Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY for spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY for spark plugs?

Anyone done the spark plugs themselves? Any tips? Did a search and no luck. BTW, I have an 06' E55.

Thx

Jeff
Old 01-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Jeff, unless you have over 60K miles there is no need to touch them.

If you do them, do wires at the same time. Stock wires do not like to be removed and can be easily damaged, resulting in occassional, mysterious missfries that become hard to troubleshoot.

Other that that it is as simple as any other car, except there are 16 of them.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. Car has 55k miles on it and was under there adding tranny fluid so I decided to do it. I am currently done w/ the right side bank and have another 8 to go on the left side. Didn't get any plug wires though...crossing fingers. Will try to post a little write up later in the week.

On another note, I drained the tranny fluid & changed filter. Since I don't have a tranny dipstick, how much fluid should I add?? MB parts guy said 6.5 quarts. Should I get a dipstick through ebay or the dealer?

Thanks!!

Jeff

Last edited by Racerxjling; 01-18-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Jeff, just be gentle with the wires.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
there you go
https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...wires-pix.html

same principle
Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
On a somewhat related note, what spark plugs do you guys like best in our 55K engines?

I've read where some like colder plugs than stock I guess based on their mods?

Anyone with some good info on this is appreciated as I will be at 60K miles in the next 6 months.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Jeff, just be gentle with the wires.
I know what you mean. There isn't much room for your hand to get a good grip on the metal so you are tempted to pull on the wires. A little tip is I used a series of small/medium pry bars and a flat head screwdriver to pry on the little lip on the wire "caps". I used my other hand/fingers as well. This worked well to remove the plug wires without tugging on the wires. Make sure to push the wires back on snug til' you hear/feel the little click. I also found it useful to use a ratchet with a flexible head on it...made it easier. Justify the $$ of snap on tools!! You will also need a male TORX socket to remove the coil packs but don't remember the size off hand.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Racerxjling
I know what you mean. There isn't much room for your hand to get a good grip on the metal so you are tempted to pull on the wires. A little tip is I used a series of small/medium pry bars and a flat head screwdriver to pry on the little lip on the wire "caps". I used my other hand/fingers as well. This worked well to remove the plug wires without tugging on the wires. Make sure to push the wires back on snug til' you hear/feel the little click. I also found it useful to use a ratchet with a flexible head on it...made it easier. Justify the $$ of snap on tools!! You will also need a male TORX socket to remove the coil packs but don't remember the size off hand.

Jeff
You can also buy a "grabber" for the spark plug boots and locks onto the and lets you pop them off against the valve cover. This isn't any better than a prybar or an open end wrench until you get to one that you can't hook with those tools.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Racerxjling
MB parts guy said 6.5 quarts. Should I get a dipstick through ebay or the dealer?

Thanks!!

Jeff

Yeah, he's wrong. Mine was about 3.5 for the pan only. If you can wait, get the stick through ebay, or you can make one.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
The plugs are not the easiest to remove once some carbon buildup gets on the longer plugs. I would not recommend running the factory mileage till replacement.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Yeah, he's wrong. Mine was about 3.5 for the pan only. If you can wait, get the stick through ebay, or you can make one.
Yp, it was 3.5 to 3.75 quarts for mine. The dipstick actually sticks out of the tube about a foot once it's inserted all the way. All you need is the measurement from the bottom on the stick to the 80 degree mark(the stick stops on the bottom of the pan or a stop inside the tranny) and you can use a length of stiff wire or something similar to check it. I think the actual stick was maybe $30 shipped to my door.