Sponsored by:

*** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
How does everyone feel about donating the $200 toward the project rather than using it as a down payment? When Victor sells the Renntech box after proven performance gains, maybe he could use the money to help offset the other costs.

If the boxes aren't made due to pour/no Renntech performance then there is no additional costs and the money from the Ebay sale can be divided up.

I'm game. We all want boxes and appreciate Victor's hard work and most of all time. This would help him.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
I hope this doesn't turn into a bunch of relatives squabbling over the will/estate.
VRUS is doing everyone a very big favour - even us people on the sidelines.
I hope he does take something for his troubles. The rest of you/us will get a proven product of high quality for a lower price than anything else on the market.
I suggest focusing on the technical aspects of the project.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:45 PM

'10 E63 AMG
I'm kinda with dsc on this. Victor, DON"T lose money on this! I'm willing to participate to offset your R&D cost. Let us know.

Hey, that red one looks awesome! Can they make ours red, or does everyone want the basic black?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:07 PM

E55
That Red Really does look Sweet.. Is Loren around?? Im sure he would vote for Silver!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by vrus
Well... Here is a quick breakdown:

1) $3795 spent for Renntech air box to test. Once testing is complete, it will be sold off... Hopefully eBay will be kind and I'll recoup most of the money.

$3795 * 1.12 = $4250 CDN
$4250 CDN * (6% duties + 14% Taxes) = $5100CDN landed (thats paid for and out of my account already)

2) $2500 needed for mold ($2500 * 1.12 = $2800CDN)

That's $7900CDN total and we havent even started yet. Tooling costs have not been forwarded to me yet so I dont know how much I am responsible for.

19 people paid * $200 = $3800 * 1.12 = $4256CDN

I am already footing almost half the R&D costs so far myself. Not to mention that the $200 that the group put up is going towards the PURCHASE PRICE, which means I have to poney up the $4256CDN when it comes time to ship these people their parts.

So, really all I did was take their deposits so that I know they are willing to buy. How am I going to recoup the remaining $4,000++ ?? No, I am not doing this to make money.. Its a fun project.. But, I sure dont want to lose money either. In the end, I have to make sure I am at least covered so I can make back my money.. I want to be out $1500 only which is the purchase price of the product.
I see... in reading this LONG thread, I missed the part where you stated the mold cost $2,500 and that there were extra costs. My bad. You should definitely not lose 4k ... you're doing a good thing here.

Originally Posted by Griffin337
That Red Really does look Sweet.. Is Loren around?? Im sure he would vote for Silver!!!
HAHA

That red does look awesome. I vote for Red (the last thing Victor needs... another headache). LOL

Last edited by dragonAMG; 07-21-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Cool

vrus,

Is there room for one more??? This is good stuff!

-Mattias
Old 07-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Ok.. You're forgiven!

I didn't post up the details about the money before because I didn't want this to be about money. I just wanted everyone to concentrate on a fun project that we are all working on together.

Whenever money is involved it tends to wreck things so I didn't want people to focus on that aspect of it.

And, honestly, I was so taken aback by 20+ sort-of complete strangers putting their trust in me and sending me their money to spear head this project that I didn't want to dissapoint them.

Originally Posted by dragonAMG
I see... in reading this LONG thread, I missed the part where you stated the mold cost $2,500 and that there were extra costs. My bad. You should definitely not lose 4k ... you're doing a good thing here.

As far as the red goes.... Let's just worry about getting the design and mold done... We can argue about colours later.. LOL... What have I gotten myself into...

Originally Posted by mstenberg
vrus,

Is there room for one more??? This is good stuff!

-Mattias

Sure.. Anyone who wants to participate is more than welcome.. To keep it fair to those who pay upfront: As soon as I pay for the mold, the initial run is closed off and the rest will have to go into a second run. Otherwise there is no benefit to those who put their money up.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:15 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by vrus
Ok.. You're forgiven!

I didn't post up the details about the money before because I didn't want this to be about money. I just wanted everyone to concentrate on a fun project that we are all working on together.

Whenever money is involved it tends to wreck things so I didn't want people to focus on that aspect of it.

And, honestly, I was so taken aback by 20+ sort-of complete strangers putting their trust in me and sending me their money to spear head this project that I didn't want to dissapoint them.
Hey Victor, basically thanks for letting us hop on your project. I view it as a group of guys getting together at someone’s place and all pitching in for beer. But you are the leader.

Red, what happened to classic black? Or maybe my favorite, midnight blue?

For the shape of the y pipe, what about filling in where the y comes together for a cross between a Y and a T leaving a one piece tube look?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55
Thumbs up

vrus,

I'm in! #24?

