E55 to SL65....Anyone done this move?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
E55 to SL65....Anyone done this move?

I'm seriously toying with the idea of replacing my E55 with an SL65.

There is a large bump in power and torque but how does the SL65 "feel" compared to the E55? I am interested in braking feel, steering feel, and overall handling. I will not be able to drive one before buying it but I know the SL55 well and like how it drives even though I prefer the E55 to it.

BTW, Just to keep this from turning into a discussion of practicality...I hardly ever carry even one passenger and wouldn't even remotely miss the trunk as I don't carry more than a briefcase. As to open v. closed top...I drive my roadsters with the top up 99.9% of the time so that isn't a consideration either (yes I know I am strange).

Any comments?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
I say go for it, I too am considering the V12 cars. I like the SL but wish Mercedes would return to the hard top and convertible top arrangement. Seems like a great time to buy the prices are low and getting lower.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Consider the SL55

Check out Vehix.com for a review and many, many SL65 buying opportunities. I personally prefer the SL55 over the SL65. The SL65 is heavier and does not handle as well as the E55 and SL55; it uses a lot more gas; it is difficult to insure; it has the same 0-60 times as the SL55; there may be a future replacement parts problem (MB is discontinuing the V12); more mechanics are familiar with the V8 vs. V12, and the SL55 is a cheaper to own and maintain over time. I think you'll find that most reviews recommend the SL55 over the SL65. You're going to pay more for the SL65 and may be able to get a newer SL55 with less miles and a CPO for the same price. However, having said that I wouldn't own either car without a warranty! BTW, you may be putting the top down a lot more than you think. It's addictive and a great experience! JMHO.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
Check out Vehix.com for a review and many, many SL65 buying opportunities. I personally prefer the SL55 over the SL65. The SL65 is heavier and does not handle as well as the E55 and SL55; it uses a lot more gas; it is difficult to insure; it has the same 0-60 times as the SL55; there may be a future replacement parts problem (MB is discontinuing the V12); more mechanics are familiar with the V8 vs. V12, and the SL55 is a cheaper to own and maintain over time. I think you'll find that most reviews recommend the SL55 over the SL65. You're going to pay more for the SL65 and may be able to get a newer SL55 with less miles and a CPO for the same price. However, having said that I wouldn't own either car without a warranty! BTW, you may be putting the top down a lot more than you think. It's addictive and a great experience! JMHO.
Interesting comments as I would have thought the SL65 would have had more attention paid to the suspension and brakes to make it a step up from the SL55.

I am aware that the SL65 s no quicker to 60 due to traction limitations but from 60-150....SL55 say good bye.

I don't care about servicing as I would buy a car under warranty and don't keep them long enough to worry about it.

You are right about dropping the top being addictive as I used to drop it on my M Roadster and SLK32. But I bought my SLK32 because it was the quickest AMG available in late '01 when it came out and I bought the '02 MR because I couldn't get an M Coupe and sold it as soon as I found an '02 M Coupe so I really don't buy roadsters unless the car I want is not available in another form.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
I say go for it, I too am considering the V12 cars. I like the SL but wish Mercedes would return to the hard top and convertible top arrangement. Seems like a great time to buy the prices are low and getting lower.
I hear you as the CL really doesn't do it for me compared to the SL. The SL65 BS would be perfect for me but there is NO WAY I would drop $300K on a car that depreciates like a lead brick (all AMG's have and I expect this to be no exception).

As to price, the 65s are bargain basement and dropping by the hour!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Marcus Frost has both, let's see if he chimes in.

I personally thing the 65 is a great car although I prefer the CL since I abhor convertibles, and would even go so far as to say I would drive it daily. And replacement parts will not be an issue. They may have to come from Germany, but you can still get a taillamp lens for a Gullwing.

Maybe you could get a BS roof for the car

Nick
Old 12-07-2008, 12:54 AM

SL65 VRP1000 and 20" Monolites
I started out in the MB world w an E55.. I drove it for about a year... Then I upgraded to the SL65...

I sold my E55 to my business partner, and he immediately sent it to Kleeman and put the K4 kit in it.

As far as performance, side by side, same conditions, etc... the K4 E55 held it's own with my Renntech SL65..it all depended on who got the jump.. all the way up to the limiters at 186mph.

