Sponsored by:

Help!! I'm Vibrating!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
Help!! I'm Vibrating!

I need some advice here fellas. I have brand new wheels and tires and actually had them all rebalanced yesterday to make sure I can rule out my wheels and tires as to what is causing this vibration. It is the WORST at about 50mph and it is hard to tell if it coming from the back or the front of the car. I have a renntech ELM and my friend tells me that even if my ride height is off by a little bit (meaning it is uneven) it will cause horrible shaking at certain speeds. He also said to check my A-arm because those tend to bend? What else could it be? What should I be looking for or at? Do you think alignment could fix this? I do know that my car pulls to the left and I am wondering if just getting it aligned will fix the shaking. Thanks for any input guys!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somethings better left unsaid ...
it could still be the tires ... sometimes bad storage can cause tires to go bad even if unused .. it sounds to me like a bump on one of your tires
Old 12-25-2008, 01:43 PM

germans
try roadforce balance...or rim is bent
Old 12-25-2008, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by gonzjed
try roadforce balance...or rim is bent
+1

Unless your balance was done correctly on a Hunter GSP9700 Road Force Balancer, you haven't really eliminated your wheel/tire assembly as the source of vibration.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
This may sound strange but this once happened to me with my S500 after getting brand new tires. After many rebalances I asked them to dismount the tires at my cost and try again. It ended up being water in one of the wheels. I was the first car getting tires done one day and when they filled up the tire with air it shot in water. As you can guess I was pissed and they did not charge me. Just a thought.
Johan
Old 12-25-2008, 02:38 PM

somethings better left unsaid ...
Originally Posted by DRTYLNDY
This may sound strange but this once happened to me with my S500 after getting brand new tires. After many rebalances I asked them to dismount the tires at my cost and try again. It ended up being water in one of the wheels. I was the first car getting tires done one day and when they filled up the tire with air it shot in water. As you can guess I was pissed and they did not charge me. Just a thought.
Johan
water !
Old 12-25-2008, 03:00 PM

e55
water?

but it didn't do it when i got the tires/wheels new. its been about 2 weeks now and they just kinda started doing it
Old 12-25-2008, 03:24 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Could be bent rim(s). The AMG rims are notorious for being soft and susceptible to bending from bad roads/potholes etc.

I just had all four of mine straightened by the mobile truck guy and the car feels like a different animal.

my 2 cents.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Put on another set? No shake you know what's up. Still shakes? You have a problem..
Old 12-25-2008, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Can't rule out a warped or damaged rotor either, a warped rotor can cause the exact symptoms you are describing. Any shop can throw a dial caliper on them to make sure they are in spec. LAst but not least, have your wheel bearings inspected.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:36 PM

e55
brakes

i do have a replace brakes soon light on. even if they brakes are still braking perfectly fine the rotors being bad will cause vibration? I thought only if you were braking and had warped rotors would you get vibrating? Would bad wheel bearings also cause a sound which sounds like as if the axles are running dry without any fluid? like while driving there is some noise from the rear end, its not a breaking sound, just sounds like something back there maybe isn't lubricated? would that be the wheel bearings? and how much are those to replace?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:54 PM

2006 E55
I just got a new car and there was a shake. Point being that it could still be the balance if the tires were manufactured a while ago they may be bad. Just like others have said just b/c you got them balanced doesn't mean they did it right. If not it could be wheels, rim, arm, etc....... G/L. Also, some tires just cannot be balanced due to being out of round. Does not happen often but it happens.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:39 PM

germans
Originally Posted by uurfantasy
but it didn't do it when i got the tires/wheels new. its been about 2 weeks now and they just kinda started doing it
Did you hit any potholes or let someone else drive your car since then? Maybe one of the wheel weights fell off and like previously mentioned, tires that have been sitting for awhile are out-of-round.

Find a shop with a Hunter machine and roadfroce balance them. Good luck as I'm sure many forum members have been down this road before like myself.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Go see Darwin @ SonicMS. He has a roadforce if I recall correctly.