W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

some insight on buying an e55 needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2008 | 06:42 PM

some insight on buying an e55 needed

I'm very interested in purchasing a used e55, mostly due to the fact that since the recent slump in prices I can actually afford one. I have been browsing through local dealer inventories and such around my area, but have had no good luck. The cars are either >2006 and still out of my price range or 2004 - 2005 (which is what I'm looking for) but about 8,000 or 9,000 over the price tags of similar cars that are offered on ebay. Thats my major concern, I've never purchased a car off of ebay, and was wondering if anyone has had the experience with it on this forum? Are the cars there (even the ones offered by certified dealers) damaged, or just simply the leftovers that don't sell off of the lot? The major issue I need help with, is if any of you have any good ideas on what to look for, listen for, when inspecting the car prior to the purchase? I'm looking to buy around march, so please if any of you are planning on selling pm me. (Im really settled on getting a black one

Thanks for Your help!
Old 12-27-2008 | 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Ok...I'll give it a shot.

Even though the market depreciation has hit all AMG's pretty hard, that depreciation does not correlate to the cost of maintenance or repair. I would definitely only consider a CPO car in your position. This advice would apply to pretty much any German car (M's, P-cars, RS's, etc...) these days.

I would target a 2006 and don't limit your search to your state. If you find one in a nearby state, make the trip to check it out or even go the this board and see if a forum member can take a look see...we have a good bunch of guys here.

Ebay purchases are hit and miss and you definitely needed to do your homework (carfax, visual inspection, and independent inspection). The first part is the carfax report and I like to take the VIN to my local service advisor and see what pops in his MB system.

I would also pay the extra couple of hundred $ to get it inspected independently if it isn't CPO'd and then invest in an aftermarket warranty (if they still exist).

Good luck.