Sponsored by:

*** VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox Blowout ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
How long will this sale exist - Until these products are gone? How many do you have left, and based on past sales, how long would you expect the remaining amount to last? Just an educated guess.... I am interested - Thanks..........
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my question was never answered?? does this include the front cover or not??
Old 01-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by gikser
my question was never answered?? does this include the front cover or not??
No.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Question

Originally Posted by vrus
To those of you that stepped in and posted some facts, THANK YOU.

To some others that have questions about the product, the quality and the costs, do a little bit of research before jumping the gun and making assumptions.

The airbox for the 55 required no less than 6 different molds to create. If you think molds are cheap think again.. I have the $11,000+ invoice to prove it. The guys who jumped in on the R&D group got them at the cost price. At the time I was not a vendor and was not doing it for profit.. I was doing it because I wanted a carbon box and I thought it would be cool to try something like a group R&D.

Also, the deposits people paid for participating was applied as a credit to the purchase price so the money was used up front to finance the initial costs but was returned on delivery of the production unit.

I only made a profit on the second and subsequent runs. Dont let the pretty carbon fool you. There is alot under the covers that you dont see and alot of detail you cant see unless you hold it in your hands. The airbox makes power and isnt just a pretty looking piece.

We had it installed on a VR650 car and dyno'd it.. We then removed it and put on the dual "Fang" intakes that Vadim created and it made the same power. That tells you that the airbox has an efficient design and flows very well.

I am GIVING these boxes away at less than my cost right now. The only reason is to make room for some new products and clear out the remaining inventory. The big blessing was the jump in the USD which saved you 26% right off the top.
Hey Victor, is a dyno tune required to take advantage of the full effects of the airbox?

I'm usually pretty good with the search function, but what about the addition of python tubes? They seemed to really open things up I thought?

And, if there is no difference in performance between the Fangs and the Airbox, why do it, cost? Whatever the reason, I guess this proves that cooler air from the front doesn't really do much for our vehicles?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
I tried to order the Airbox and phyton tubes, but there is no response from VRP, I dont know if they are recieving my mails, but I also tried here in this post but didnt have any luck either.
I guess they are sold out by this time.
To bad for me!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
profit

I understand companies make products for profit, obviously. What makes everybody think that this box wasnt just a copy of the renntech box. All I am saying is that even at the special price its still much more expensive than it has to be.

So 11K to produce. Great, 10 sets sold and you got your money back which he probably made back in the first batch. After the mold is complete, these things cost near nothing to produce

So not to thrash another thread- I am not buying one and don't think its worth the price

for those that think they are- go for it,

I posted a thread earlier this month about long tube headers that ended up selling for 900 bucks. They were made in Australia and look pretty nice. So tell me why a company can produce a set of long tubes for that price and still make a profit when companies like evo and renntech charge 3-4K for them. Wake up people- if you want to make others filthy rich then go ahead. Common sense tells you that parts for our cars are way overpriced

I gurantee soon enough that these will show up on ebay for alot less. Asia is getting pretty crazy with their products and will have the same quality as the one sold here

enough said-
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 AM

opps

Nevermind, you guys just did copy a renntech box.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
Originally Posted by drop997stop
I understand companies make products for profit, obviously. What makes everybody think that this box wasnt just a copy of the renntech box. All I am saying is that even at the special price its still much more expensive than it has to be.

So 11K to produce. Great, 10 sets sold and you got your money back which he probably made back in the first batch. After the mold is complete, these things cost near nothing to produce

So not to thrash another thread- I am not buying one and don't think its worth the price

for those that think they are- go for it,

I posted a thread earlier this month about long tube headers that ended up selling for 900 bucks. They were made in Australia and look pretty nice. So tell me why a company can produce a set of long tubes for that price and still make a profit when companies like evo and renntech charge 3-4K for them. Wake up people- if you want to make others filthy rich then go ahead. Common sense tells you that parts for our cars are way overpriced

I gurantee soon enough that these will show up on ebay for alot less. Asia is getting pretty crazy with their products and will have the same quality as the one sold here

enough said-
Fully awake here.

