Sponsored by:

Thermostat install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Thermostat install?

I'm thinking about starting my mods with a 160* thermostat (and next a pulley and tune), but wanted to make sure I have some direction before I order one and begin the install. I did a search and found the following :
"Take off the engine cover, look for the slot where the engine cover front clip clips in, move all that crap and have fun, you don't need to remove it all just move it out of the way. Follow the radiator hose there and you will see it. "

Anybody who has done the swap have any pics or advice? Could an avg DIY handle in about an hour or so?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
That must be my post answering Jim. If your not use to working on cars I would leave it to the shop. It's not hard but you could break something like plastic clips or over tighten the bolts and snap them off. Not trying to scare you but just be careful it's not a bad install..
Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Thermostat Change out

Hello : It takes about an 1 1/2 hours on a cold motor. Besure to mark the Belt rotation with an Arrow. Both Blower & ACC drive belt. In short terms, you need only to drain out 1 gallon of engine coolant. The radiator drain is under the left side , under the car front wind cover ,on the bottom, just in front of the left wheel. There is a Twist lock type of petcock, You turn it 90 * ccw, and pull it outward, put a short hose on the outlet nipple, So the coolant will find its way to a drain pan ,NOT The Floor. Then loosen the expansion tank cap. The rest is simple nuts & Bolts!!
Cheers ___PTEngineering
Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 AM

03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by PTE
Hello : It takes about an 1 1/2 hours on a cold motor. Besure to mark the Belt rotation with an Arrow. Both Blower & ACC drive belt. In short terms, you need only to drain out 1 gallon of engine coolant. The radiator drain is under the left side , under the car front wind cover ,on the bottom, just in front of the left wheel. There is a Twist lock type of petcock, You turn it 90 * ccw, and pull it outward, put a short hose on the outlet nipple, So the coolant will find its way to a drain pan ,NOT The Floor. Then loosen the expansion tank cap. The rest is simple nuts & Bolts!!
Cheers ___PTEngineering
Thanks, what I was looking for.
I also got your PM and will be in touch soon about a purchase.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by PTE
Cheers ___PTEngineering
Pat, maybe you already explained your Thermostat mod in old posts, but I'm just curious: are you changing the wax quantity in the stock t-stat, or you replace it with another one, rated lower, that fits into stock housing ?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:51 PM

05 e55
Does anybody know if the thermostat will work for an e63 amg?
Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mr. AMG 20
Does anybody know if the thermostat will work for an e63 amg?
.. even if the housing is different, the inside t-stat coul be the same size
Old 01-01-2009, 08:54 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
T-stat parts

Good Morning ALL> & Happy New Year.
I take the OEM assy and cut it out . I throw away the center Vernatherm ( Wax & Clay filled Module) & Valve assy. , stock return spring. I keep the Alum Housing , and install a new Air bleed hole ( Very small )at the hi point , where air gathers. Then , I install a new lower temp vernatherm from Wahler , Which I have to machine & modify alot to get the proper fit. I wish it was just a drop in piece . The springs are custom built for me from Jones spring Corp. in Wilder, KY. They have precision ground ends , and cone shape, so the valve head lifts off the seat straight and has equal flow around the circumference and allows for the higher lift. I retain the OEM poppit & Spring. To be trueful it is a lot of work & set up time and thats why I build most of them on demand & Ship once a month. Everybody have a restful day . Cheers ___PTEngineering
Old 01-01-2009, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PTE
Good Morning ALL> & Happy New Year.
I take the OEM assy and cut it out . I throw away the center Vernatherm ( Wax & Clay filled Module) & Valve assy. , stock return spring. I keep the Alum Housing , and install a new Air bleed hole ( Very small )at the hi point , where air gathers. Then , I install a new lower temp vernatherm from Wahler , Which I have to machine & modify alot to get the proper fit. I wish it was just a drop in piece . The springs are custom built for me from Jones spring Corp. in Wilder, KY. They have precision ground ends , and cone shape, so the valve head lifts off the seat straight and has equal flow around the circumference and allows for the higher lift. I retain the OEM poppit & Spring. To be trueful it is a lot of work & set up time and thats why I build most of them on demand & Ship once a month. Everybody have a restful day . Cheers ___PTEngineering

thanks Pat !

still thinking at installing this mod .. but maybe my major street use doesn't justify it.

BUON ANNO !