Some advice on Airmatic needed -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Some advice on Airmatic needed -

Hi all,

I have a 06 E55 and since my ownership of this car for 2 months, I have had to replace 2 airmatic suspension on the front. Left and right both failed 1 week apart from each other.

Recently i noticed that my rear suspension , the left is slightly lower than the right. Height difference is about width of 1 finger. There is no 'stop car too low warning' .

Is this indicating of a pending rear failure ? or is this jsut a tune up needed to calibrate the height with the star ?

Any advice or previous experience with this ?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 AM

E55
same here!

had work on ft shocks and my left rear corner is lower than right rear.
still having mb look at it. I don't know if it the air bag on the left rear? but from looking from the rear view it looks like the left rear shock is worn.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
In both of your cases, I'd bet it is the FRONT shocks not being properly calibrated on install. The rear can NOT be adjusted (left to right). You can play with the front to shift the qeight and therefore adjust the rear. Very tricky but cool once you undertsand. get the calibration done, but be **** about where the car is sitting at the time.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:45 AM

E55
Airmatic problems

I just went to the workshop and have the suspension checked. My left rear is 5 mm lower than the right rear measured from tyre base to height of wheel arch.
With the Star system all it showed that the rear is level, pressure on all 4 are fine.
The front left and right are balanced in level from the ground.
There is just no adjustment to the rear for left and right setting.

Any advice on what other options to get the rear height level.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
My advice FWIW - forget the 5mm difference and enjoy the car.

You will, at times, have that difference between the fronts also.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Brave7012
I just went to the workshop and have the suspension checked. My left rear is 5 mm lower than the right rear measured from tyre base to height of wheel arch.
With the Star system all it showed that the rear is level, pressure on all 4 are fine.
The front left and right are balanced in level from the ground.
There is just no adjustment to the rear for left and right setting.

Any advice on what other options to get the rear height level.
This is not true nor is it how MB "troubleshoots" this issue. STAR only has one sensor in the rear to read from so there is simply NO WAY that star can tell that the rear is off.

That said, YOU CAN TUNE THE HEIGHT OF EACH CORNER BY PLAYING WITH THE FRONTS!!!!
The slightest of adjustments in the front makes a dramatic difference in the rear. Jeez, do people just not want to get it right? The dealer knows SQUAT about suspensions and adjustments. At best that is a body shop thing. 90% of all techs have no CLUE how to do the STAR suspension adjustment. Did they even bother calibrating the system or is it just tough? Nothing I hate more than a dealership that pretends to help by distracting the client from the truth. I know of so many E55s that have been in numerous times for warranty concerns that were made worse because of improper isolation of the issue.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by OzE55
My advice FWIW - forget the 5mm difference and enjoy the car.

You will, at times, have that difference between the fronts also.
You kidding me? Spend 100 grand to have it ride crooked? NO WAY.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by jangy
You kidding me? Spend 100 grand to have it ride crooked? NO WAY.

250 grand actually, in Oz. The ride height and side to side difference, if accurately measured, varies in my car from day to day. It always has and I understand I'm not the only one. I think a 5mm difference is not noticable to the vast majority of people - hence my 'just enjoy the car' comment. Of course if you lower the car then you have a more defined reference point with the tyre and wheel which may exaggerate the difference. Whether or not he can adjust the airmatic sensitively enough depends on the expertise of the person doing the adjusting. Most dealers, even here, have no idea about this stuff.