I'm all for less expensive performance parts but I'm in the fourth year of owning my SL55 and haven't yet seen an influx of high quality performance parts from Asia.

The Ebay headers looked terrific! Of course, that was because they used a Photoshopped version of a Supersprint picture. Take a close look at the side-by-side pictures below; the Ebay picture is identical to the Supersprint picture except for some obvious Photoshop changes.

Now maybe the actual headers will look like and perform as well as the Supersprints in the photos. On the other hand, maybe they will look awful, perform like crap, and turn brittle after reaching operating temperature. We potential buyers just can't know unless someone actually uses the headers and provides performance data.

Tell you what. How about if you plunk down $1,200 (the winning bid was $1,115 plus shipping) and buy a set of those headers? After you install them, then take your car to the dyno shop and drag strip for some testing and and let the rest of us know the results. Oh, and take pictures, too.

If it all works out, great! You will have made a valuable discovery and the forum will sing your praises. Of course if it turns out they are junk, you will have wasted your $1,200 but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Although you may think I'm being facetious, I'm not. What I've described is exactly what other forum members--including Victor--have done in the past to pioneer the mods that you are now calling "way overpriced." This is an opportunity to really and truly prove your point. Or not.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Talking

Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Hey Victor, is a dyno tune required to take advantage of the full effects of the airbox?

I'm usually pretty good with the search function, but what about the addition of python tubes? They seemed to really open things up I thought?

And, if there is no difference in performance between the Fangs and the Airbox, why do it, cost? Whatever the reason, I guess this proves that cooler air from the front doesn't really do much for our vehicles?
Do I have to throw a vendor under the bus to get a question answered around here nowadays?

Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Victor is tied up at times and is not on the boards every single day.

The answer is no, there is no need for special tune for the air box.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:55 PM

mods

Well it looks like the headers were copied or maybe pchooped. Either way thats the beauty of ebay and paypal. if the headers are crap and dont work, I can get a refund from paypal. Done it many times. If the headers fit my 63 I would buy them. The company that built them is building me a set-

As for VRP pioneering and developing mods for our cars- Explain to me how collecting money from memebers to make a copied Renntech airbox pioneering? My point of my arguement is if VRP actually did some R&D and made these from scratch then I would honor his price. They didn't and they didn't even use their own money to buy a renntech box. They used members money! How is what VRP did on these boxes any different than somebody doing the same in China

Im not quite sure why everybody thinks these are worth the price. These are knockoffs of another company that did spend the time and money to make them.

As for quality parts coming out of Asia- if you have missed the last 3 years of news- China is having a industrial revolution. It is nothing like it used to be. They can produce the same products over there for much cheaper and much higher in quality than before. Its all about the QC process.

I dont want to bash their products anymore but there is many more products that they are producing that are way overpriced.

Argue as much as you like- Im not buying one and if I really wanted one I could make one for 1500 and then have the mold for it. Im not in the buisness in making car parts.

Its your money and spend how you like. If you ever try to sell this thing when your done, you will know how worthless these things are. You will not even get 50% back in what you spent

Im done now

Originally Posted by jmf003
Fully awake here.

I'm all for less expensive performance parts but I'm in the fourth year of owning my SL55 and haven't yet seen an influx of high quality performance parts from Asia.

The Ebay headers looked terrific! Of course, that was because they used a Photoshopped version of a Supersprint picture. Take a close look at the side-by-side pictures below; the Ebay picture is identical to the Supersprint picture except for some obvious Photoshop changes.

Now maybe the actual headers will look like and perform as well as the Supersprints in the photos. On the other hand, maybe they will look awful, perform like crap, and turn brittle after reaching operating temperature. We potential buyers just can't know unless someone actually uses the headers and provides performance data.

Tell you what. How about if you plunk down $1,200 (the winning bid was $1,115 plus shipping) and buy a set of those headers? After you install them, then take your car to the dyno shop and drag strip for some testing and and let the rest of us know the results. Oh, and take pictures, too.

