Sponsored by:

Air Boxes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
Air Boxes

Pic's of the underside of air boxes. Stock on left, V's carbon fiber on right.
Attached Thumbnails Air Boxes-picture-053.jpg   Air Boxes-picture-054.jpg   Air Boxes-picture-055.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
yup. made by Carbonio, sold around here by various vendors. I have the CF boxes in my car and like them.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Have anyone experience any hp/tq gains with these airbox?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Be careful with those foam filters.. go check your air boxes for oil.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Be careful with those foam filters.. go check your air boxes for oil.
Yeah I had to clean mine totally. Dried it out and put the K&N rechardge spray on it lightly so not oversaturated like the day i got it. Fortunatly the oil tends to drip down if you have noticed where it seems to collect sometimes.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by jamusa
Have anyone experience any hp/tq gains with these airbox?
I cant remmeber what numbers they quote, but on the Dyno you really dont see much since it needs significant airflow to be noticeable. It does seem to have soem additional grunt in the mid to upper range.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
I installed the foam filters that came with the boxes I just installed the K&N filters. The boxes were soked in oil very sticky too. Thos foam one just went into the trash can. Before I put them in I completely dried them out of oil and still soked , not to mention they are all seperated and falling apart . GUYS the foam filters are JUNK, TAKE THEM OUT
Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Great timing on this thread, I currently run the cf airbox on my Black Series. Evosport is currently doing some extensive testing with my stock airbox, the CF airbox and a new design they have obtained. Keep your eyes peeled for some results to be posted by either me or Evosport within the next week. We will have dyno numbers to back up our findings.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Originally Posted by jrcart
Great timing on this thread, I currently run the cf airbox on my Black Series. Evosport is currently doing some extensive testing with my stock airbox, the CF airbox and a new design they have obtained. Keep your eyes peeled for some results to be posted by either me or Evosport within the next week. We will have dyno numbers to back up our findings.
We'll be waiting... Jim did you get the PM?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
I know this might be a silly question but when did K&N release an e63 filter? I recall about a year ago trying to get one from them and they kept pushing me off. Started looking into the green filters, but just kinda took care of the foam ones that came with my CF boxes.
I just went on K&N's site and sure enough now they are selling them. Just ordered two of them. Anyone have experience with the K&N filter in the 63? Curious to thoughts if any...
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
They must have just came out. I too spoke to them about a year ago to have them make some run, but they said the will not make them, lol They are a perfect fit and are not oily at all.. I just installed them about two hours ago.. I feel alot better knowing the foams are out..
Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
So the foam filters that come with the CF boxes are junk because of the oil saturation? I thought K&Ns were bad for oil as well, mainly hearing that K&Ns can cause MAFs to go bad. I'm not sure though if it was the type of oil used with K&Ns that caused MAFs to go bad, or simply the amount used on the filters. I've used K&Ns on 2 cars however without problems.

Just curious if I should quickly dump the foam filters I JUST installed the other day. I did notice they were oily.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
They must have just came out. I too spoke to them about a year ago to have them make some run, but they said the will not make them, lol They are a perfect fit and are not oily at all.. I just installed them about two hours ago.. I feel alot better knowing the foams are out..
Yeah. Glad to see they finally made them! They told me that too. not gonna make them....lol...guess they changed their minds!
Mine should be here tuesday or wednesday.

Originally Posted by nrgy
So the foam filters that come with the CF boxes are junk because of the oil saturation? I thought K&Ns were bad for oil as well, mainly hearing that K&Ns can cause MAFs to go bad. I'm not sure though if it was the type of oil used with K&Ns that caused MAFs to go bad, or simply the amount used on the filters. I've used K&Ns on 2 cars however without problems.

Just curious if I should quickly dump the foam filters I JUST installed the other day. I did notice they were oily.
Yeah the foam filters are kinda crap...lots of oil saturation for sure! Before I ended up cleaning mine and drying them out and reoiling properly, they dripped oil for months. Cleaned the bottom of my airboxes several times to cleam the oil puddle up.
K&N's got oil all over the MAF's in my old P-car. Hopefully these will be ok.
I had K&N's in my old C55 and loved them. Hope to love these as much. Or atleast more then the foam ones.
I cant imagine any filters showing up with more oil in them then these foam ones.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
The oil in the foam is very thick and stickey too . Yes, those foam filters also seperate and fall apart.. I hate to say this but I opin these fomies are JUNK.. They K&N's feel dry and they are great quality
Old 02-10-2009, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jrcart
You got me interested..... are you talking about modifications to the stock box/CF box or a completely new designed air boxes? What kind of dyno numbers can be expected on a stock car?

Common Jim....... at least give us a few hints