As far as braking, steering, etc... IMO they are pretty similar... we never did take them on the track at the same time, so I can't really say about "feel" on the track, but around town, and daily driving, they felt about the same to me.

But, the convertible factor is definately worth the SL upgrade, IMO... That's why I "upgraded"...

I really loved the E55... and I really love the SL65... the only "real" difference IMO is the convertible factor, and the non-stealthy factor..
Old 12-08-2008, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If for no other reason,

https://mbworld.org/forums/general-m...y-sad-day.html
Old 12-08-2008, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Do it...I'm headed down that road SOON. I'm not getting rid of the E55 just having a little extra love in the garage. I have always wanted a powerful convertible and the SL65 fits the bill.

I'd considered the TT P-car convertible but I prefer the hard top of the SL65. The Aston Marton convertible isn't powerful enough even though it is beautiful.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I get asked this a lot, not necessarily from the perspective of how to make the transition from one to the other, but rather the differences from the two in terms of feel/performance/etc...

It's a hard question to answer without going crazy. Some people think that because they are both AMGs they are alike, but they are very, very different. I've had two biturbos and two kompressors now so I feel pretty informed on the topic but I that just makes the discussion more long winded. They deliver power very differently, they handle differently, they sound different, they brake differently, they feel different. They share nothing except being extremely powerful and comfortable.

I think you would be better served by stating what you are looking for in a car - why the SL interests you - what you want to use it for. You say it's not about practicality but then why don't you consider an SL55 or an S65? Why does the E55 feel "better" than the SL55? Why consider the SL65?

The biturbo has tremendous potential but the Kompressors are little by little making headway too. We've seen some VR600 and VR675 cars run crazy trap speeds and while I think the 65 platform offers more potential, most people will be perfectly happy with a 125mph car.

For me it's the combination that works - not one over the other. The E55 is my business car that I also use for many other things such as nights out on the town or the occasional weekend drive. The SL is my top down summer monster that I can still take to work, drive around the city, to the drag strip, to a night out with the woman, or take on a 250 mile road trip. It's a TRUE every day supercar that you can easily put 100k miles on and drive it all year round if you really wanted to without any concern (except snow tires, but it does great with them). The SL65 was cross shopped against the 997TT and Gallardo, but wound up winning because it suited what I wanted the best. Those are the cars I feel it competes with. One of the best parts is taking that top down and getting a good dose of Vitamin D, but at the same time not cringing when you put the top up because it looks like crap with it up. If you aren't going to use this amazing benefit of the R230 platform, I really feel sorry for you!

If the back seat of the E55 is worthless for you, why do you own one? It's a 4-door car... I own one because I do use the back seat and need the practicality of a sedan. If you don't need it, you are really negating a big part of what makes the E55 special - the performance with the practicality of 4-doors.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but maybe it will provoke some thought for you to kind of give a little more info on what exactly you are looking for from a car, rather than trying the impossible of comparing the E55 to the SL65.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 12-09-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:22 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I knew my man Marcus would chime in and shed detailed light on this. Well put!

Nick

PS, still waiting!!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55

this is tragic.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I get asked this a lot, not necessarily from the perspective of how to make the transition from one to the other, but rather the differences from the two in terms of feel/performance/etc...

It's a hard question to answer without going crazy. Some people think that because they are both AMGs they are alike, but they are very, very different. I've had two biturbos and two kompressors now so I feel pretty informed on the topic but I that just makes the discussion more long winded. They deliver power very differently, they handle differently, they sound different, they brake differently, they feel different. They share nothing except being extremely powerful and comfortable.

I think you would be better served by stating what you are looking for in a car - why the SL interests you - what you want to use it for. You say it's not about practicality but then why don't you consider an SL55 or an S65? Why does the E55 feel "better" than the SL55? Why consider the SL65?

The biturbo has tremendous potential but the Kompressors are little by little making headway too. We've seen some VR600 and VR675 cars run crazy trap speeds and while I think the 65 platform offers more potential, most people will be perfectly happy with a 125mph car.

For me it's the combination that works - not one over the other. The E55 is my business car that I also use for many other things such as nights out on the town or the occasional weekend drive. The SL is my top down summer monster that I can still take to work, drive around the city, to the drag strip, to a night out with the woman, or take on a 250 mile road trip. It's a TRUE every day supercar that you can easily put 100k miles on and drive it all year round if you really wanted to without any concern (except snow tires, but it does great with them). The SL65 was cross shopped against the 997TT and Gallardo, but wound up winning because it suited what I wanted the best. Those are the cars I feel it competes with. One of the best parts is taking that top down and getting a good dose of Vitamin D, but at the same time not cringing when you put the top up because it looks like crap with it up. If you aren't going to use this amazing benefit of the R230 platform, I really feel sorry for you!