If it all works out, great! You will have made a valuable discovery and the forum will sing your praises. Of course if it turns out they are junk, you will have wasted your $1,200 but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Although you may think I'm being facetious, I'm not. What I've described is exactly what other forum members--including Victor--have done in the past to pioneer the mods that you are now calling "way overpriced." This is an opportunity to really and truly prove your point. Or not.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Manufacturer
Beautfiul CF Work
Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
The thing here is that everybody is saying that if the chinese people make this would be a lot cheaper...but they are not producing anything for our cars yet. And if you are looking for more power and that power cost more than getting power out of a Honda well is either you pay or you just keep it to yourself.

I am fully aware that this parts are very expensive, and PROBABLY overpaid, but hey...this is a free country and if you can make a profit out of something then you will go for it. There is no reason why to blame Victor or anybody in VRP, or other companies for making profits out of their jobs. The way I see it, it is just oportunities that every human been would take if they have it.

If a company can produce this or other E55/E63 AMG performance parts at half of the price then everybody will buy for them, but since there isnt any other companies or persons to do that, we just have to die with them... that is the case where you are looking for more HIGH QUALITY performance parts, but if you are OK on how does your car perform then leave alone all of us who likes to spend money like animals in our cars. (Please, Im not trying to disrespect nobody here)
Im one of them who are buying this products anyways.

This is just mi opinion.

Last edited by Road Racer; 01-28-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Well it looks like the headers were copied or maybe pchooped. Either way thats the beauty of ebay and paypal. if the headers are crap and dont work, I can get a refund from paypal. Done it many times. If the headers fit my 63 I would buy them. The company that built them is building me a set-

As for VRP pioneering and developing mods for our cars- Explain to me how collecting money from memebers to make a copied Renntech airbox pioneering? My point of my arguement is if VRP actually did some R&D and made these from scratch then I would honor his price. They didn't and they didn't even use their own money to buy a renntech box. They used members money! How is what VRP did on these boxes any different than somebody doing the same in China

Im not quite sure why everybody thinks these are worth the price. These are knockoffs of another company that did spend the time and money to make them.

As for quality parts coming out of Asia- if you have missed the last 3 years of news- China is having a industrial revolution. It is nothing like it used to be. They can produce the same products over there for much cheaper and much higher in quality than before. Its all about the QC process.

I dont want to bash their products anymore but there is many more products that they are producing that are way overpriced.

Argue as much as you like- Im not buying one and if I really wanted one I could make one for 1500 and then have the mold for it. Im not in the buisness in making car parts.

Its your money and spend how you like. If you ever try to sell this thing when your done, you will know how worthless these things are. You will not even get 50% back in what you spent

Im done now
drop,

You are a relatively new member here, and you do not know the story behind the airboxes. You really should not comment on the subject because you were not here when it was done, and not part of the initial discussion. If you don't want to do business with VRP, you don't have to - but don't go spewing diatribe about things you have no idea about.

The airbox is not a copy of RENNTech's (if you were here when the airbox was being developed you would have known that RENNTech's airbox was really a poorly modified factory airbox), and it has been proven to make power. If you don't want to buy it, don't.

-m
Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
VRP has built a good rep and is a trustable company. yes, it is still expensive if you look at it alone without comparing. Once you see how much others cost, the VRP airbox at these prices is actually "cheap"
Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 PM

new or not, I have seen the post and have been just as active as most- if you read intial post by Vic in the other thread you will obviously see that was the intention to copy a Renntech or Carbonio box- thats why people threw in the 200 bucks to buy a box to copy, SO have you compared your box to the renntech box in person, I am pretty sure they are very similar.

Quoted by Vic from intial post

"My buddy just finished meeting with the CF guy.

I am taking everyone that posted at their word because I've already given my CC info to purchase the Renntech box so please dont back out on me now.

The Renntech airbox will be shipped out within 2 weeks when the backorder is filled (I asked for Air express freight). My price was $3795 + shipping (big discount huh?). Will end up being around $3900 + duties and other crap that Canada charges for things coming across the border.

A few things:

1) $1500 is NO PROBLEM FOR THE AIRBOXES!!! We have 20 guys in here that posted up a contribution.. We need to make sure 15 guys buy them or I am gonna be stuck with a whole lot of CF airboxes.

2) The mold will cost $2500

3) We asked him about the intake tubes and he didnt even bother giving us a quote.. He just said they will be easy to do.. I like that.

