Iridium silver vs brilliant silver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
1991 964 Turbo, 2002 Black E55, 2002 Black E55 " The Beast"- 2014 E63s
Iridium silver vs brilliant silver

What's the difference between the two ? Is brilliant silver more shinier then the iridium silver ? Is paint better quality with iridium silver ?
Thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Brillant silver is definitely shinier. Iridium silver looks dull and lifeless to me. I passed recently on an 06 S65 because it was iridium silver (pewter) and just didn't look good - very "plain Jane."

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 01-18-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
I thought the only difference was that Iridium silver was nano paint
Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
To my eyes, the iridium silver is a little "lighter/brighter," with the brilliant silver being just slightly "deeper/shinier" ... but could just be my eyes playing tricks on me (i.e. don't have any objective data to back up that subjective opinion).
Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
irridium silver is a little brighter and lighter indeed, making it look slightly more shiny to me. It was a new color for 2005 I believe. Not much difference. I have my E55 in iridium silver and I have a 2001 C240 in brilliant silver and I prefer the irridium silver. its more "silver", in short.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
If I was to go spec a 2009 MB......

are both colors still available?
or was one replaced w the other? (so only one available at any given time on a model year) ??
Old 01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by jpohl402
are both colors still available?
or was one replaced w the other? (so only one available at any given time on a model year) ??
I suppose you could say brilliant silver was *replaced* by iridium silver, in 2005 (I believe, and as stated by others).
Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
Brillant silver is definitely shinier. Iridium silver looks dull and lifeless to me. I passed recently on an 06 S65 because it was iridium silver (pewter) and just didn't look good - very "plain Jane."
Brilliant Silver was the MB "silver" until 2004 models when it became Iridium Silver. Iridium is brighter and a bit less gray than Brilliant. Metallic Pewter is another Mercedes color with a beige/brown cast.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
Pewter is beautiful but not silver at all. Pewter is perhaps a champagne but definitely not silver. Iridium is definitely silver all the way and an improvement on "brilliant silver".
Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
my friends 2006 is iridium silver and it is has a more blueish tint in the sun compared to my 03 brilliant silver...
Old 12-25-2015, 06:51 AM

C220 Coupe AMG Sportf
I've had a bumper respray and

In relation the the above comments, I've recently had my bumper resprayed and I'm lead to belive the garage has used brilliant silver on mine rather than Iridium. In my eyes iridium is lighter and has a slight blue/white hue depending on the angle of light hitting it, and brilliant silver has a darker grey look to it with a hue of gold or champagne to some it isn't noticeable at all to me it really stands out.
When I took my car to the garage he said "we got your colour code from the car, it's called brilliant silver" 🙈 now I don't know what to do as it's supposed to be this Iridium. I'll have to double check the right code was used and the correct paint was ordered.
I've added a picture below

To me the bumper looks totally differnt?

Before

After to me looks slightly darker silver, the qualities of brilliant silver. <br/><br/>Can anyone tell the difference? <br/>The spray quality and repair was amazing. Just the shade to me doesnt match well. However could just be the lighting!

Last edited by TheSilversurfer; 12-25-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
Your paint code is on the plate on B pillar.

744 brilliant silver stopped in about 05/06 and replaced with 755u Bright silver.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Silversurfer - in your top pic with the car outside I think it is fairly obvious the bumper and body colours are different. The bottom one it is far less noticeable. However when looking above and below the tail light where the colours aren't against each other I think the colour change is most noticeable.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:51 AM

C220 Coupe AMG Sportf
Originally Posted by sexyxe
Silversurfer - in your top pic with the car outside I think it is fairly obvious the bumper and body colours are different. The bottom one it is far less noticeable. However when looking above and below the tail light where the colours aren't against each other I think the colour change is most noticeable.
I think it looks a lot more noticeable in pictures too, I'm not sure weather that's because it's recently been resprayed. A lot of my mates and colleagues can't see the difference and some times it is hard to tell but as they say the camera never lies. Looking at the colour code on my car it's 775 iridium silver, I will have to speak to the garage and ask them to sort it out.
I took it to a mercedes dealership where they carry out all the smart repairs and they have said it looks fine you cut tell it's and differnt colour. While I was there I saw the new Mercedes C Class coupe and that bumper was clearly and differnt colour, and that was brand new. I was and so told the bumper and wing will look differnt due to the difference in material metal to plastic.

Here's the new C class below.

Bumper looks a different colour and the sales rep/paint technicians said that looks worse than mine! So confused what to do. ??
Old 12-25-2015, 08:55 AM

C220 Coupe AMG Sportf
Originally Posted by Television
Your paint code is on the plate on B pillar.

744 brilliant silver stopped in about 05/06 and replaced with 755u Bright silver.
Television - I've checked mine and it's 775, I'll have to have a chat with the garage, as he said brilliant to me it's now in my head and playing on my mind that it's wrong :/ I need get him to double check it. Feel like a *** asking him though.

The be all and end all is I should never have bumped it!
Old 12-25-2015, 09:29 AM

CL500 216
Originally Posted by TheSilversurfer
Television - I've checked mine and it's 775, I'll have to have a chat with the garage, as he said brilliant to me it's now in my head and playing on my mind that it's wrong :/ I need get him to double check it. Feel like a *** asking him though.

The be all and end all is I should never have bumped it!
Then he has made a mistake, I have one SL in 744 brilliant silver and a CL in 755 bright silver and the differences are as you describe. It is sometimes not possible to get a perfect match in all lights, this is why damage to a door can mean that the whole side has to be resprayed.

Sometimes cars come from the factory in different shades as the body can be painted in one plant and the plastic bumper and sills come from another.