Anyway, funds are in transit via paypal.

-Mattias
Old 07-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
*** DOCSTONE & KEE55AMG: If you guys are still interested in this, please send the funds over so I know that it is done. I've talked to JPARCH already and he will give me the funds in person. ***

Thanks Dan! Much appreciated.

About the tube.. Can you draw a rough sketch. Having difficulty picturing what you are saying.

Originally Posted by dsc
Hey Victor, basically thanks for letting us hop on your project. I view it as a group of guys getting together at someone’s place and all pitching in for beer. But you are the leader.

Red, what happened to classic black? Or maybe my favorite, midnight blue?

For the shape of the y pipe, what about filling in where the y comes together for a cross between a Y and a T leaving a one piece tube look?

Welcome aboard Mattias! Money received and your name is on the list.

Originally Posted by mstenberg
vrus,

I'm in! #24?

Anyway, funds are in transit via paypal.

-Mattias

Payment Status
-------------------

Total Participants: 24
Total Paid: 22

catalystkid ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
DocStone .......................
dsc ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
e55 killer ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
ENDSMTG ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Fleebee ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
GTA23109a .......................$206.00 RECEIVED
Jakpro1 .......................$206.00 RECEIVED
JAY55 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
jparch ....................... $200.00 RECEIVED (CASH)
KEE55AMG .......................
Kens-E55 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Kev04C320 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Loren ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
M5KILLR ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
MACHC5 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
Mad TKD ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
mstenberg ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
oblax4 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
rboorgu .......................$206.00 RECEIVED
Rock ....................... $200.00 RECEIVED (WIRED)
stevebez ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
vader ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED
W211E55 ....................... $206.00 RECEIVED

Last edited by vrus; 07-21-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I talked some more to the CF guys about the heat reflectant material. This is what they told me:

The carbon that they use will be matched to the application and will contain their proprietary thermal barrier impregnated in the layers of carbon.

He said it wasnt as simple as just find a material and just sticking it in there. There are special considerations..

The following are some issues to consider:

- Compatibility with the carbon fiber (could stain the carbon or cause it to
separate)
- Compatibility with the resin (could cause the box to delaminate)
- Thermal expansion properties (differential expansion can cause the box to warp or crack
- Potential corrosiveness by the carbon (some materials are eaten by carbon cloth over time)

In other words, this tells me that these guys know what the heck they are talking about and they have a clear understanding of what I am after.

They are going to make these things as thermally efficient as they can and will take care of sourcing the proper materials.

AWESOME!! One less thing I have to worry about..

So fellas.. Our intake boxes, tubes, and front engine cover will come with the added bonus of having a thermal break. How about them apples?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Sounds like they really know what they're doing. GREAT!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
This will be some sweet looking stuff....I am really interested in seeing how the Renntech unit dynos out too.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Received 506 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
What do you guys think of this design? I think we need something that not only adds power but looks like it was rooted in German engineering.
Attached Thumbnails *** alt=,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***-art_engine.jpg  
Old 07-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
That's cool Dave!! LOL...

But, I think the company is going to be called VRP... VR Performance Inc.. LOL..

Originally Posted by Rock
What do you guys think of this design? I think we need something that not only adds power but looks like it was rooted in German engineering.
You bet your a$$ it will!

I am VERY curious about the Renntech box also. Should be here in a week or so.

Originally Posted by vader
This will be some sweet looking stuff....I am really interested in seeing how the Renntech unit dynos out too.

Last edited by vrus; 07-21-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:53 PM

2007 Alpina B7
Was looking through E55 stuff to bring back memories.. Will this work with the S55 engine as well? The airbox at least? Anyone here know that the engines are actually exactly the same as far as airboxes go?
Old 07-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
I am not positive.. I would assume they are the same since the block is the same and the mounting positions are the same.

Originally Posted by cantdriveonly55
Was looking through E55 stuff to bring back memories.. Will this work with the S55 engine as well? The airbox at least? Anyone here know that the engines are actually exactly the same as far as airboxes go?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
That'd be awesome if it were universal for E55's, SL55's and S55's. If you can find out vrus if it is or not, let me know and I'll let the other AMG boards know so you can get some more folks on board to take advantage of this kickass deal.

BTW: Guess who is in Toronto right now?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Ricky,

We are going to confirm this on Monday to see if the airboxes are the same.. I am almost positive they are with the only differences being the air tubes.

Are you really in T.O?? If so, how long you here for? Where are you staying?

