Sponsored by:

supercharger clutch problem's ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
supercharger clutch problem's ?

Does the supercharger clutch ever stuff up. Like does it need to be changed so its not slipping to make sure you have full power like dose it need to be changed like a clutch on a manuel car ?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
clutch will wear and bearings will eventually go. i definitely consider it a wear item that will need replacing at some point during it's lifetime.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe
Does anyone know the expected lifespan of a S/C Clutch ?

years....miles.... ?

Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by chiromikey
clutch will wear and bearings will eventually go. i definitely consider it a wear item that will need replacing at some point during it's lifetime.
if the clutch wears or bearings go will that mean the supercharger will not all ways be working

like if the clutch is very worn dose that mean it will some time ride and not make the super charger work hard or not work at all

like can a very worn clutch slip ?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ohbev
if the clutch wears or bearings go will that mean the supercharger will not all ways be working

like if the clutch is very worn dose that mean it will some time ride and not make the super charger work hard or not work at all

like can a very worn clutch slip ?
i honestly don't know as not that many people have enough miles on their cars yet. in my experience, as my s/c clutch became more worn, the engagement became more abrupt. the bearing went out and the assembly was replaced before i got a chance to see just how far the clutch would go (mb insisted upon replacing the entire $800 assembly under warranty instead of the $15 bearing!?!?).
Old 01-04-2009, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Are you referring to the bearing inside the actual S/C pulley? I was under the impression that bearing was not able to be replaced.

I've also been curious if the clutch was able to be turned? Probably a dumb question but meh. Also, when they replaced your clutch assy, did they replace the pulley/clutch piece along with the other mating end on the S/C side?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bobgodd
Are you referring to the bearing inside the actual S/C pulley? I was under the impression that bearing was not able to be replaced.

I've also been curious if the clutch was able to be turned? Probably a dumb question but meh. Also, when they replaced your clutch assy, did they replace the pulley/clutch piece along with the other mating end on the S/C side?
the bearing can be replaced...but mb will tell you otherwise.

i have no idea if the clutch can be turned and i don't know exactly what all is included with the s/c clutch assembly. they replaced it under warranty so i didn't ask any questions.