If the back seat of the E55 is worthless for you, why do you own one? It's a 4-door car... I own one because I do use the back seat and need the practicality of a sedan. If you don't need it, you are really negating a big part of what makes the E55 special - the performance with the practicality of 4-doors.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but maybe it will provoke some thought for you to kind of give a little more info on what exactly you are looking for from a car, rather than trying the impossible of comparing the E55 to the SL65.

-m
+1...Marcus knows what he speaks of...
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
E55 or SL65????

Apple or Orange???

Both great cars from the same mother….

But very different fathers.

This is a tough call. I have a good friend that has an SL55, which made me fall in love with AMGs, I guess what I want to know is why the 65 over the 55?? Is it really worth that much more money for a marginal difference in total performance?

SL55 is a great car for around the city and you can still feel the power and enjoy it for what it is worth as for the SL65, you really would not feel or see the difference unless you are on the track or a very long stretch of open highway. Is it worth the extra 30 grand… Id get the SL55 and take the extra 30grand and put it towards wheels and a stage 2 upgrade. …. But that is just my 2 cents!!

Back to the question at hand… E55 and the SL55 (sorry I can’t really compare to the 65) feel very different. SL55 is the total package when it comes to a sports car. Basically take your E55… lower… widen… and tighten everything up and that is how the SL will feel when you drive it. It is a great car and performs even better. Besides the fact they are both AMGs there really are not many similarities about the two cars. Even just sitting in the SL is a whole different world… you are much lower and the cabin basically hugs you when you are in there.

In the end, I would have to leave you with this… if you want a sports car and something that grabs attention all the time then go with the SL but if you want a sports/lux that is a total sleeper, stay with the E… it all comes down to weighing you options.

Best of luck !!! Keep us up to date on your thoughts and questions.

PS - Good info Marcus
Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost

-m
Thanks Marcus.

I completely understand what you are talking about, it is comparing an apple to an orange.

This will be my daily driver. I don't drive much, I don't drive in bad weather often (just work out of the house), I live down town so a night out on the town usually involves walking and/or public transport.

I bought my E55 as I just liked the package better than the SL55 (even though I don't need what makes the package special) and while the CL55 was appealing, it felt very dated compared to the E and SL. I never considered buying an SL65 as when I got my E55, they still wanted all the dough for the SL65.

I do not like the S-Class (way too big for me) so the S65 is out of the question.

I have used a 996 GT3 for a daily driver with a, gutted luggage compartment, rear cage, harnesses, and the carbon fiber track seats so I am not set on supper luxury but I did have full leather including a leather airbag and leather vents with deviated stitching (I like details in cars).

Bottom line, I like to buy my cars as toys and even if they are exotic, I like to drive them around. Performance on a track (with or without curves) is not relevant as I have a Formula Mazda that does that better than most anything else.

I guess what I am asking is if the SL65 is going to be a blast when compared to the E55 both around town and on the highway. I have a heavy right foot and also like to use the binders hard. I don't intend to canyon carve and while some would argue otherwise, AMG's are the wrong car for that.

I usually keep something exotic around as a toy but extreme lack of time kept me from replacing the toy I sold last year. I do intend to pick up either a Gallardo or GT2 as my next toy car.

As I don't keep any car long, I will probably not keep the SL65 for longer than 12-24 months and will by a car with appropriate warranty so service is not an issue.

So with this added info and knowing that I like cars of all types and styles as long as they are special, is the SL65 going to give me more smiles per mile than an E55 in the thrust and braking department?

Any yes, I know that I am crazy so no one really needs to point that out.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:29 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I say keep the E55 and ADD the SL65.. I plan to Add a 65 but still keep the CL55. At these prices, I need to build a larger garage for all the AMG`s cars on my list..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I say keep the E55 and ADD the SL65.. I plan to Add a 65 but still keep the CL55. At these prices, I need to build a larger garage for all the AMG`s cars on my list..
Nice idea but I don't have the extra space to add another "toy car" if I add an SL65 and keep the E55. Not to mention that I would almost never drive the E55 again as I would buy the SL65 to be my daily driver.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Nice idea but I don't have the extra space to add another "toy car" if I add an SLY and keep the E55. Not to mention that I would almost never drive the E55 again as I would buy the SL65 to be my daily driver.
Ya, until the girlfriend/wife gets her hands on the SL.
Have you ever seen the way a woman looks at a lipstick RED SL?

