W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 AMG E55
Head Unit Replacement

I have a 2005 W211 AMG E55. I was told you cannot just do a head unit swap. You need to upgrade the entire audio system with speakers and amps. Is this true?

I just want to replace the command unit with an alpine IVA-505 or Kenwood DNX8140/7140 unit. I thought it would as simple as buying a sosche dash kit and installing the unit with a factory harness. Apparently not since the factory audio system is on fiber.

Is there no work around or other solution? There must be a manufacture who makes a module that integrates this setup right?

I refuse to pay $1000+ for ipod and bluetooth phone upgrade to factory system!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
unfortunately, you would indeed have to switch the amp out... you'd still be able to keep he factory speakers, but i wouldnt recommend it... you'd also loose logic 7...
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 AM

2005 AMG E55
Where's the amp located? Easy to swap? Can I use an aftermarket brand?

Basically replacement head unit to replacement amp to speakers then. No need to rewire entire audio system? No new speaker wires? Does factory speakers suck that bad?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by dpavid
Where's the amp located? Easy to swap? Can I use an aftermarket brand?

Basically replacement head unit to replacement amp to speakers then. No need to rewire entire audio system? No new speaker wires? Does factory speakers suck that bad?
1.yes factory speakers suck bad
2. scosche dash kit sucks even more
3. stock amp is in the trunk, left panel

and i was told there is a way to make it work with just changing the headunit.

if you do take it out br prepared to find someone with STAR to turn off SRS light for you since the emergencey system goes through the oem headunit/phone.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 E63 AMG
I have the Alpine IVA W205 in my Corvette and love it. The 505 is even that much better. Hopefully you will be able to install one.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by liquiddi
I have the Alpine IVA W205 in my Corvette and love it. The 505 is even that much better. Hopefully you will be able to install one.
i have the alpine iva w505 in my e55 and it's a great piece. i have been a pioneer person p80mp, Avic N2, Avic D3 and then i got the new FN90BT. that thing looked great on paper, on photos....all the features sounded perfect and the price was right. the FN90BT was the worst piece of car audio i have ever owned, even with updated firmware it was laggy, unstable and lost connection to my ipod all the time, screen was too small and it was just a big disappointment.

sold the pioneer and got the W505 and never looked back. the alpine screen is light years better, bigger and crisper then pioneer. the sound quality of alpine is also significantly better, ipod control is faster. i would def recommend the 505.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
my favorite local shop that did all the work on my car used to be huge into alpine but said lately they havent been coming out with much new or exciting stuff. anyone have the same opinion?

back on topic, i guess this is a rare instance when having a cheaper MB is a small bonus. i just swapped the OEM head unit right out, didnt replace anything else and it works perfectly. i dont even think my 06 W203 has an amp but it does have some fiber optic though bc i did lose steering wheel controls. getting a decent 4 channel amp and replacement speakers is my next step though, everyone is right they do suck badly.

Trending Topics

Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sleewell
my favorite local shop that did all the work on my car used to be huge into alpine but said lately they havent been coming out with much new or exciting stuff. anyone have the same opinion?

back on topic, i guess this is a rare instance when having a cheaper MB is a small bonus. i just swapped the OEM head unit right out, didnt replace anything else and it works perfectly. i dont even think my 06 W203 has an amp but it does have some fiber optic though bc i did lose steering wheel controls. getting a decent 4 channel amp and replacement speakers is my next step though, everyone is right they do suck badly.
fiber optic MOST network has nothing to do with steering controls. fiberoptics go from stock headunit to the amp and that's it. from the amp to the speakers they use regular wires. you can buy a module to retain steering controls for about 200$ (it's a lot but it's an imported product that's not readily available and most people dont even know it exists)
Old 02-18-2009, 02:22 PM

2005 AMG E55
Originally Posted by prodigymb
i have the alpine iva w505 in my e55 and it's a great piece. i have been a pioneer person p80mp, Avic N2, Avic D3 and then i got the new FN90BT. that thing looked great on paper, on photos....all the features sounded perfect and the price was right. the FN90BT was the worst piece of car audio i have ever owned, even with updated firmware it was laggy, unstable and lost connection to my ipod all the time, screen was too small and it was just a big disappointment.

sold the pioneer and got the W505 and never looked back. the alpine screen is light years better, bigger and crisper then pioneer. the sound quality of alpine is also significantly better, ipod control is faster. i would def recommend the 505.
Nice! You have a Alpine IVA505 installed in an E55. Exactly what I was looking for. A forum member who already did it! Couple ?'s if you don't mind:

How did you install in dash? Custom kit or premade one?
Did you retain any stock stereo equipment or was it a total new system upgrade? New amps, new speakers, etc...

