Custom exhaust power gains?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by chiromikey
f/i or not, our cars DEFINITELY lose low end power without "some" back pressure...however, not to the extent of a n/a car. you can't just lump all f/i cars in the same category as turbo cars.
Yes, mikey, I agree that there will be a SMALL loss on the low end side, below 3000 rpm, however the gains on the upper side above 3000 are DEFINITLY worthwhile, IMHO and experince.

As far as lumping all FI cars together, you really can my friend. As long as you have pressure on the intake valve the moment it opens, they would all respond the same, via turbo, supercharger, etc, etc. The engine does not know WHAT device is giving it the pressure, it is simply responding to it. Its simple physics. You are also correct that the turbo itself is acting like cork, aka restriction so that does play a larger role than a supercharged engine on the exhaust side which is why they are even MORE critical to an open free flowing exhaust. But the physics invloved in the combustion chamber DOES NOT change which is why you can lump them all together.

See yeah
Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Sorry E55, but that is NOT true. ALL camshafts for AMG's HAVE overlap. Quite frankly ALL internal combustion engines 4 cycle engines have overlap. That is how you GET a good scavenging effect in the cylinder to begin with. You might want to read up a little bit on how a 4 cycle engine works my friend.

You are 100% correct on a NA engine requiring a properly tuned exhaust to help pull the spent gas out of the chamber, however ALL FI cars are really a different issue.

See yeah
That's for a naturally aspirated car. if you had a normal amount of overlap you'd just be dumping boost overboard. Too much overlap in a forced induction car will give you a false reading on the O2 sensor's (It will see too much oxygen in the exhaust) causing a rich mixture.

I know plenty well how a 4 cycle (Or 5 cycle if design the exhaust correctly) engine works
Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Yes, mikey, I agree that there will be a SMALL loss on the low end side, below 3000 rpm, however the gains on the upper side above 3000 are DEFINITLY worthwhile, IMHO and experince.

As far as lumping all FI cars together, you really can my friend. As long as you have pressure on the intake valve the moment it opens, they would all respond the same, via turbo, supercharger, etc, etc. The engine does not know WHAT device is giving it the pressure, it is simply responding to it. Its simple physics. You are also correct that the turbo itself is acting like cork, aka restriction so that does play a larger role than a supercharged engine on the exhaust side which is why they are even MORE critical to an open free flowing exhaust. But the physics invloved in the combustion chamber DOES NOT change which is why you can lump them all together.

See yeah
totally agreed that it's all the same when looking at it from an intake valve perspective. and you kind of made my point that turbos are different in that they create their own backpressure where s/c's don't. my problem is that in the application I use this car for (drag racing) the loss of low end power is not a worthwhile trade because the hp advantage won't make up the loss in that short of of a run.

either way, I think we're in total agreement, just placing different emphasis on what's important to us.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
N/A V/S FI Exhaust

To a point ,you can bundle these to motors together, giving the fact that at low speeds & Mid rpm band the Kompressor on a E-55 is disengaged and the intake air is pulled through the Bypass valve at the intake / t-body manifold at the rear of the Kompressor.at least Until our right foot demands more power!! Then their is a big difference between the 2 types of induction.

IMHO I find The oem exhaust manifolds are so restrictive, No matter what I did ,I could not get my N/A motor to respond to my expectations, at lease until the Kleemann headers were install. Then Bam! a 29 Ftlbs rear wheel increase of torque at low & mid rpm band, So it being said that both motors ( N/A & FI ) are running in a N/A state of operation there would be little or no decrease in torque or hp. And the FI motor would really begin to shine when the kompressor gets engaged.

Vadim is on the right track for the M-113 motors. Do not expect the exhaust reversion pulse from one cylinder to bounce/ reflect back up another pipe with low or even negative pressure to help shut off the incoming air charge on that cylinder. My F/R charts shows I had a tiny bit of fuel removed to 11.9 to 12.1. Quote;the function of exhaust simply becomes to evacuate combustion and reduce backpressure as much as possible.

No 5th cycle here on the MB FI motor . On the N/A motor we are kinda stuck no real space to create a equal length header with proper exhaust pulse timing and if we could ,it could be a very narrow power band .

#1 In which the rpm would jump up/ increase sharply. hard to hold a steady throttle on the open road.
#2 we would blast through it so fast , it would be a real thrill
#3 So hi in the rpm band , the valve train would suffer.

