Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 In Northern Climate???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 In Northern Climate???

Anyone out there use their E55 as a daily driver, even in wintry weather...sleet/snow/ice?
Considering relocating to New England, and have a 211E55 on order.
Is the E55 unsuitable for the Northeast?
Will good winter tires balance off the torque and traction problems the E55 presents?
Or is a second vehicle a virtual necessity?
Old 01-10-2003, 01:29 PM
alz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have bad news

I live in NYC and drive to Westchester County nearly every weekend -- My E55 is downright dangerous in anything close to sleet or snow.

So you know, I am a graduate of the Bondurant school, Skip Barber and have raced SCCA (various classes) over the years, so I am not faint of heart.

I have a deposit down on a new E55, but am considering dropping it.

It really bothers me that I have to consider something less performance-oriented because of those 10 days or so of inclimate whether, but....

I actually have no idea what I can get that approximates the performance of the E55 -- an S8, Cayenne Twin Turbo??
Old 01-10-2003, 01:37 PM
alz

Two more things I forgot

I have used winter tires with little success and and have a second vehicle.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:22 PM

I had a deposit on an S8 when the current generation was first released, but backed out for several reasons.
If you're used to an E55, it will feel very slow (0-60 times are on par with the E500 as I recall), handling is OK but they're very big vehicles and you feel it, technology is currently well behind the E Class, depreciation is worse than peers. But having driven A8's in very heavy snow and slush, I will say the 4WD and handling characteristics are impressive in that environment.
I'm curious about the Cayenne as well.
Haven't yet seen one.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 E55
This is the first Chicago winter I have driven my E55. I have a set of 18 in wheels and winter tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M2). I drive it to work everyday and on those snowy/sleet days I have had no problems with stop and go. I think that as long as you realize that you can not push the car like it is a sunny 75 deg day, then you will do ok.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Don't try your E55 in wintry weather because you won't get very far with it. My E55 has been garaged since November and covered too. During the winter season I drive the ML320 and it is a very capable SUV. I had previous exprience with 1998 E430 Sport during the winter and let me tell you, I am glad to be alive. RWD car, even with sophisticated traction control, won't cut it in the snow. IMHO, E55 is not a year-round car unless you live in the sunshine states but I love the car and bought it anyway.

P.S. we are getting 1-2 feet of snow this weekend!!!

John
Old 01-10-2003, 10:50 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
no trouble with rear wheel drive

I drive a Volvo960 in the winter and when I go to Vermont on weekends and that car is great in the snow. I would never consider taking a car with that much hp and torque in the snow unless I had correct winter tires for it. The Volvo uses year round tires and it runs great.... even with the 129,000 miles on it. As soon as the weather gets better and we have a few rain falls to wash away the salt I will bring out the baby beast. The amount of salt gets me more concerned than the snow.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I think when I was on the second date with my wife (we were both native New Yorkers living in Great Neck at the time), it went like this " you know, if you would like to continue this relationship then you'd better be ready to move to Florida." Six years later we did. Just before we were married, I also told her "you know, I was into cars long before I was into girls, so cars will ALWAYS come first!" She was taken aback somewhat but I must say that laying the groundrules first has worked well for me. My wife loves south FL and will never return to the northeast, and is as anxious to get the W211 E55 as I am. This will be an AWESOME machine and the takehome message I'm suggesting is:

Don't cancel your order for the W211, move somewhere that will allow you to drive the E55 the way it is meant to be driven 12 months a year!!!!!!

Last edited by Dr Chill; 01-11-2003 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:07 AM

2001 E55, Silver/Charcol
Re: E55 In Northern Climate???

Originally posted by amg55
Anyone out there use their E55 as a daily driver, even in wintry weather...sleet/snow/ice?
Considering relocating to New England, and have a 211E55 on order.
Is the E55 unsuitable for the Northeast?
Will good winter tires balance off the torque and traction problems the E55 presents?
Or is a second vehicle a virtual necessity?
I live in Ontario (Canada) and have Pirelli Sno Sports on my E55 winter driving. These tires along with ESP make this car very well behaved in the snow. I actually have a winter car (97 neon, yes a neon), but I am finding that I am driving it less and less this winter because my E55 drives so nicely in this weather.

Thats my 2 cents US (3 cents CDN)
Old 01-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

E55
I am driving the 210 - E55 since three years in Switzerland and we have some snow. In winter the wintertires are on and the car gives no problem. Even going to the mountains for skiing I never had to put chains. It always worked quite well. The only thing you have to bear in mind is that you cannot push the car, just be gentle to the accelerator !!!

This weekend I am driving the new W211 E55 and we have some snow today. With wintertires, no problem.
Only point again: If you push the ESP light flickers constantly between 0 and 90 miles/h and you feel the car slightly dancing with the rearside. If you switch the ESP off, well than it's a real fun-car ))

I guess this is due to the more narrow wintertires and the humid road.

So unless you need to dig through more than 10 inches of snow I would not bother. Initially I was thinking about the same problem but was surprised when I saw the car for the first time behaving in snow.

Merlin
Old 01-11-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
e55
Merlin, can not wait for your review of the w211 E55. I hope you can snap some pics. It will be interesting to hear your comments, especially that you are a W210 E55 owner.

Well have fun, and I am really looking forward to read your comments.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:43 PM

The key is the tires not the car

I live in northern new england and used blizzaks on my m5's without any problem. In fact I now drive an e500 with the conti all seasons without any problems. If you're going to be tackling steep hill with deep snow then you need full blown snow tires otherwise a good all season performance tire will suffice in new england.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm encouraged.
There just isn't another car out there I want beside the E55 (well, other than the SL55...that's another story), and if I moved to Florida my wife would be waving goodbye as I drove off...so that's too expensive an option.
Will research the snow tire options if New England becomes next home.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:08 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
I am not surprised at all that the car responds well with snow tires but dodo's like me refuse to change my tires (NYC area) and therefore I have summer Rossos.... They are not fun in the snow. But it will be over in another 30 to 50 days and I will be out. I had a nice little 150 mile run today which was the first time I have had the car out in about 4 weeks. Felt so good!! I have a C32 which is significantly smaller and lighter but same hp although far less torque. Im tempted now to order some winter tires listening to all the fun some of you are having.