It sounds like you can install IVA505, run signal cables to left trunk rear where stock amp is located, replace stock amp with new one, use existing speaker cable to run to current speaker locations, and replace speakers with aftermarket models.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice! You have a Alpine IVA505 installed in an E55. Exactly what I was looking for. A forum member who already did it! Couple ?'s if you don't mind:

How did you install in dash? Custom kit or premade one?
Did you retain any stock stereo equipment or was it a total new system upgrade? New amps, new speakers, etc...

It sounds like you can install IVA505, run signal cables to left trunk rear where stock amp is located, replace stock amp with new one, use existing speaker cable to run to current speaker locations, and replace speakers with aftermarket models.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
just like you - i did not know that i could reuse the stock amp and speakers until after i got everything done and went to get a dash kit from this place that imports them from netherlands. my dash kit was 135$, it's much nicer than scocshe (which i have as well) but i am going to bondo it and wrap it in black microsuede. at the time i was getting my dash kit the owner told me that he stocks pieces that could have made my stock speakers work and also the steering controls.

just a side not for the money you will spend buying those pieces to make stock stuff work - you might as well replace the speakers. my speakers were 600$ for 2 sets and they kill the stock speakers in quality and loudness.....and i did not even amp them yet.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2579

my setup is :
Alpine W505 with P1 navi
Alpine Full Speed KCE-422I iPod Connection Cable
PAC TR-7 Alpine Video Bypass (Needed for video in motion)
Memphis MCSQ6.5 - Memphis MClass 6.5" Component Speakers Front Doors
Memphis MCSQ6.5 - Memphis MClass 6.5" Component Speakers Rear Doors
JL 500/1 Amplifier hidden under the trunk floor
JL 10W7 Sub in ported box
Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 PM

2005 AMG E55
Thanks prodigymb
Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Not to go too much off topic, but i have a JL 500/1 running a JL 10W7 in a sealed JL box.. I can barely hear or feel in in the cabin, but open the trunk and it thumps!! Is a sealed or ported box better for our trunks? My stock sub is still in the deck, dont know how to remove it..
Old 02-18-2009, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
Not to go too much off topic, but i have a JL 500/1 running a JL 10W7 in a sealed JL box.. I can barely hear or feel in in the cabin, but open the trunk and it thumps!! Is a sealed or ported box better for our trunks? My stock sub is still in the deck, dont know how to remove it..
i can definetly feel it hitting in the ported box. and my sub vol is usuallly below 0 on the headunit and the amp is set to JL specs. the sub sounds great. personally i like the way ported boxes sound better.

i still have the stock speakers/sub in the deck too, there was a post on here how to take them out. i think you have to remove the seat back and the C pillars. but that will be a nice improvement. it's on my to do list as soon as it gets warmer....
Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Have you considered retrofitting the NTG 2.5 and maybe adding the AMG Performance Studio option E02 package? I too have been very tempted to redo my system as I am disappointed with the Navi and iPod integration. But the 2.5 does much better with both and the bluetooth is much improved as well. For now I have done the Reus Audio upgrade and have been fairly pleased for average day to day use as the bass is clean and highs are clear. Just my $0.02.

I also noticed dpavid that you are in Mililani. Are you planning to do the mods yourself or are you taking it to a local shop?

