Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2006 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
New 2006 E55

Hello all. I am a new member to this forum. I just purchased a CPO 2006 E55 and have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to add voice activation to my vehicle. It didn't come with it factory installed, but I see where the "nub" for it is on the steering wheel/column.

2) My car did not come with the iPod connection; however, in the glove box, there is a port/jack near the top center of the glove box.. Is this where the connection would go? If so, can I only pick this up from a MB dealer or can they be purchased elsewhere? If this indeed will control a iPod, does the car itself control the iPod (like on my wife's 09 C300) or do I have to operate the iPod manually. I will be using the first generation iPod Touch 16GB if it matters.

3) My car did not come with the bluetooth kit installed. Is it possible to add this at the dealership?

4) I have only heard this once, so I know it will be hard to pin down, but will attempt to explain what I heard to the best of my ability. After taking my friend for a spin in my car (and driving it the way it was meant to be driven... hard and fast), as I was making a u-turn, I heard a long "ding." I didn't have the opportunity to look at the dash to see if any messages were displayed, as my friend asked what the sound was and I was talking to him. It was the first and only time I have heard the sound. I have started it up since bringing it home yesterday when I heard the sound and haven't heard it again. I know I am getting pretty low on gas (the gas light is on in the dash) and some cars will tone for this, but the light was already on... It was only one long ding and didn't do it again...

The only other issue I have with the car is that the active dampening system switch is not functioning. It is stuck in the down position but the light doesn't come on and the switch won't pop back up. This is being taken care of next Monday by the service department where I purchased the vehicle. If I pry the switch up and press it again, it will work and if I pry it back up and press it again, it will turn off, so I am sure it just needs the switch replaced.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
First, congratulations! Post a picture of your ride. But, fair warning here... you're going to get murdered on this board if you don't go do some homework first. Every question you have has been discussed in detail. Just use the search function.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by 06E55
1) Is it possible to add voice activation to my vehicle. It didn't come with it factory installed, but I see where the "nub" for it is on the steering wheel/column.
Yes you can. Much of the hardware is there, you simply need to buy the module and have an install. I believe it ran upwards of $2k, though and is strickly voice activation (not telephone bluetooth). I know of very few that use it.

2) My car did not come with the iPod connection; however, in the glove box, there is a port/jack near the top center of the glove box.. Is this where the connection would go? If so, can I only pick this up from a MB dealer or can they be purchased elsewhere? If this indeed will control a iPod, does the car itself control the iPod (like on my wife's 09 C300) or do I have to operate the iPod manually. I will be using the first generation iPod Touch 16GB if it matters.
That jack is simply an auxilary input. You can send the music from your iPOD through it, but you can not "control" it without getting the "kit". But, our cars have a fiber optic electrical system, so the install of an iPOD kit on the E is about 4 hours, since the rear seat has to be removed. there are two accessory input jacks and both are under the rear seat. The C-Class is much easier to install, since the location of the accessory plug ins is much more convenient.
3) My car did not come with the bluetooth kit installed. Is it possible to add this at the dealership?
Yes. Do your research as there are cheap as well as expensive options. Bundle it with voice activation, if you go that route.

4) ...as I was making a u-turn, I heard a long "ding." ...
Never heard of that one.
Hope that helps...
Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody, Porsche Cayenne, International Scout
Congratulations on the new ride, bro. I know you're gonna enjoy it! Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Congrats and welcome to the club.

I purchased my '06' two years ago as a CPO car with 8k miles. Favorite daily driver of all time! Now have 32K trouble free miles with the exception of replacing the IC pump two months ago which was done under warranty.

You'll never get tired of the torque.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
///AMG
Congrats and welcome.

Originally Posted by speedpeddler
Congrats and welcome to the club.

I purchased my '06' two years ago as a CPO car with 8k miles. Favorite daily driver of all time! Now have 32K trouble free miles with the exception of replacing the IC pump two months ago which was done under warranty.

You'll never get tired of the torque.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM

A slow Tahoe!
Originally Posted by 06E55
Hello all. I am a new member to this forum. I just purchased a CPO 2006 E55 and have a few questions.

4) I have only heard this once, so I know it will be hard to pin down, but will attempt to explain what I heard to the best of my ability. After taking my friend for a spin in my car (and driving it the way it was meant to be driven... hard and fast), as I was making a u-turn, I heard a long "ding." I didn't have the opportunity to look at the dash to see if any messages were displayed, as my friend asked what the sound was and I was talking to him. It was the first and only time I have heard the sound. I have started it up since bringing it home yesterday when I heard the sound and haven't heard it again. I know I am getting pretty low on gas (the gas light is on in the dash) and some cars will tone for this, but the light was already on... It was only one long ding and didn't do it again...

The only other issue I have with the car is that the active dampening system switch is not functioning. It is stuck in the down position but the light doesn't come on and the switch won't pop back up. This is being taken care of next Monday by the service department where I purchased the vehicle. If I pry the switch up and press it again, it will work and if I pry it back up and press it again, it will turn off, so I am sure it just needs the switch replaced.
Did you buy camdon's car?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:44 PM

08 E63 Wagon
There was a white 06 E55 at Leith MB 2 weeks ago. White with maroon/gray interior.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by nismorg
There was a white 06 E55 at Leith MB 2 weeks ago. White with maroon/gray interior.
Yes, this is probably the one that I purchased...
Old 10-03-2009, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Welcome brother, Does your car have dynamic seats? If so I've heard that ding if I'm over working the air pump for the dynamic seats, seems like a warning before it shuts down. Hope that helps.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Congrats on your new ride, post some pics when you have time.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:00 PM

06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
Congrats and welcome! Just got my '06 as well. You will LOOOOVVE your car. Be safe!