4) He said he can do the insulated boxes and add insulation to the air tubes!! YEAHHH!! This will set this thing apart from everything else out there.

5) He needs 4 weeks to do the mold and another 4 weeks to make 15 of these boxes.

Once I receive the Renntech box I'll dyno test it and then we can go to town and figure out what our design will be like."

so are you telling me that a renntech box was not bought and then used to make a new copy of box?

Seems like i do know how to read

So I do know what I am talking about and I have not yet once attacked Vic or Vadim. I intially posted that they are overpriced. My opinion and yes your correct, I don't have to buy one which I have not. I stated this more than once. Maybe you should do some reading first before posting

Im totally fine with these guys making money, I never said they couldn't. If they can find people like you to believe the hype that this box covers is worth the money then sure go ahead.

Defend Vic and Vadim all you want. I have nothing againest them. I don't know them and have never talked to them. This was never a personal attack on them or their companies and still isn't. For some reason people like yourself believe it was.

I am not the only person that shares the same opinion of the price.

I stated on my last post that I was done but if anybody wants to keep going at it Im all for it.

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
drop,

You are a relatively new member here, and you do not know the story behind the airboxes. You really should not comment on the subject because you were not here when it was done, and not part of the initial discussion. If you don't want to do business with VRP, you don't have to - but don't go spewing diatribe about things you have no idea about.

The airbox is not a copy of RENNTech's (if you were here when the airbox was being developed you would have known that RENNTech's airbox was really a poorly modified factory airbox), and it has been proven to make power. If you don't want to buy it, don't.

-m
Old 01-28-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
Actually, they never did get a Renntech box for comparison. It's a really long thread, but you obviously haven't read it all. The main reason Victor was buying a Renntech box was to see if it actually worked.

I don't know what the Renntech boxes are like currently, but at the time Victors box was created, the Renntech box was built off a factory box, with the upper half (factory) cut off & a carbon fiber "lid" was molded, epoxied, whatever to secure it to the "remains". It was not a one piece box made out of carbon fiber.

So, is it similar to the Renntech box, yes. It was made as a one piece unit, vice some chopped up thing. They also did flow tests on it to optimize the airflow & made it larger than factory to increase the volume. Not necessarily rocket science, but certainly more than copying Renntechs box (which at the time was damn near 4k for a hack job).

Is it overpriced? Yes/maybe. The 55k engine certainly isn't "common" & I doubt anyone will get rich selling airboxes for them, especially since most owners don't mod at all. That's the biggest reason you don't see every asian manufacturer out there making all kinds of parts for AMG's.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Because of the weak CDN dollar against your USD you can take advantage of some great savings right now.

I have a few leftover VRP 55 Carbon Fiber airboxes still in inventory. I am blowing these last ones out at a ridiculous $1390 SHIPPED!
Sorry to hear about the CDN dollar Vic, but $1,390 is a very good deal!!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 SL55
...I stated on my last post that I was done but if anybody wants to keep going at it Im all for it.
I had quietly decided to not post any more on this thread but your last post simply begs for a rational response.

You claim the VRP design is a copy of the Renntech design. Your "proof" is the fact that Victor intended to buy a Renntech box to evaluate.

Here's what Victor had to say about his intentions for the Renntech airbox:
- We want to build a CF airbox FROM SCRATCH
- Before we spend Thousands of dollars in making OUR OWN DESIGN, lets do a quick test of ** 1 OF ONLY 2 ** aftermarket airboxes that claim they improve performance. GruppeM or Renntech.
- I chose the RENNTECH box because I THOUGHT IT WAS BETTER!
I stated NUMEROUS times that I had no intention of copying Renntech's design... Come on.. Use some common sense.. Do you actually think I would POST ON A PUBLIC FORUM on a day-to-day basis if I intended to rip off someone's design and then try to sell it to the market at a lower price????

And here's what actually happened to the airbox he ordered for evaluation:
BTW.. I wasnt going to post about this anymore, but, I thought I would put the final update on the situation.. My friend called me this morning and said they still have no firm delivery date for the Renntech box.. They were still on backorder and they have no ETA so he can't give me one. He said his boss told him to refund me the money they took for the RenntechRenntech to see if he could get it cancelled, or he would just wait until it arrived and put it into his inventory.

