Evosport Rotors w/ hot spots?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Evosport Rotors w/ hot spots?

I just recently had Evosport Rotors installed with EBC Red brake pads and after about 1k miles I noticed hot spots on the front rotors. Is this normal with higher performance pads then stock? I already asked a few people and I received mixed answers so I decided to come to the board and get the opinions of MBworld members...thanks guy!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I just recently had Evosport Rotors installed with EBC Red brake pads and after about 1k miles I noticed hot spots on the front rotors. Is this normal with higher performance pads then stock? I already asked a few people and I received mixed answers so I decided to come to the board and get the opinions of MBworld members...thanks guy!
Rotor hot spots are usually pad deposits from incorrect bedding. You have three choices.

1) drive the car normally an the spots will eventually go away

2) put a SUPER aggressive pad on the car and clean them off. Problem is the super aggressive pads won't stop the car very well.

3) cut the rotors and honestly thats the last thing I would do.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Thanks E55Pilot, what's the downside of having the hot spots? Is there any kind of long term detrimental side effect of hot spots? My tech installed both the pads and rotors and I followed his instruction on the break in period. After contacting EBC, after about 50 miles and a lot of squeaking, I asked them about the proper procedure for breaking in new pads. Their way and my techs way were both very different, lesson learned. At this time I went through the procedure and didn't think twice about it, until I noticed the hot spots. I'm just hoping that I didn't damage the rotors, damn things are expensive!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 AM
Banned

2004 E55
Thanks E55Pilot, what's the downside of having the hot spots? Is there any kind of long term detrimental side effect of hot spots? My tech installed both the pads and rotors and I followed his instruction on the break in period. After contacting EBC, after about 50 miles and a lot of squeaking, I asked them about the proper procedure for breaking in new pads. Their way and my techs way were both very different, lesson learned. At this time I went through the procedure and didn't think twice about it, until I noticed the hot spots. I'm just hoping that I didn't damage the rotors, damn things are expensive!
See if EBC has a set of cleanup pads they send out. if not just live with it. it WILL go away in a week or so.

always, always, always use the manufactures bedding procedures, DON'T use someones home brewed bedding method, the pad manufacture knows what you should be doing in order to finish cure (Bed) the pads
Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
I followed his instruction on the break in period.
Just out of curiosity, how did you break them in?
Old 02-14-2009, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Just out of curiosity, how did you break them in?
Hey Sal, I did a series of three consecutive stops from 60-0 with a cool down period and repeated once more. I only drove the pads for 50 miles after the install. After contacting EBC they weren't too worried a about in proper bedding with only 50 miles. After doing a little research on the Internet I found several people stating this for the cause of hot spots "Hot spots are a sign of poor quality due to uneven tempering".

always, always, always use the manufactures bedding procedures, DON'T use someones home brewed bedding method, the pad manufacture knows what you should be doing in order to finish cure (Bed) the pads
Yesterday 11:48 PM
E55Pilot, I totally agree with you but do you really think 50 miles or so with no hard breaking will be enough to cause this? I would have a hard time believing this but if this something that will go away I won't worry too much about it. Do you really think it will go away or should I contact Evosport?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Hey Sal, I did a series of three consecutive stops from 60-0 with a cool down period and repeated once more. I only drove the pads for 50 miles after the install. After contacting EBC they weren't too worried a about in proper bedding with only 50 miles. After doing a little research on the Internet I found several people stating this for the cause of hot spots "Hot spots are a sign of poor quality due to uneven tempering".
How did this differ from what EBC told you?

I can tell you my EBC Red pads took about 800 miles to stop squealing.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I use the -porterfield pads and have not had any issues with my rotors.

As others have said, though, it will go away as you put more heat into them.

I always break in new rotors and pads the same way. I get the heat cycles in as gently as I can and continue to increase their intensity until a solid 500 miles (rotors) or 200 miles (pads).