BTW I have a 60' X 40' steel building for sale, will deliver.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 12-09-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
...I guess what I am asking is if the SL65 is going to be a blast when compared to the E55 both around town and on the highway. I have a heavy right foot and also like to use the binders hard. I don't intend to canyon carve and while some would argue otherwise, AMG's are the wrong car for that.
As I don't keep any car long, I will probably not keep the SL65 for longer than 12-24 months and will by a car with appropriate warranty so service is not an issue.
Given those parameters, Blacksport, I'd suggest getting the SL65 and upgrading the brake pads and tires to something like Pagid racing pads and Toyo R888 tires. Or maybe even installing Brembo calipers and rotors then reinstalling the AMG calipers and rotors and selling the Brembos when you get rid of the car in 12 - 24 months.

Grippy pads and tires should give you the extra braking capability you're looking for. Plus, in the worst case, you're out of the car in 12 months time.

FWIW....
Old 12-09-2008, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by jmf003
Or maybe even installing Brembo calipers and rotors then reinstalling the AMG calipers and rotors and selling the Brembos when you get rid of the car in 12 - 24 months.

Grippy pads and tires should give you the extra braking capability you're looking for. Plus, in the worst case, you're out of the car in 12 months time.

FWIW....
I thought Brembo calipers/brakes were oem on Merc-AMG

Brembo Brakes
Ferrari's stamp of approval, and its choice of Brembo brakes as standard equipment on its Formula 1 cars in the 1970s, put Brembo brakes on the high-performance map. Prior to that, Brembo brakes were primarily seen on motorcycles buzzing through the Italian alps. But when Enzo chose a supplier, people sat up and took notice, so Brembo brakes soon found their way onto sports cars and racing cars the world over. The company has never looked back: As a supplier of high-end brakes to production cars, Brembo brakes can be found in the wheelwells of such highly respected vehicles as the M-series BMWs and the AMG Mercedes. You can put the ultra performance stopping power of Brembo brakes in your vehicle too, though. There is a full line of rotors, pads, and Brembo brakes produced just for retrofitting onto sport compact cars, muscle cars, and whatever hot rod your mind can create. Remember, Ferrari doesn't choose just anyone to supply brakes for their racing cars: They choose Brembo brakes. Doesn't it make sense for you to specify Brembo brakes on your high-performance street car too?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya, until the girlfriend/wife gets her hands on the SL.
Have you ever seen the way a woman looks at a lipstick RED SL?

BTW I have a 60' X 40' steel building for sale, will deliver.
The wife has her own toys so she can stay away from mine!

I would love that steel building if there was a place to put it. Hmmm, I wonder if I could tear down the building next door?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Thericker
I thought Brembo calipers/brakes were oem on Merc-AMG
They are but there is a larger setup that can be fitted to most cars.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by E55 Bulldog
SL55 is a great car for around the city and you can still feel the power and enjoy it for what it is worth as for the SL65, you really would not feel or see the difference unless you are on the track or a very long stretch of open highway. Is it worth the extra 30 grand…
Are you kidding?

I had the opportunity to drive both SL55 & SL600 before purchase, the difference in acceleration in the SL600 was notable @ any speed (the 600 motor dynos STOCK at 450-480rwhp & 530-550rwto, they are severely underrated as is the 65 AMG they put down 650rwto BONE STOCK)

I realize were talking about the SL65 but both are Torque monsters & the diference between 65 would/will be even greater compared to the SL55 again @ any speed

The torque is available @ 1800 rpm's

If you test drive a 65AMG you will leave the lot in it period.. I'm so enamored w/the power I plan on upgrading to the SL65 in a year or so
Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
They are but there is a larger setup that can be fitted to most cars.
+1. I should have used words along the lines of "Brembo Big Brake Kit."

Last edited by jmf003; 12-09-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by jmf003
+1. I should have used words along the lines of "Brembo Big Brake Kit."
my bad I should've figured..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 to SL65....Anyone done this move?