80mm TB - Y-pipe question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
80mm TB - Y-pipe question?

Has anyone had a problem with the Y-pipe unit fitting a new 80mm TB? On the 80mm TB I have there's no brackets for the Y-pipe clips to attach to. The Y bracket fits over the TB but it's not as secure as the stock setup (no brackets for the Y-pipe clips) and I keep getting a CEL. Does anyone have a cure for this or should this not be a concern? My car will be going into the shop tomorrow due to coolant leaking from either the radiator, hose, or water pump, and at that time I'll find out what's causing the CEL.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
No problem with 80mm t/b ending part no 25. Also has no clips for t/b y pipe like OE e55 item but was supplied with a rubber seal and oring and I just reply on a good push fit, it has held good for hard laps of the nurburgring - so i dont think this is the problem

The E55 early cars did have a recall for the cats, all cars not passing emmisions had to have cats replaced under warranty. My cats were done on an 04 plate for free by my dealer just 4 months ago. I think your cel is possibly related to bad cats - take it to the dealer and tell them you know about recall and to check if your car is suffering under warranty conditions.

Air is not measured before the t/b and so if you have your air filters connected by y pipe or not, the car doesnt know. A leak around the y pipe lets in hot engine air, which is not as dense as cool as ambient air in most climates and will equate to less power but not a cel.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I've had both styles on my car, too and no issues. I wish we got a CEL if there was a leak in that area. It would save me in brake cleaner.