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
That'd be awesome if it were universal for E55's, SL55's and S55's. If you can find out vrus if it is or not, let me know and I'll let the other AMG boards know so you can get some more folks on board to take advantage of this kickass deal.

BTW: Guess who is in Toronto right now?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:11 AM

This is Great Vrus. Cant wait on the finished project.

Next I think you need to get your people to do a Cat back and headers. Then Cams, and heads etc LOL

THanks

D
Old 07-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
hahahah... Well.... Now that you bring it up...

1) Exhaust: My buddy has a full exhaust shop with some crazy machines in it that do nothing but make exhaust. The reason I dont have my exhaust on my car is because he is now working on making it into a nice 2.75" stainless steel, mandrel bent system.. He is copying it to make it available for anyone that wants one. It will be unveiled soon!!

2) Headers: My other buddy.. I call him the "Crazy Asian" is in the process of having a very prominent shop in the USA make us a set of long tube, race proven, tuned, equal length headers for this car!! That will take a few weeks but it is in the works. It will be stainless steel, jet race coated (black). They build headers for alot of the competitive drag and race cars.

3) Cams: Already made contact.. These guys know their cams and manufacture cams for alot of the BIG names out there. Waiting for quote to come back on pricing. We are going to do 2 levels.. Mild cam (I posted spec in another thread) for stock to medium modified.. Wild cam for car with HEADS and other goodies.

4) Heads: hehehe... Well.. We have 2 sets of heads already "acquired".. We also have a full W211 motor from blower to oil pan sitting in a garage.. We are still trying to figure out what to do with it and how. I'll take pics as soon as it gets here.

I am not kidding when I say all the bases are covered. By the time I am done, we'll have TB, heads, cam, full exhaust, intake, ECU tune, and all the CF you can imagine. We've got a really good group of guys up here and we're all working together on this stuff. It's going to get very interesting in the near future..

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
This is Great Vrus. Cant wait on the finished project.

Next I think you need to get your people to do a Cat back and headers. Then Cams, and heads etc LOL

THanks

D
Old 07-22-2006, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Sounds like you need to put a Super Gas Benz together !!!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:34 PM

Thats great. I just dont see paying 12-15k for a exhaust. So i will be waiting on that one for sure.

This is all great. Did you call the guys I pm'd you about for the cams or did you go with someone else?

Also I know its been discussed somewhere but what is the difference between the SLR Heads and ours? Of course that could be a starting point.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:03 PM

2007 Alpina B7
If it's universal I'm way in. Vrus- depending on the costs for startup and what not, the trust and input from the boards could easily help you start slowly but soon slay some of the bigger companies, not only for power, but sales as well.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Everything I do to this car I always keep a couple of things in mind:

I dont want to take away from the car's character or what it stands for. So, it always has to be a Mercedes Benz; quiet (relatively speaking), luxurious vehicle, with a ferocious heart beating beneath it.

I always say my car is the: Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.. And that is exactly what I want to keep with anything I do it. Looking at it, it won't look like much, and will sound *fairly* stock.. but, when it wants to go.. Watch Out!

Originally Posted by vader
Sounds like you need to put a Super Gas Benz together !!!
Exactly! That's my main driving force behind what I am doing. Find a way to make great products, that look and perform, and for an affordable and reasonable price for both myself and to pass those along to other enthusiasts that want them. Mind you, if the product already exists, and I am happy with it, I just buy it.. If it doesn't, I look to make it the way I want it.

As for cams, I already had the ball rolling with this company before you sent me the PM and after I discovered a few things about them, I decided to stick with them.

SLR heads vs Ours: Not sure.. No one has been able to give me concrete info on differences between SLR motor and ours.

Originally Posted by Mad TKD
Thats great. I just dont see paying 12-15k for a exhaust. So i will be waiting on that one for sure.

This is all great. Did you call the guys I pm'd you about for the cams or did you go with someone else?

Also I know its been discussed somewhere but what is the difference between the SLR Heads and ours? Of course that could be a starting point.
I'll let you guys know on Monday once I hear back from the dealer if they will fit the other cars. Worst case scenario I'll go borrow an SL55 and S55 and measure the intakes to see how they compare to mine.

I've always heard over the years from various people I associate with and I still impart this to people I interact with: "Pick something you love and just do it.. The money will come later on its own.".. My focus right now really isnt to make money but to enjoy my hobby with cars... If it happens to turn into a business that would be great!

Originally Posted by cantdriveonly55
If it's universal I'm way in. Vrus- depending on the costs for startup and what not, the trust and input from the boards could easily help you start slowly but soon slay some of the bigger companies, not only for power, but sales as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: *** $1,500 CF Airbox with HP benefits ***