EXHAUST HEADER HEADACHE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2008 | 01:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Damn, Now that's funny.
What's the deal ? you want the most power? cut and weld... you spend your $$ and drive faster than the speed limit anyways thats not legal, is it? LONGTUBES MAN J&R Performance will soon have a set out that will kick AZZ, like no other
HAHA!!!! I'm sure some 55K guys would like the larger diameter and bent tubes for the shorties, too.....
Old 11-25-2008 | 02:32 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
What would solve the whole argument, would be if our tuners would make shorty and mide pipe combos.. This way the shorty headers would be made to flow well and we could just bolt a nice 2 cat, 4 cat or no cat system(off road only lol) per customer needs. No cutting , welding and easy to go back stock..

I would like to see Evo or other tuners at least offer both options. They would only need a fixture that would allow them to weld large ID collector or small ID collector .. The large Id collector could come with a new down pipe or a new mid pipe package.. I would think the majority of customers would buy a shory , mid pipe package with a 2 cat X pipe package. The power would be nice and easy bolt on package.

To me, that is the correct way to make a shorty header package. They can perform very close to longtube headers on a SC motor if made right..
Old 11-25-2008 | 05:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I would like to see Evo or other tuners at least offer both options.
To me, that is the correct way to make a shorty header package. They can perform very close to longtube headers on a SC motor if made right..
I get what you are saying and I do agree. Why does it need to be one of our tuners?
Old 11-25-2008 | 05:45 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by jangy
I get what you are saying and I do agree. Why does it need to be one of our tuners?
Ok, you got me there. I was being polite..

Who is Serge? I am Looking for under car pics of Kleeman install.. I
Old 11-25-2008 | 05:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Ok, you got me there. I was being polite..

Who is Serge? I am Looking for under car pics of Kleeman install.. I
HAHA!! I only say that because I have found so many exhaust shops around here that do magnificant work at really fair prices.

Serge has an independent MB service. He is a member here as sergesm3 or 99serge or something. I saw the re-worked kleeman headers many months ago and have no clue if they ever panned out. Sorry for not remebering, but i've been a little absent lately.
Old 11-25-2008 | 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I forgot what diameter my JP headers are. But here's a pic of the early prototype. They are nearly equal length tubes.
Old 11-25-2008 | 06:15 PM

SL 500
Jangy - The problem was not the emissions themselves but the fact that the computer would "get ready" because no primary cats were detected. Therefore it would not begin to measure emissions. Car was running nice and strong with CEL - just would not be ready for the emissions check.
Old 11-25-2008 | 06:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by psk145
I forgot what diameter my JP headers are. But here's a pic of the early prototype. They are nearly equal length tubes.
Who owns that? What ever happened? Can they be bought? what are the specs? If you have the "jig", would you consider loaning it? I want pipes bent, not welded and I want to choose my materials, etc. and even shop to do it. This would give them a 3d range that is more representative than the manifolds.
Old 11-25-2008 | 06:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Rocketman
Jangy - The problem was not the emissions themselves but the fact that the computer would "get ready" because no primary cats were detected. Therefore it would not begin to measure emissions. Car was running nice and strong with CEL - just would not be ready for the emissions check.
I am getting it. are you saying the emissions computer or your ECU? I have no idea about the "get ready" part. Was it that your ECU was throwing CELs? If so, I understand that issue and all i can say is that I have only had experience with the RennTech and VRP / PC tunes and both had no issue with turning off the CELs. Also, i am seeing more from members here that are recent kleeman customers and saying good things about the new "tune".

When did you have your issue and what came of it?
Old 11-25-2008 | 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
I'd have to say I agree with Jangy on all counts.
Old 11-25-2008 | 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Who owns that? What ever happened? Can they be bought? what are the specs? If you have the "jig", would you consider loaning it? I want pipes bent, not welded and I want to choose my materials, etc. and even shop to do it. This would give them a 3d range that is more representative than the manifolds.
jangster, you know what those are. They've been on my car for like a year now
Old 11-26-2008 | 12:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by psk145
jangster, you know what those are. They've been on my car for like a year now
I know what they are but i had no clue how they turned out or if the maker had more to sell or cost or anything really. Last I heard, you had the prototype..Did you dyno? wanna do a comparison with other brands? I have the VRP manifolds and want to try 2 potential new comers.
Old 11-26-2008 | 12:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by bobgodd
I'd have to say I agree with Jangy on all counts.

Lets do a vista meet and check out the shop you know. I want to decide between that one and the one in clairmont.
Old 11-26-2008 | 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Lets do a vista meet and check out the shop you know. I want to decide between that one and the one in clairmont.
I'm down.

