thinking about an E63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none right now
thinking about an E63

Hi guys,
I posted here a couple days ago but don't see it anywhere, so... THIS is my first post. Thanks for having me in this great club. So....... I have an opportunity to get a spotless 07 e63 with about 17K miles (silver on black.) I've read about some issues with squealing brakes and jerky 7 speed transmissions... Any real issues here? Tech tells me that squealing is b/cuz of soft braking building up 'a glaze' and can be solved by hard braking. True??? And how's everyone's experience with the transmission?

Any and all feedback for a usually-BMW 540 guy will be greatly appreciated!

Mostel
Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by mostel
Hi guys,
I posted here a couple days ago but don't see it anywhere, so... THIS is my first post. Thanks for having me in this great club. So....... I have an opportunity to get a spotless 07 e63 with about 17K miles (silver on black.) I've read about some issues with squealing brakes and jerky 7 speed transmissions... Any real issues here? Tech tells me that squealing is b/cuz of soft braking building up 'a glaze' and can be solved by hard braking. True??? And how's everyone's experience with the transmission?

Any and all feedback for a usually-BMW 540 guy will be greatly appreciated!

Mostel
There have been multiple updates by Mercedes to resolve the tranny issues. The jerk has not been a big or a wide-spread issue at all. In fact, I'd like mine my tranny to shift harder . I think the couple of people that had the "jerky" shifting trannies reported back that the dealer had to re-adapt the tranny's downshifts to eliminate the jerky behavior. Again, it is not a big problem to worry about. The squeaky brakes, on the other hand, is a more popular and wide spread issue across the 63 line. Many owners have repeatedly complained from the increasingly loud brake squeaks, and I guess after so many complaints, Mercedes finally released a TSB that instructs the dealer to replace the brake pads with newly designed ones. Although the new pads result in much less squeaking, some owners reported that there is still some minor squeaking that occurs on and off, but the problem seems to be "livable" for the time being

I say go for it, the E63 is an unbelievable car, and will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it

Last edited by MB_Forever; 02-12-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Mo, above, gave you the right info.

I have the brake squeel, but that is about it. I have not bothered with the TSB service on this. Hard braking seems to solve the glaze issue for a short time, but it comes back if you are using the car as a daily driver.

The Pano roof will creek if you have one of those. Mainly at low speed in parking lots.

This should be a pretty bullet proof machine.

I am loving mine
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none right now
Thanks guys

Appreciate the feedback. I may be like a lot of guys who 'want a Porsche' but know it just has zero practical value (wife, kids, dog, a trunk) so I think it comes down to really 2 cars with 4 doors--the M5 which I think lacks the classy and beautiful lines of the previous e39 version--and then the e63--which has a subtle classic body shape, but hides a beast within. I have never owned an MB, but owned 4 BMW's. I never owned an M5, but many 540's--all amazing cars with immense power and great suspensions. This would be my first out and out supercar. I would use it as a daily driver, and probably a couple times a month let it out on open roads, the freeway early mornings... But what sticks with me from the test drive is not just the power... it's THE RIDE. What a great smooth but 'connected' ride...

Please chime in with more feedback, good or bad, I really can use some guidance on this car, what to expect.

How do you like the navigation, the technology, the stereo, etc?