The credit was going to be put through my credit card today so the credit should show up by tomorrow or Friday. We are off the hook with the Renntech box!!!! AMEN.

That's right: Victor's designer never even saw the Renntech airbox you claim he copied.

Believe whatever you want to believe but if you want anyone here to buy into your claim that the VRP airbox is a copy of the Renntech design you're going to need a least a shred of credible proof to back up the claim. Repeating the claim yourself does not equate to proof.

As far as people like me "believ(ing) the hype" my SL55 has run a 1/4 mile in 11.4 seconds, exiting with a trap speed of 121 mph. That's an ET reduction of more than one second and a trap speed improvement of more the 5 mph compared to a stock SL55. If the parts actually deliver on the performance improvement claim, it's not "hype."

You also claim that the parts are overpriced and that cheaper parts are coming from Asia. That may happen. Or it may not. But it certainly hasn't happened yet. There are no AMGs--none, zip, zilch--that can run a mid-11 second 1/4 mile trapping 120+ mph today using inexpensive Asian-manufactured performance parts.

If it someday happens, great! I'll applaud.

Until then I'll keep enjoying my much-faster-than-stock SL55 that uses performance parts that I could actually purchase.

Last edited by jmf003; 01-29-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
didnt the people put up the money to buy the renntech?

so he never even bought it!. i must admit i didnt read the entire thread
Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 AM

'08 CL63
Originally Posted by theeddie
didnt the people put up the money to buy the renntech?

Correct. He then credited that money to their airbox, cover or python tube purchase.

Essentially, Renntech refused to sell the dealer an airbox, since they caught wind of what was going on. No surprise, they weren't selling very many $4k boxes & knew which dealer was selling one to Victor.

I don't know if the pics are still in the thread, but one member here took pictures of his own Renntech box & posted them. It was a pretty crappy fabrication for $4k. If they've changed to a one piece solid CF design since then, one could assume that they "stole" the new idea from Vic. The inside of that Renntech box was horrendous.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 AM

'08 CL63
Here ya go.. all the info on where Vic "stole" the design from Renntech.... LOL

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...enefits-6.html

I particulary like:
Those of you guys that seem to think Renntech is a great company... Well.. They are starting to tick me off... I'll never spend another dollar on any product they make!!

They take the money IN FULL for an airbox... They DONT WANT to provide a ship date... They REFUSE to cancel the order and refund the money. They WONT provide status on where the airbox is in the manufacturing process. WTF???

Soo.. Do you guys think this is acceptable treatment of a customer? Do you think that such a prestigious company should act this way? They charge top dollar for everything they sell.. They should provide TOP DOLLAR customer service and customer experience too!

Maybe they are worried I'll get my hands on it, test it, and reveal to everyone that it doesnt do what they claim??? If so, just refund the purchase and I'll be on my way...

Maybe they think I want to copy it??? If that's the case... Don't worry Renntech!!!! I am not interested in your design. After all, 3/4 of your design is STOCK MB PARTS!!

That's probably how Renntech is able to get *** THEIR *** stuff warrantied at any MB dealer.. They use MB PARTS for everything they call *** THEIRS ***.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Andy0331
Correct. He then credited that money to their airbox, cover or python tube purchase.

Essentially, Renntech refused to sell the dealer an airbox, since they caught wind of what was going on. No surprise, they weren't selling very many $4k boxes & knew which dealer was selling one to Victor.

I don't know if the pics are still in the thread, but one member here took pictures of his own Renntech box & posted them. It was a pretty crappy fabrication for $4k. If they've changed to a one piece solid CF design since then, one could assume that they "stole" the new idea from Vic. The inside of that Renntech box was horrendous.
I am quoting here from something someone told me

''I purchased from rennteh and never again! I got that renntech air box because it was one of a kind and was supposed to make power, after I got it I felt like taking it off and smashing it under my feet, for the price I paid''

I do not like spreading rumors, but that was said in front of me

And Victor has been a true enthusiast to this board and an asset!
Respect from this board member

Last edited by Zod; 01-29-2009 at 01:42 AM.