Last edited by mprsev; 02-18-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
ProdigyMB, how do your components sound running off the stock amp? Big difference?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM

2005 AMG E55
Originally Posted by mprsev
I also noticed dpavid that you are in Mililani. Are you planning to do the mods yourself or are you taking it to a local shop?
Most of the shops I trust are gone. Island Sound and Aloha Auto Stereo were the only 2 I went too. Hank, Gary, Earl, and Han were the only guys allowed to touch my cars. In 1995 I won the last IASCA comp in Hawaii with an install I did mostly by myself and cosmetic finishes by Han at Aloha Auto Stereo in Iwilei. Full Sony Mobile ES, Adcom Amps, Boston Acoustic Speakers and Stinger wires. This was an era were bass was king.

Where's your hometown in Hawaii?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
ProdigyMB, how do your components sound running off the stock amp? Big difference?
i am not using any of the stock crap. i threw it out lol. speakers are going directly to the alpine headunit and they sound awesome.......much much better than my oem harmon kardon did.

you can listen to it, on the 28th when we get the LET tunes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Nice!! Looking forward to it!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 PM

2005 AMG E55
Thats one thing we don't have in Hawaii. A huge AMG crowd. The BMW crowd is pretty big and they have there own meets, but no AMG guys. You guys are lucky to meet up and hang out for tunes, track days, cruises, etc...
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats one thing we don't have in Hawaii. A huge AMG crowd. The BMW crowd is pretty big and they have there own meets, but no AMG guys. You guys are lucky to meet up and hang out for tunes, track days, cruises, etc...
to be honest with you i dont think the east coast crowd is big at all, the bmw, audi vw crowd is strong here. west coast is where MB scene is happening
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by sleewell
You are exactly right. I am a huge Alpine fan and have had nothing but Alpine in my last 2 vehicles.

Although the new PDX series amps are amazing for their size, I haven't had the need to "upgrade" to a smaller package to deliver 1000 watts RMS to my sub.

Come to think of it, none of the Alpine gear in my AMG is from the last 2 years.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 PM

something that can use more power
I too am thinking about gutting the stock stereo and going with a New Head Unit with amps and componet speakers. Just running subs off of the stock set up now.
I currently have 2 Kicker L5's in a sealed enclosure in the trunk with 1000rms pushing them, and I have to agree with the earlier post than not a lot of sound gets through into the interior. The trunk is pretty sound proof. No Dynamat and there is very minimal rattle on the trunk lid and quarter panels.
I need to remove the stock sub, and I have attempted to remove the rear headrest to allow the removal of the rear deck panel, but FAILED.
There is a black plastic levers on each side of the head rest mechanism where the poles goe into the plastic mount/holder. I have been unable to release the poles from the mounts and on the driver side, there is no way to have access to both sides of the mechanism, because it is hidden under the metal enclosure which is part of the rear firewall/partition.
If anyone has any insight into this, your help is much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by mprsev
Have you considered retrofitting the NTG 2.5 and maybe adding the AMG Performance Studio option E02 package? I too have been very tempted to redo my system as I am disappointed with the Navi and iPod integration. But the 2.5 does much better with both and the bluetooth is much improved as well. For now I have done the Reus Audio upgrade and have been fairly pleased for average day to day use as the bass is clean and highs are clear. Just my $0.02.

Any more details or links for this stuff?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bobgodd
Any more details or links for this stuff?
reus is expensive and as far as i know they have to isntall it too...
Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Originally Posted by evoklr
I too am thinking about gutting the stock stereo and going with a New Head Unit with amps and componet speakers. Just running subs off of the stock set up now.
I currently have 2 Kicker L5's in a sealed enclosure in the trunk with 1000rms pushing them, and I have to agree with the earlier post than not a lot of sound gets through into the interior. The trunk is pretty sound proof. No Dynamat and there is very minimal rattle on the trunk lid and quarter panels.
I need to remove the stock sub, and I have attempted to remove the rear headrest to allow the removal of the rear deck panel, but FAILED.
There is a black plastic levers on each side of the head rest mechanism where the poles goe into the plastic mount/holder. I have been unable to release the poles from the mounts and on the driver side, there is no way to have access to both sides of the mechanism, because it is hidden under the metal enclosure which is part of the rear firewall/partition.
If anyone has any insight into this, your help is much appreciated.
Exactly!! Wish someone had a DIY for removing the rear sub.. If i open my trunk there is soooo much bass in there, but in the car..Eh. Just barely any..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Replacement