W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
Exactly!! Wish someone had a DIY for removing the rear sub.. If i open my trunk there is soooo much bass in there, but in the car..Eh. Just barely any..
Guys...the only real way to get as much bass out of our subs is to fire it through the rear deck into the interior. My bass is very tight and I only have to put the volume up 3/4 of the way to really get loud...

The subs themselves are low profile Exile subs which for the money are excellent.

PS...Overpower your subs to get the most out of them...You can always dial gains on the subs...

Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by prodigymb
just like you - i did not know that i could reuse the stock amp and speakers until after i got everything done and went to get a dash kit from this place that imports them from netherlands. my dash kit was 135$, it's much nicer than scocshe (which i have as well) but i am going to bondo it and wrap it in black microsuede. at the time i was getting my dash kit the owner told me that he stocks pieces that could have made my stock speakers work and also the steering controls.

just a side not for the money you will spend buying those pieces to make stock stuff work - you might as well replace the speakers. my speakers were 600$ for 2 sets and they kill the stock speakers in quality and loudness.....and i did not even amp them yet.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2579

my setup is :
Alpine W505 with P1 navi
Alpine Full Speed KCE-422I iPod Connection Cable
PAC TR-7 Alpine Video Bypass (Needed for video in motion)
Memphis MCSQ6.5 - Memphis MClass 6.5" Component Speakers Front Doors
Memphis MCSQ6.5 - Memphis MClass 6.5" Component Speakers Rear Doors
JL 500/1 Amplifier hidden under the trunk floor
JL 10W7 Sub in ported box
+1000...The stock speakers are crap.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something that can use more power
AMGfan...
Your set up is sick by the way.
My question is, do you still have your stock rear deck panel in place, if so, does it rattle with the new subs firing up at it. Also, do you have any idea how the rear headrests were removed?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM

2007 E63
This is the first time that having a stereo problem turned out good! I took my e63 to stereo shop with one of the amps shorting out. While there I asked the installer to take out the factory sub. For the record I asked him how and he said you have to take off rear deck liner by removing pillars when you fold down the rear seats. I asked if it was easy and he said it was difficult. The difference is HUGE.

First the reason nothing gets through with it in place is the top of the sub as well as two tweeters are solid plastic. The whole thing has only a few square inches of holes. I have a JL 12w6 with a sealed enclosure driven by a 750/1 HD amp and the difference was night and day. When you remove the factory sub way more air and sound get through. You can truly feel the bass. My speaker fires towards the trunk handle so when really loud it reverberates a little. I talked to them about having it fire up and they were worried about rattling the deck. Also talked about changing to two 8 inch subs as i like really hard tight bass more than super loud and low bass. I wish i could help more on how to do it but hopefully now this will motivate you to figure out or pay someone to do it.

Exactly!! Wish someone had a DIY for removing the rear sub.. If i open my trunk there is soooo much bass in there, but in the car..Eh. Just barely any..
Attached Thumbnails Head Unit Replacement-dsc_0663.jpg   Head Unit Replacement-dsc_0664.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Removing the headrest mechanism is the hard part that i cant figure out.. I got the rear seats out, the c-pillars, but the headrests are mind boggling!!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Removing the headrest mechanism is the hard part that i cant figure out.. I got the rear seats out, the c-pillars, but the headrests are mind boggling!!
PM your email address and I will forward WIS.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Sent! Big thanks!!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
pm sent
Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM

08 E63 Wagon
anyone has instructions on removing the stock command unit?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by nismorg
anyone has instructions on removing the stock command unit?
PM your email address.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
That helped, but what about the roller shade?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM

something that can use more power
pm sent, thx
Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

got the email! thanks. i think that will help. i dont have a shade. def going to pull it out when i get a bit of free time.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:30 AM

06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
prodigymb,

First, let me say that you guys are great when it comes to the sharing of info on this forum. I recently was blessed to aquire a very low mileage '06 E55 in pristine condition (my dream car). I traded my '08 C350 for it and will never look back. I have learned a great deal here in the 3 weeks that I've owned "The Beast" but am pretty much dumbfounded when it comes to the particulars of replacing the stereo's head unit. My E55 has the Command Navi and Logic7 but doesn't have bluetooth (needless to say, I was shocked by this but oh well). The Alpine IVA W505/P1 is the exact unit I was looking to upgrade to as well as Realm Audio speakers, multi-channel amp and a 10" Realm Audio "flat" sub (sound quality is paramount for me). I've read everything from "you can't replace the head unit if you have the Command/Navi", to "sure you can, it's a piece of cake until you try to remove the sub".
What I would like to know is, can I replace my Command/Navi head unit with the Alpine unit? Yes or No? If yes, what do I need for the install?
I realize that you guys must be sick and tired of answering the same questions over and over again, so if you could link me to a thread that covers the particulars and procedures, I would be eternally grateful.
Thank you very much in advance.
P.S. Your ride is SICK!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GedaBlaq
prodigymb,

First, let me say that you guys are great when it comes to the sharing of info on this forum. I recently was blessed to aquire a very low mileage '06 E55 in pristine condition (my dream car). I traded my '08 C350 for it and will never look back. I have learned a great deal here in the 3 weeks that I've owned "The Beast" but am pretty much dumbfounded when it comes to the particulars of replacing the stereo's head unit. My E55 has the Command Navi and Logic7 but doesn't have bluetooth (needless to say, I was shocked by this but oh well). The Alpine IVA W505/P1 is the exact unit I was looking to upgrade to as well as Realm Audio speakers, multi-channel amp and a 10" Realm Audio "flat" sub (sound quality is paramount for me). I've read everything from "you can't replace the head unit if you have the Command/Navi", to "sure you can, it's a piece of cake until you try to remove the sub".
What I would like to know is, can I replace my Command/Navi head unit with the Alpine unit? Yes or No? If yes, what do I need for the install?
I realize that you guys must be sick and tired of answering the same questions over and over again, so if you could link me to a thread that covers the particulars and procedures, I would be eternally grateful.
Thank you very much in advance.
P.S. Your ride is SICK!
Jons ride is sick. Mine is just ok

As far as your question, you can remove anything you want. My only recommendation is to do everything (head unit, speakers, amp, sub), that way you are using your own wiring and none of the funky factory *****. Alpine W505 is a great unit, I owned 4 Pioneer DVD/Navs before it and the video/sound quality of Alpine is much better.

When doing a whole "system" this is just like any other car. Trying to make stock crap work together with aftermarket stuff is expensive and a waste of time.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM

06 E55 Blaq on Blaq
Originally Posted by prodigymb
Jons ride is sick. Mine is just ok

As far as your question, you can remove anything you want. My only recommendation is to do everything (head unit, speakers, amp, sub), that way you are using your own wiring and none of the funky factory *****. Alpine W505 is a great unit, I owned 4 Pioneer DVD/Navs before it and the video/sound quality of Alpine is much better.

When doing a whole "system" this is just like any other car. Trying to make stock crap work together with aftermarket stuff is expensive and a waste of time.
Thanks a million prodigymb,
I kinda figured as much but wanted a definitive answer from someone who'd actually performed the upgrade.
P.S. Your ride IS sick!