Question ! Is their some intake pulse pressure on the top side of the intake valve when it is closed on a stock N/A motor at idle. . Hummmm. None to very very little. . A vaccum gauge may show 18 - 21 inches of mercury. if anything there is a little blow back pressure as the intake valve first snaps open. As the piston is still pushing spent air out the exhaust valve as it is approching tdc. the intake valve are starting to open and some of the spent exhaust gasses are pushed into the intake track. This will polute some of the fresh intake air charge. Mercedes keeps this to a minumum, with cam timing running late in the cycle and a mild cam grind ( SO TO SPEAK) Not much valve overlap at TDC Exhaust. I'll posted some of my dyno sheets .The 3rd& last run was with VRP Cams. < ( They show a 22 Rwhp increase)This shows headers do work well. If you need cam specs please do a search. Now let the arrows fly!!Cheers ___PTEngineering
Attached Thumbnails Custom exhaust power gains?-scan0001-medium-.jpg   Custom exhaust power gains?-scan0002-medium-.jpg   Custom exhaust power gains?-copy-scan0003-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by PTE; 01-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
^ How did you get the car to hold a gear at such a low rpm?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exhaust Power gains

Dyno Mode . I must have at least 30 dyno runs of them.
Cheers PTE
Old 01-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by PTE
Dyno Mode . I must have at least 30 dyno runs of them.
Cheers PTE
Guess I'm SOL because I don't have that
Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dyno Mode

Hi Ahmad: I went to a AMG meet several years ago . I remember went we went to the dyno ,Ted Baldwin's 01 E-55 with a full Kleemann K-4 ? would back shift/ down shift when full throttle was applied. He got under the hood and disconnected something , then he was able to do a 4th gear pull. With no down shifting issues. Maybe drop him a PM. He has a wealth of infomation. Take care ___PTEngineering
Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
We talking about Manual Mode on the tranny or is there something that holds below 1K RPMs? Sorry for the late jump-in...
Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dyno Mode

Jangy: We are writing about the dyno mode that is accessed through the steering wheel and key switch activation. It works on most 03 & newer Mercedes. There is a few stickys posted. I found it real handy, But I personally would not drive on the street in this mode. The steering gets heavy and the brakes are lazy. I've got several witness watch me put my car in the sand lot It's is nice to see all you guy's back !!
Cheers PTEngineering
Old 01-24-2009, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Good to see some knowledgeable forum members exchanging opinions on exhaust flow, which is by no means a simple concept.

To the original poster: Victor from VRP built a full 3 inch exhaust a while back for his car and the loss of torque in the low RPM range was significant enough for him to take it off. Without getting to deep into the exhaust flow discussion, what MR AMG is saying is true within a certain context - that context being ultimate power. However, as with many considerations, total flow is not always the path everyone really wants - and while for the most part the more flow the better, remember there is often a price to be paid. IN this case, with a super high flow exhaust system, sometimes throttle response can become the collateral damage.

Cam specs can have the same pros/cons... the more aggressive you make a cam profile, the more adverse effects it can have on everything from idling to throttle response and power band. It's not always as cut and dry as physics would lead us to believe.

Just my $.02

-m
Old 01-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Good to see some knowledgeable forum members exchanging opinions on exhaust flow, which is by no means a simple concept.

To the original poster: Victor from VRP built a full 3 inch exhaust a while back for his car and the loss of torque in the low RPM range was significant enough for him to take it off. Without getting to deep into the exhaust flow discussion, what MR AMG is saying is true within a certain context - that context being ultimate power. However, as with many considerations, total flow is not always the path everyone really wants - and while for the most part the more flow the better, remember there is often a price to be paid. IN this case, with a super high flow exhaust system, sometimes throttle response can become the collateral damage.

Cam specs can have the same pros/cons... the more aggressive you make a cam profile, the more adverse effects it can have on everything from idling to throttle response and power band. It's not always as cut and dry as physics would lead us to believe.

Just my $.02

-m
Then why would Vadim tell me to do dual 3" piping? I just wanna go faster, is that too much to ask?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Then why would Vadim tell me to do dual 3" piping? I just wanna go faster, is that too much to ask?
Perhaps Vadim said that because you mention that you didn't want any more torque. Maybe Vadim removed his full 3 inch exhaust to regain his torque back.

