Sponsored by:

Say It Ain't So..........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Thumbs down Say It Ain't So..........

AMG is presently developing a whole new lineup of diesel versions with ultra-lightweight materials and advance construction processes including, and hybrid systems, of course. By 2010, according to AutoTelegraaf, AMG will be introducing stop-start and direct-injection technology throughout its range.

AMG’s stop-start will work much in the same way as the regular system where the engine is powered down at full stop and revived when the brake pedal is released or the accelerator is activated. On the other hand, the direct injection system will be patterned after the second generation found in the C350 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY version of Mercedes-Benz

From autospies.com.....
Old 02-13-2009, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
They tried this and failed once before with a EUro only C32 that was based an a C230 coupe with a turbo charged V6 diesel. Sales were crap.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
interesting
Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
Actually the new Diesels are amazing. If it wernt for emmsions they would dominate. They dont rev too high and sound that great....... but in exchange they give

30-40% better fuel economy!!

maybe DOUBLE the wear(estimate). Diesels are BULLETPROOF. they ROUTINELY go for 300-500k miles!!

TORQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! If you love low end torque you will LOVE diesels. Here is a dyno for you of what a turbo diesel can make....

Yeah...thats 1059rwhp and 1200ft/lbs of torque....please notice that it has over 750lbs/ft of torque at 2000rpm......can u say; "Roast the tires"

I know it only revs to 4000rpm...but still.....they can give up some torque for rpm. A 4L turbo diesel can make 700 torque and rev to 5800rpm Im sure....and get 30mpg.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
It almost sounded like that they were going to introduce it throught the whole range of vehicles...not only diesels but gas vehicles as well. At least that's the take I got on this.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
I agree that the new diesels have amazing torque and AUdi has proven that they can dominate on the race track. I don't really know what to make of it as one thing that draws me to performance cars is the fun of a free revving gas engine that sounds great. That will be gone with a diesel.

I just about s**t myself today when I saw that one of the open wheel car manufacturers was committing to produce a run of electric race cars this year. They will have excellent performance, 45 minute run times, and do 150MPH but that ruins it for me as there is no gas engine. There is NOTHING green about racing so why even bother.

The world is coming to an end.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Black C63 Eurocharged V5
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
I agree that the new diesels have amazing torque and AUdi has proven that they can dominate on the race track. I don't really know what to make of it as one thing that draws me to performance cars is the fun of a free revving gas engine that sounds great. That will be gone with a diesel.

I just about s**t myself today when I saw that one of the open wheel car manufacturers was committing to produce a run of electric race cars this year. They will have excellent performance, 45 minute run times, and do 150MPH but that ruins it for me as there is no gas engine. There is NOTHING green about racing so why even bother.

The world is coming to an end.
Soo true bro....what an engineer will tell you is;

"Dont worry buddy--we'll put a small speaker in the back and digitally pipe the sound of a Pagani Zonda F...You'll never know the differance"

This is about when I throw up!!

end of times buddy...end of times...
Old 02-14-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
'08 CL63
I'm cool with this idea, if they can give it good top end performance and keep the gas lineup of cars.

I would also venture to guess that they can make a 6cyl turbo diesel competitive with a V8 FI gas engine. I previously had a E320 CDI with a Kleemann KD box & while it wasn't an E55, it was still pretty sick. An AMG diesel with bigger turbos, cooling & the "standard" AMG suspension & braking would have some serious potential.

I'd check it out for sure.