With all metalic paints the pressure and angle of the gun can give different effects and shades.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:39 AM

C220 Coupe AMG Sportf
Then he has made a mistake, I have one SL in 744 brilliant silver and a CL in 755 bright silver and the differences are as you describe. It is sometimes not possible to get a perfect match in all lights, this is why damage to a door can mean that the whole side has to be resprayed.

Sometimes cars come from the factory in different shades as the body can be painted in one plant and the plastic bumper and sills come from another.

With all metalic paints the pressure and angle of the gun can give different effects and shades.
Yeah that looks like it coild be the case with mercedes. I take your points, that's why I need to double check with him the paint code, I'm only being very **** about it for when the day comes to me selling it, I don't want people to question it and be put off. The only thing I can do is have a chat with the garage, then see what they say and just live with it or sell it and get something else. The parking sensors on these are not the greatest, ( no excuse) but on my dad's Q7 and overfinch, the parking sensors are much louder than any other sounds coming from the media system.

It's just upsetting as I feel I've lost the passion for the car now. Some of my mate have said within 6 months you won't be able to tell as the colour will fade, However I guess it will if the wrong colour code was used and how much attention to detail you give.

I took it too a detailer and he said it's a really good match, however like I mentioned above the camera just picks it right out!
Old 12-25-2015, 10:53 AM

CL500 216
Originally Posted by TheSilversurfer
Yeah that looks like it coild be the case with mercedes. I take your points, that's why I need to double check with him the paint code, I'm only being very **** about it for when the day comes to me selling it, I don't want people to question it and be put off. The only thing I can do is have a chat with the garage, then see what they say and just live with it or sell it and get something else. The parking sensors on these are not the greatest, ( no excuse) but on my dad's Q7 and overfinch, the parking sensors are much louder than any other sounds coming from the media system.

It's just upsetting as I feel I've lost the passion for the car now. Some of my mate have said within 6 months you won't be able to tell as the colour will fade, However I guess it will if the wrong colour code was used and how much attention to detail you give.

I took it too a detailer and he said it's a really good match, however like I mentioned above the camera just picks it right out!
It is possible on STAR to increase the sound level a small amount.

Its true what you say about dealers not noticing these things as we do, the trouble is once you notice it, you see it all the time.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:05 AM

C220 Coupe AMG Sportf
It is possible on STAR to increase the sound level a small amount.

Its true what you say about dealers not noticing these things as we do, the trouble is once you notice it, you see it all the time.
On STAR how would I go about sorting that?

I thought if the dealers won't notice it other most likely won't. I'm glad it's not the front tbh. I could look at getting it wrapped, maybe in red or Hulk Green
Old 12-25-2015, 11:08 AM

CL500 216
On STAR you need to go to parking sensors, and then into the actuation's it is in the menu somewhere. As said just a small increase is possible.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:53 PM

C220 Coupe AMG Sportf
On STAR you need to go to parking sensors, and then into the actuation's it is in the menu somewhere. As said just a small increase is possible.
I've not heard of STAR I'll have to look into that. The other question I wanted to know is can the navigation system be updated? As in the latest ones have a red and black theme through the the command system.

Would you happen to know if this can be done and how much it may be.

Other than that I'm really happy with the car and it's performance
Old 12-25-2015, 02:18 PM

CL500 216
STAR is the Mercedes diagnostic system. re navigation updates I do not know what system may be fitted to your car as this can vary from country to country.

Up dates usually come in 2 forms, one for the road mapping and there could be soft ware updates that change the appearance of the mapping etc. in the UK the cars get free updates for 3 years, but you have to ask for software updates.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Silversurfer - that new car looks the same to me, I guess if they say the difference in material might cause it then so be it. But if it fades out (more grey) it will become more noticeable. You'd think with technology these days they could just slightly change the colours so when they are sprayed on metal or plastic they look the same!
Old 12-25-2015, 07:19 PM

C220 Coupe AMG Sportf
STAR is the Mercedes diagnostic system. re navigation updates I do not know what system may be fitted to your car as this can vary from country to country.

Up dates usually come in 2 forms, one for the road mapping and there could be soft ware updates that change the appearance of the mapping etc. in the UK the cars get free updates for 3 years, but you have to ask for software updates.
Ah right I see, I'll have to visit a mercedes dealership and ask, no doubt they will charge me an arm and a leg but I can get some info from them.
This will be my last year of the free updates I seem to think it's like our phones these days where you download the latest update ha.

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it
Old 12-25-2015, 07:30 PM

C220 Coupe AMG Sportf
Originally Posted by sexyxe
Silversurfer - that new car looks the same to me, I guess if they say the difference in material might cause it then so be it. But if it fades out (more grey) it will become more noticeable. You'd think with technology these days they could just slightly change the colours so when they are sprayed on metal or plastic they look the same!
Sexyxe - to a lot of people it's the same to a few it's differnt, I guess it's one of those things where you notice it more because you know it's been done so I tend to focus or look at it a lot more than I used to, before I'd never look at the bumper however I took lots of photos but a lot of them week taken in summer, so differnt lighting and uv from the sun directly will give the differnt look to the bumper than a spot light or sun through the clouds etc. Also when I spoke to mercedes they said they make up the paint when and where they want it, and they a just the shade to fit. Where as garages buy it from someone who has it pre made on a shelf. Explains why mercedes is more expensive I'm still going to go and get it checked with his order to put my mind at piece. I'm convinced it's a differnt shade ha!
You would have thought technology would be that advanced by now, however you can never get anything perfect as it was. I would have thought they may have a fading technique to adapt the metal and plastic, but I'm sure it's a lot harder than being said. I'll be devastated if they tell me it's the right colour code that was used I'm just hoping it wasn't. The picture you have seen it looks like bare metal colour rather than having this tint of blue to it. I asked mercedes for asked colour chart but they don't have one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Iridium silver vs brilliant silver