or just front? Be prepared to drop close to $2000 for one, if that is in your budget let me know and I will PM you their info.
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Yes he did say something about this a while ago. He said he was going to do it for non airmatic cars first then he might for the E55/E63.

Brabus has a kit for the W211 and C219 that deletes the Airmatic and puts in a standard coil-over kit.

With all the bushing flex in this car you dont need to worry about coil-overs. Its kind of a lost cause to stiffen up the car. AirMatic is actually a pretty good system for what this car needs.

Having seen these cars at the track, there is massive bushing deflection to a point where you might fear damaging the car in a hard corner with sticky tires. Car does ride well though.
I agree, one other consideration when that Airmatic fails you can't roll. The possibility of that bothers me, a few members here have posted experiences of Airmatic failure and their cars being slammed to the point of contact with inerfender panels. That would so **** me off
Old 12-07-2008 | 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
There is a local company that will fabricate CF strut tower braces, they are almost finished with mine, I'm rplacing my factory units with lighter CF, they claim they can get them as ridgid as my stockers. They are not cheap, but can custom make for any car. Top notch quality and very light weight. Are you looking for front and rear or just front? Be prepared to drop close to $2000 for one, if that is in your budget let me know and I will PM you their info.
Well at that price I might only want the front, but if they would work out a deal for both then I would be game. I would really like CF ones to keep weight down. I have a lot of parts and labor costs on the horizon so need to be careful where the money goes and make sure its spent wisely.
Shoot me their info. Also if you can show me pics of yours.
Old 12-07-2008 | 10:18 PM

'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
renntech toe-links. stage 4 and love them.
Old 12-08-2008 | 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Jangy:

Yes a LSD such as quiafi is a MUST for track use. Please keep in mind that just like any handling mod, it will tighten up the rear end, causing MORE understeer, aka plow through the corners. You better have one LARGE rear bar or be prepeared to plow my friend, or from your post above run the front bar at its lightest setting but this will give you ALOT more front end rollover. Then again, your car should have enough power to simply throttle steer Good luck.

See yeah

PS: The larger rear bar will have the tendancy to lift the inside wheel when exiting a corner hard, which should REALLY test the quafi's durability. I have personaly fried several LSD's from using a larger rear bar, and ended up with a custom Auborn to handle this issue. Sadly they will not make one for our cars.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 12-08-2008 at 09:12 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Handling Mods, AGAIN!! Help me..'.