Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYNO'S HORSEPOWER RATING?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DYNO'S HORSEPOWER RATING?

Over the years we have beeb posting horse power and torque acheived by different tuners at different modification stages We sometimes get excited or dissopointed whenever we see high or low dyno numbers,not taking into consideration that that some dyno reads higher or lower than others,therefore it may not be a fair comparison to chose one tune over the other unless its done on the same type of dyno,and under the same conditions.That being said,does anyone knows the percentage difference in dynos reading?example Dynojet, Dyno Dianamics,Mustang etc.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by jamusa
Over the years we have beeb posting horse power and torque acheived by different tuners at different modification stages We sometimes get excited or dissopointed whenever we see high or low dyno numbers,not taking into consideration that that some dyno reads higher or lower than others,therefore it may not be a fair comparison to chose one tune over the other unless its done on the same type of dyno,and under the same conditions.That being said,does anyone knows the percentage difference in dynos reading?example Dynojet, Dyno Dianamics,Mustang etc.
Dyno Dynamics read about 10% lower than dyno Jets. Or Dyno Dynamics read about 10% better than Dyno Jets, from what i've heard.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Dyno Dynamics read about 10% lower than dyno Jets. Or Dyno Dynamics read about 10% better than Dyno Jets, from what i've heard.

If what you hear holds true,then that means that a 500hp car should reads 550hp on the higher reading dyno.So whenever one tells us how much power was made,they should tell us allso,on what dyno was it tested,to fairly match apples to apples.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 PM

GT-R
I think that mustang dynos also read about 10% lower than dynojets.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
The actual numbers generated by a dyno, really don't mean that much other than bragging rights. What IS important is that you STAY with the same dyno during your modding so that you can see IF you are going in the right direction. In a nut shell NO dyno EVER won a drag race, or a street light event
I have seen 600 RWHP dynoed cars run 13's because of traction, and I have seen 250 cars go 12's.

Use them for what they are, aka a GREAT tool to make sure you are going about things properly.

PS: They also are good to learn about your AF ratio, aka KABOOM

See yeah
Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I hate to add a twist to this discussion, but it really hammers home the notion that you need to use dyno numbers for what they are and not absolutes. Definitely try to use the same dyno. Out here, we even try for one near the beach since the temperatures stay more consistent there.

Not only does one setup run +/-10%, but the actual run conditions end up varying. What gas is used, how the car is strapped down, how the car is fed air, how it is put through the load, how the A/F is read, etc. etc.

That is why numbers posted by others means little to me. The mods that we are talking about bring 100 - 200 (max) hp. Doing a proper pre-mod dyno and continuing with regular monitoring will help with the tuning but it just can't be that exact.