E55 to SL65....Anyone done this move?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Ya, until the girlfriend/wife gets her hands on the SL.
Have you ever seen the way a woman looks at a lipstick RED SL?
They @ other colors too but maybe, just maybe the driver might have something to do w/this Naaa gold diggin' hoars would be just if not more interested if you're 90 & bout to push up daisy's
Old 12-09-2008, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
This will be my daily driver. I don't drive much, I don't drive in bad weather often (just work out of the house), I live down town so a night out on the town usually involves walking and/or public transport.
I'm sorry to hear that

I bought my E55 as I just liked the package better than the SL55 (even though I don't need what makes the package special) and while the CL55 was appealing, it felt very dated compared to the E and SL. I never considered buying an SL65 as when I got my E55, they still wanted all the dough for the SL65.
The differences between the SL55 and the SL65 aren't worlds apart - I mean yes the engines feel significantly different but as far as braking, handling, interior, etc they are very close and although the SL65 does beat out the SL55 - if you liked the E55 over the SL55 I don't see how the SL65 will change your mind on motor alone. I mean the biturbo is a butter smooth engine with gobs of torque but that is only a part of what gives a car "feeling"

I have used a 996 GT3 for a daily driver with a, gutted luggage compartment, rear cage, harnesses, and the carbon fiber track seats so I am not set on supper luxury but I did have full leather including a leather airbag and leather vents with deviated stitching (I like details in cars).

Bottom line, I like to buy my cars as toys and even if they are exotic, I like to drive them around. Performance on a track (with or without curves) is not relevant as I have a Formula Mazda that does that better than most anything else.

I guess what I am asking is if the SL65 is going to be a blast when compared to the E55 both around town and on the highway. I have a heavy right foot and also like to use the binders hard. I don't intend to canyon carve and while some would argue otherwise, AMG's are the wrong car for that.

I usually keep something exotic around as a toy but extreme lack of time kept me from replacing the toy I sold last year. I do intend to pick up either a Gallardo or GT2 as my next toy car.

As I don't keep any car long, I will probably not keep the SL65 for longer than 12-24 months and will by a car with appropriate warranty so service is not an issue.
We are fortunate that MB offers such a plethora of cars, and with that said I think there are some other choices out there that really may fall better inline with what you are looking for. I realize that the 65 prices have fallen significantly but I don't think you should just jump out and buy one cause it's cheap compared to it's original MSRP - it's sounding like it may not be the car for you.

The SL65 in my opinion is really a special car as it appeals to a certain type of customer. Now I realize they are much cheaper in today's market but if you look at it from the original price, this is a car that competes with some pretty amazing machines in it's segment - many of which offer some considerable upsides. The guy who buys the SL65 is someone who's ok with the fact that the R230 is not necessarily "rare" - as it's a platform with multiple trims. It's not a jaw dropper like some exotics in it's car class. It's automatic only and for the most part "soft" compared to others. Finally, it's depreciation is staggering so one must really love the car to lose his shirt on it as badly as he does. On the upside though - no car combines power, comfort, looks, amenities, practicality, daily drivability, and build quality quite like the SL65 - that's really why I own one.

So with this added info and knowing that I like cars of all types and styles as long as they are special, is the SL65 going to give me more smiles per mile than an E55 in the thrust and braking department?

Any yes, I know that I am crazy so no one really needs to point that out.
I don't think if you liked the E55 over the SL55, the SL65 will offer enough of a "difference" to warrant the switch. If you want my honest recommendation of an AMG - I have 3:

CLK63 Black Series
SLK55
C63

None of them are as fast as a stock SL65 but I truly and honestly think you need to find some of these cars and take them for a spin. The CLK63, in my mind, sounds like the real winner for what you are looking for. Smiles in acceleration, handling, braking, but not as completely raw as a stripped out GT3. Watch the Top Gear vids on the car, and even check out Jeremy Clarkson's video "Thriller"

Given you don't care for a roadster's top down benefits, the SL55 wasn't that great for you, and you've owned a GT3, I would honestly recommend giving a CLK63 a looksee and then if you come back saying that's not the right car, we can talk R230s

-m
Old 12-10-2008, 01:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G63, 360CS, CLK63 BS, 997.2TT, 328D
I agree and the CLK63 Black series i have seen in the 80s on eBay which is a steal since a year ago they were over 120. Also very rare and exclusive to say the least and a brand new car. I +1 the CLK63 BS i think that is the car for you and with the mods it will be a 120mph trap car.

Justin
Old 12-10-2008, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost

CLK63 Black Series
SLK55
C63

None of them are as fast as a stock SL65 but I truly and honestly think you need to find some of these cars and take them for a spin. The CLK63, in my mind, sounds like the real winner for what you are looking for. Smiles in acceleration, handling, braking, but not as completely raw as a stripped out GT3. Watch the Top Gear vids on the car, and even check out Jeremy Clarkson's video "Thriller"

-m
Thanks for the input Marcus.