I'd be willing to bet he's not open Thur-Sat, and I'll be in Nevada all week next week. Sucks lol.
Old 11-30-2008 | 01:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Alright guys, I did my homework and thanks for raising a very important point; there really is no true long tube system available for our cars for anything reasonable. That includes the E55 and the E63.

Who actually sells long tubes for these cars? SS, yes. Expensive and questionable fittings, but still AVAILABLE. Are there more? What is the price range for such a product?

Can anyone post the pic of the E55 and E63 exhaust diagram? I am curious about replacing the manifolds, primary cats, secondary cats, and associated plumbing to the OEM connectors in front of the resonators. This would make long headers a true bolt on (although tuning and coding is KEY) and the price should be under $2K installed. Update the tune and we should be able to see huge gains over the shortys. It was hard to find data, since few have done it but rocket19 showed almost 50hp gains...
Old 11-30-2008 | 01:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
I am getting it. are you saying the emissions computer or your ECU? I have no idea about the "get ready" part. Was it that your ECU was throwing CELs?
One of the emissions testing criteria, since transitioning to OBD-II, has been a "readiness code." This is set after a certain number of key/drive cycles and component actuation.

Anecdotal info coming in lately suggests that some existing CEL removal techniques don't allow for this state to be achieved. I believe this disqualifies the car from further testing, and consequently passing the test.
Old 11-30-2008 | 05:30 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Here is a general mid section view from my star manual. I have posted pictures of these pipes off the car in my Xpipe thread.. You can search that for more detail.
Attached Thumbnails EXHAUST HEADER HEADACHE-exh.jpg  

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-30-2008 | 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
One of the emissions testing criteria, since transitioning to OBD-II, has been a "readiness code." This is set after a certain number of key/drive cycles and component actuation.

Anecdotal info coming in lately suggests that some existing CEL removal techniques don't allow for this state to be achieved. I believe this disqualifies the car from further testing, and consequently passing the test.
While I can't confirm this with 100% certainly, logically I believe ChicagoX to be absolutely correct about this; it doesn't surprise me either - makes perfect sense.

In PA, we have annual inspections (including emissions). A little less than a year ago, my secondary-air injection system was acting up (pump failing), and kicking a CEL. My code reader identified the issue, and I cleared it. As luck would have it, I was almost at a point of needing my inspection anyway, and tried to have it done awhile later. The inspecting auto-shop's tech was puzzled, and asked me if I'd disconnected the battery recently (I hadn't). He explained that my ECU was registering that it wasn't "ready" to be tested, and consequently they couldn't pass my car. I had my car's secondary air injection pump replaced by the dealer, and had to wait a week or so until my car was registering as being "ready" for the OBD-II test part of the inspection.

So, presumably, an ECU tune that "resolves" a CEL by tricking the computer into not looking at those parameters, or perhaps by proactively clearing it or some equivalent, would logically mess with the ECU's readiness state - which at least in PA would automatically fail the car until such a time when the ECU could correctly be in a proper readiness state for the test.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 11-30-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2008 | 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Thanks . In Cali, I just assume that it won't pass if you played with it, regardless of the actual gasses emitted..
Old 12-01-2008 | 05:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Here is a general mid section view from my star manual. I have posted pictures of these pipes off the car in my Xpipe thread.. You can search that for more detail.
That is the exact thing that I want to replace. Does anyone know if making that piece (through the 2nd cats) is big enough to add long tube headers or do I need to modify the resonator back piece as well?

Has anyone custom fabricated that entire piece for an E55k before?
Old 12-01-2008 | 05:37 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
You should have plenty of room for 4 cats and long tubes in the space of the stock mid section. You will have to put your X pipe in the back section though; if you go that route.

Here is a link to a custom US car header and mid section company. You can see all the different exhaust style options for the high volume cars. May help with ideas ...

http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/ca...?cname=Headers

I plan on some form of Mid style headers, stock primary cats and then X pipe to replace secondary cats. I am hoping some more options will come on the market soon, as they are limited right now.. Get the headers on,, then time to work on ported heads and stall converter.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-01-2008 | 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
My X-pipe is where the resonator used to be. I no longer have that joint, but iwas thinking for those that want bolt on and not a hack and weld experience.
Old 12-01-2008 | 06:00 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I hear you. Usually a two cat system works for most customers and passes sniff test in most states. I am sure, the 4 cats and a X will fit but they will be all next to each other.Most customers will only want two cats..
I would like to see;Nice set of high flow mid to long tube headers and a nice Two cat/X mid pipe system kit.. Everyone can keep stock AMG exhaust and have an easy bolt on performance exhaust..

Not many cars have 4 cats and I think the extra 2 cats we have had more to do with some very strict long range European standards, but that is just a guess.
Old 12-01-2008 | 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Or very strict CA standards. Lots of times, other states will adopt CA emissions laws; sooner or later they all will unfortunately.