My concern would not hurting the rotors, but in having a glossy contact between the rotors and pads. They can harden from uneven heat cycles and it ruins the pads for life. They last forever that way but I prefer stopping.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Here a pictures of the hot spots on the rotors. I'm hoping these will go away like you guys stated if not what will happen, will they start warping and be short lived?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
You can't cut Drilled rotors. When thier done thier done.. Call Evo, they will tell you the best fix for this. Oh, one last word, GT BREMBOS
Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
You can't cut Drilled rotors. When thier done thier done..
Be careful correcting E55Pilot. He is a flight instructor that races?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Here a pictures of the hot spots on the rotors. I'm hoping these will go away like you guys stated if not what will happen, will they start warping and be short lived?

Contact EVOsport. Simon is great with legit things like this. They actually race theirs and expect them to perform so i assume they have seen or heard of this before.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
Contact EVOsport. Simon is great with legit things like this. They actually race theirs and expect them to perform so i assume they have seen or heard of this before.

I'll contact Evosport on Monday. I've never seen these kinds of marks before on rotors and the strange thing is that I have less then 1,000 miles. I haven't even raced with them on yet and after the initial bedding period I've taken it pretty easy. Hopefully they'll have a fix for this problem.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
I'll contact Evosport on Monday. I've never seen these kinds of marks before on rotors and the strange thing is that I have less then 1,000 miles. I haven't even raced with them on yet and after the initial bedding period I've taken it pretty easy. Hopefully they'll have a fix for this problem.
I have the same set up as you do and just about the same miles. I also have the marks on my front rotors. Let me know what Evosport says to do. I really did not think much about the marks on the rotors, I'm glad you made this post!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by psuball1
I have the same set up as you do and just about the same miles. I also have the marks on my front rotors. Let me know what Evosport says to do. I really did not think much about the marks on the rotors, I'm glad you made this post!
The good thing, if there is one, is that at least we both have the same marks with approximately same miles. This will give us a stronger leg to stand on in case this is a problem, which many believe is. I'll keep you posted after I speak with Evosport.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Be careful correcting E55Pilot. He is a flight instructor that races?
Where did I say I was an instructor pilot.

As for racing, please explain to me why I'm at Infineon raceway right now if I don't race.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned

2004 E55
You can't cut Drilled rotors. When thier done thier done.. Call Evo, they will tell you the best fix for this. Oh, one last word, GT BREMBOS
Actually you can, you just blanchard grind them
Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by E55Pilot

Don't quote me but its there......or is it? How's it feel?

As for racing, please explain to me why I'm at Infineon raceway right now if I don't race.
You want me explain your logic? Maybe you went to pose? Maybe you are just home typing? I dunno and don't care.

BTW, I never doubted that you are who you say. I just find it funny that you are so quick to jump on a word I type....
Old 02-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

2004 E55
Don't quote me but its there......or is it? How's it feel?

WTF does that mean? what's there? or is what? how does what feel? Maybe you need to have your meds adjusted

You want me explain your logic? Maybe you went to pose? Maybe you are just home typing? I dunno and don't care.

BTW, I never doubted that you are who you say. I just find it funny that you are so quick to jump on a word I type....
My logic? this is from someone that claims that I drive a lotus and that he knows who I bought my car from.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Could you two please refrain for one single thread?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless

Thanks.

+1

Thanks guys but lets try to keep this one on topic. I appreciate both of you posting on my problem but it would be nice to refrain from the bickering. Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Actually you can, you just blanchard grind them

Ahaa, You can grind them but not CUT... lol
Old 02-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
My logic? this is from someone that claims that I drive a lotus and that he knows who I bought my car from.
I never said LA. Where'd you get that part? Where did you buy it?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Ahaa, You can grind them but not CUT... lol
Maybe E55Pilot is simply in misinformation mode and is confused between cutting and grinding?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Timeless

Thanks.

Look, I've backed off even when all of MHP's stuff was coming in. I backed off of Andy. I also backed off of the harem of clients he had sniffing my rear all day. All for the better of the board. i even backed off of this guy but his personal attacks never stopped. I'm done with it and I'm gonna bring this guy to the surface as well. If you really want this to stop ask the mods to be fair and not go by what they think is perception and what it will do.

All I can give you is that I will not start any nonsense in another person's threads. But, if he starts, I will come back with appropriate offense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evosport Rotors w/ hot spots?