I love the SLK55 (looks great, nimble for an AMG) and I think my wife will pick one up in the spring to replace her current car. For me, it doesn't have the power I need and going to an aftermarket S/C isn't worth the $$$$ I need.

The C63 is a fantastic car but also not enough but will out handle the E55 in a flat second.

The CLK63 BS is a great recommendation and I really love the car and the power is good but once again would miss the slam from forced induction.

You are also correct in that it is not what these cars cost to buy but how much they depreciate that determines the real cost. I have owned plenty of expensive cars and none of them have even come remotely close to the depreciation of an AMG. All I have to say is that AMGs are great cars and worth the loss but that's just me.

I am still leaning towards an SL65 for the power and comfort but will think about the CLK63 BS a bit. I just really like the concept of a TT V12 and what it does to the tires stock, let alone after you throw a tune on it.

Thanks for all the input. I will drive an SL65 before buying one but I think it will fit the bill.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Thanks for the input Marcus.

I love the SLK55 (looks great, nimble for an AMG) and I think my wife will pick one up in the spring to replace her current car. For me, it doesn't have the power I need and going to an aftermarket S/C isn't worth the $$$$ I need.
There were a few SC'd SLK55s for sale recently...

The C63 is a fantastic car but also not enough but will out handle the E55 in a flat second.
I think the C63 with bolt ons and once the ECU is sorted out will be in the 120mph range, all motor. That is crazy quick.

The CLK63 BS is a great recommendation and I really love the car and the power is good but once again would miss the slam from forced induction.

You are also correct in that it is not what these cars cost to buy but how much they depreciate that determines the real cost. I have owned plenty of expensive cars and none of them have even come remotely close to the depreciation of an AMG. All I have to say is that AMGs are great cars and worth the loss but that's just me.

I am still leaning towards an SL65 for the power and comfort but will think about the CLK63 BS a bit. I just really like the concept of a TT V12 and what it does to the tires stock, let alone after you throw a tune on it.

Thanks for all the input. I will drive an SL65 before buying one but I think it will fit the bill.
I wouldn't focus too much on the power - I mean you quite clearly have a taste for handling and the CLK63 is not going to be "slow" - with ECU (and even some without) the car is as fast as a 55 car. It's not as fast as an SL65 but I just am not sure if the power of the V12 is going to be enough given some of the other details you have provided (indifference for retractable roof, distaste for the SL55, etc).

Go drive a CKL63 BS...

-m
Old 12-11-2008, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I wouldn't focus too much on the power - I mean you quite clearly have a taste for handling and the CLK63 is not going to be "slow" - with ECU (and even some without) the car is as fast as a 55 car. It's not as fast as an SL65 but I just am not sure if the power of the V12 is going to be enough given some of the other details you have provided (indifference for retractable roof, distaste for the SL55, etc).

Go drive a CKL63 BS...

-m
I hear what you are saying but I have always bought AMG cars for power power paired with comfort and not much else. They make me feel like I am 16 again and are muscle cars always should have been!

Still leaning towards the SL65 just because I really want that TT V12. I really wish I had the scratch to blow on the SL65 BS's depreciation curve as that car has my name all over it (and probably every other member of the forum). Life's a b*tch.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 PM

2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
great info here. i am considering trading the E55 for an SL55 also. Love the E55 though. If it was up to me, the RRS would go and the SL55 would be in its place.

EDIT - not to say i dont like the RRS but I want the SL55 more at this point

Last edited by E55_GT3wheels; 12-11-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-13-2008, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I hear what you are saying but I have always bought AMG cars for power power paired with comfort and not much else. They make me feel like I am 16 again and are muscle cars always should have been!

Still leaning towards the SL65 just because I really want that TT V12. I really wish I had the scratch to blow on the SL65 BS's depreciation curve as that car has my name all over it (and probably every other member of the forum). Life's a b*tch.
Well I have to admit you've left me scratching my head! You had indicated feel was important in terms of the whole package, and after having given the SL55 an unfavorable review I just was not sure if the 65 would differentiate itself enough other than the V12 to make you a believer. However, now it sounds like the V12 might be enough to make you overlook the other aspects of the R230 that you initially did not like?

I'd really give the CLK63 BS a whirl... it's not a slow car, easily in the same league as a stock 55 car... if not drive the 65. The most important thing I always recommend to ANYONE when they ask me for advice between multiple cars is DRIVING them. ALL of them. DON'T just drive one and make a decision. If you are considering a few cars, DRIVE THEM ALL. You can speculate all you want about x,y, and z attributes/stats but that may mean nothing when it comes to how driving the car feels to you. That, in the end, is the most important factor!

Good luck,

-m