Modding and warranties

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55, 1999 Lexus LS400
Modding and warranties

I plan on buying a 55 AMG soon and am wondering about modding with a warranty

I know that technically and legally, for a warranty claim to be denied they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure, but has anyone had any problems with dealers still denying a claim because of an aftermarket part, unrelated to the problem?

I feel that it's a must to have the car under warranty, but I would also love to do some mods, such as the cooling package from evosport, pulley, etc.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
If you read the fine print on most aftermarket warranties, they clearly state that vehicles with modifications outside factory spec will void the warranty... I was reading the fine print on a chrysler warranty I purchased, and that was clearly listed on the front page... Sure most times you can find a good SA or dealer that will let it slide, but you never know...
Old 12-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by harjothundal
ISure most times you can find a good SA or dealer that will let it slide, but you never know...
+1
Old 12-30-2008, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Bottom line, it all comes down to the dealer. To the OG's I will sound like a broken record but always good info for the noobs.

Benz dealer in the North Valley (here in Salt Lake) will literally void your warranty ON THE SPOT if they detect mods on your car no questions asked. Their line not mine, "You wanna go to court over the Moss Act, fine......hope you have lots of time and money on your hands"

Other hand, my dealer in the south literally installs mods for you. Their line is, "Your car, your money, we don't care". No surprise also that they sell a LOT more cars and have more repeat biz than the North jerks and they are in the middle of the city too.

You need to get a feel for how your dealer feels about mods. Some are okay, some hate them.

Do some searching on your dealer here and ask some guys who have been there.

Last thing. Obvioulsy if you toast a piston and your car is modded to the hilt, it's gonna be a hard sell to just about any dealer. Benz regional guys will have to be involved on all high dollar cases and THEY are the real *****.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:53 PM

2003 SL55, 1999 Lexus LS400
Anyone know of any good dealers for this in Atlanta?

If the mod actually is directly related, I figure it's ok for them to deny the claim if the part causes the problem...

but what jakpro said about them stating "You wanna go to court over the Moss Act, fine......hope you have lots of time and money on your hands", is the exact reason I'm worried about it.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:17 AM

2007 E63 AMG, 2009 V-Max
My dealer also installs aftermarket mods (Renntech) with no warranty issues. I'm hoping they open their doors to other tuners like MHP et al.

Feliz año 2009!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:19 AM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by Broker
Anyone know of any good dealers for this in Atlanta?

If the mod actually is directly related, I figure it's ok for them to deny the claim if the part causes the problem...

but what jakpro said about them stating "You wanna go to court over the Moss Act, fine......hope you have lots of time and money on your hands", is the exact reason I'm worried about it.
The most mod friendly in Atlanta is MB Buckhead. I think for most dealers your issue is going to be parts related to a mod. If you have increades the HP and you blow the trans, you are going to be in trouble. If your window stops going down you will be good....
Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Get friendly with your local MB Dealer's Service Manager and find out his opinions on modding... My local Service Mngr. is cool with most mods, to the point that they even push Kleeman pretty hard. Kleeman happens to be located in the same city so they have a relationship. My car is modded, and so was my last and no warranty issues to date as far as anything being voided... However, this MB Dealer is also part of the Phil Long Family of Dealerships and that also includes Ford... I once took my lifted Ford Super Duty in for service and was told by that service writer that the warranty was void because I added oversized tires and they could no longer verify the vehicle mileage accurately... I took the truck to another dealer and they covered the problem under warranty no prob...