Last edited by Havoc; 01-24-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 clk55 AMG
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost

Just my $.02

-m
I agree that there could be a loss of low end torque if you have the stock torque converter but blackbenzz has a 2900 stall torque converter in his car so the loss in low end torque wont be an issue...
Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I agree that there could be a loss of low end torque if you have the stock torque converter but blackbenzz has a 2900 stall torque converter in his car so the loss in low end torque wont be an issue...
Agree. Stall speed makes a difference.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
were do you get a performance torque converter for mercedes?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
^ You have pm

What kind of tradeoff are we talkin about? Yes I have a higher stall tc but if I'm losing 50wtq in exchange for 20whp its not worth it. I cant even launch higher than 1500rpm without snappin axles
Old 01-24-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Okay guys, the bottom line is I am all about the area under the curve, aka dyno graph. I REALLY could care less what the peak numbers are, as I have always used the readings at 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500, and 6000 add them up and divide by 8. Bottom line is the LARGER exhaust system on a FI engine is ALWAYS going to win with my math vs the stock system.

See yeah

PS: I'll take any bets
Old 01-24-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Originally Posted by PTE
Jangy: We are writing about the dyno mode that is accessed through the steering wheel and key switch activation. It works on most 03 & newer Mercedes. There is a few stickys posted. I found it real handy, But I personally would not drive on the street in this mode. The steering gets heavy and the brakes are lazy. I've got several witness watch me put my car in the sand lot It's is nice to see all you guy's back !!
Cheers PTEngineering
What is the procedure on this dyno mode activation?
How does it work?
for a '04 E55

Does this works on some AMG older MBZ models too?
'01 E55, '01 ML55?
Old 01-24-2009, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Some good conversation in here; I just want to clear one thing up that could pop into peoples minds from reading this thread.

Bigger is better to a certain extent but, as pointed out above, too big will hurt performance. This is true for all cars though, not just MBZ's, or else we'd see everyone running around with dual 6" exhaust. Some people might read this discussion and fear going freer flowing on the stock exhaust because they don't want to lose power; that is not the case however. The stock exhaust is terrible, especially at the manifolds, this is why headers yield such high gains. Go bigger than stock, just don't go too big with it or you will start to hurt things rather than help them.

Last edited by bobgodd; 01-24-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Some good conversation in here; I just want to clear one thing up that could pop into peoples minds from reading this thread.

Bigger is better to a certain extent but, as pointed out above, too big will hurt performance. This is true for all cars though, not must MBZ's, or else we'd see everyone running around with dual 6" exhaust. Some people might read this discussion and fear going freer flowing on the stock exhaust because they don't want to lose power; that is not the case however. The stock exhaust is terrible, especially at the manifolds, this is why headers yield such high gains. Go bigger than stock, just don't go too big with it or you will start to hurt things rather than help them.
Agree 1000% my friend, please don't but a 6" trash can exhaust on ANY AMG like the ricers do guys.

As was stated above, a good mandrel bent 2.75" or 3" is good enough.

"Friends don't let friends drive with a trash can muffler"

See yeah
Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Guess I'm SOL because I don't have that
don't know if it's the same on a 208, but i heard on 210's this is the plug to disconnect for esp....
Attached Thumbnails Custom exhaust power gains?-engcirc.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
do the 3 inch how much can you lose 5 the most. i think the car would sound mean. but then i dont know dont have mine yet. good luck

edit never mind i just read the rest.

Last edited by mthis; 01-25-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Maybe Vadim removed his full 3 inch exhaust to regain his torque back.
Everything depends on ultimately where you want to be. FI cars are a lot less touchy to exhaust tuning than NAs.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Originally Posted by 45acp
don't know if it's the same on a 208, but i heard on 210's this is the plug to disconnect for esp....
I had a feeling that's what PTE was refering to that was unplugged on the W210 E55. My C43 has the same-ish unit. I had mine disengaged from the interior control panel side when it was removed for my CF overlay. It was scary as I found out the hard way that it also shuts down ABS and any other "you've gone tooooo far" parameters..LOL!

I guess this would be the 208's version of "dyno mode" Ahmed? I just shut off the traction control via the dashboard switch when using a dyno, which I hope yields all available power, yet retains the ABS. If we should be disconnecting the ESP/ABS unit I want to know! Also, if its the only way to crawl through the band like PTE did it would be a nice thing to know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust power gains?