Question for Quaife Owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:41 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i'm in total agreement that an lsd is far superior to an open diff. however, my oem open diff never had any problem putting power to the ground evenly. it always spun both tires during burnouts, never ever had any pushing to one side off the line, and always launched hard and straight as an arrow.
Get onto a split Mu surface and get back to us on your straight launches
Old 03-03-2009, 03:13 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
I have to agree with Mikey...the LSD is really only good for putting the power down evenly when you are in turns - the factory setup is totally adequate.. If you wanna REALLY hook get a locker. But, locking difs suck in ANY turn.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 AM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by LZH
I have to agree with Mikey...the LSD is really only good for putting the power down evenly when you are in turns - the factory setup is totally adequate.. If you wanna REALLY hook get a locker. But, locking difs suck in ANY turn.
I'm not going to agree with anything you just posted.

There should have been a LSD in the car from the factory, instead they decided to save money and do it electronically.

All those electronics do is reduce power to match the available traction for the one driven wheel.

A LSD distributes power to both wheels from the start so rather than trying to pour 500hp thru one tire now you are putting 250hp thru each tire. Which do you think will actually support more traction?

For a high horsepower street car you need a LSD, to suggest anything else is irresponsible
Old 03-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The one wheel spins weren't ESP kicking in. they were because the track was not wet and the difference in power being put down got exaggerated. The point in a 1/4 mile drag is to get the power down. Since mikey is already doing that, the LSD did not help. BUT, for those of us that are less consistent, the LSD would help raise our consistency by mitigating a spinning event

Hey OP!! psu!!! Did you mean for the 1/4mile track or just to have? i don't think I'd get it for Famosa. I want one for every day.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by E55Pilot
Get onto a split Mu surface and get back to us on your straight launches
let me know which drag strip employs a split-mu surface and i'll give it a shot...oh wait...there are none.

i know the op is asking about this mod in the context of the drag strip. like i said before, i'm in total agreement that an lsd is superior to an open diff. i've just not been able to prove a performance advantage at the track since our oem diffs don't behave like the open diffs from the muscle car era.

as i also said, i'm willing to accept that my e55 was the exception and not the rule.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by jangy
The one wheel spins weren't ESP kicking in. they were because the track was not wet and the difference in power being put down got exaggerated. The point in a 1/4 mile drag is to get the power down. Since mikey is already doing that, the LSD did not help. BUT, for those of us that are less consistent, the LSD would help raise our consistency by mitigating a spinning event

Hey OP!! psu!!! Did you mean for the 1/4mile track or just to have? i don't think I'd get it for Famosa. I want one for every day.
I was talking the 1/4 mile and everyday. I am mostly concerned of everyday driving. I am never able to get a great launch with my car
Old 03-03-2009, 02:02 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
An example of the traction my car puts down is what happened at Famoso. I have everything in my car aside from cams. I was running on a full tank of 91octane, my mistake and 19' wheels with 275/30 PS2's.

My car ran: R/T .343
60' 2.097
330 5.416
1/8 8.102
MPH 91.66
1000 10.406
1/4 12.326
MPH 119.12

I have seen E55's run 116 & 117 in under 12 sec in the 1/4. So, I am assuming traction is to blame?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by psuball1
I have seen E55's run 116 & 117 in under 12 sec in the 1/4. So, I am assuming traction is to blame?
Yes traction is. You had a bad setup PLUS Famosa was not hooking that well on that day. I wouldn't get frustrated. DRs will make a world of difference. On a great prep track, tires don't matter as much as on a crappy prep.

I think you will love the quaife in the real world.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
I guess I will try and get one. If anyone knows of a good deal send it my way.

vividracing.com is $1252 shipped. is there a better price out there?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Most important is install. I've seen a few with issues that never quite worked out. Shims here and there.

No need to ship. I can't believe I'd say it but you can get it local for that price.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Most important is install. I've seen a few with issues that never quite worked out. Shims here and there.

No need to ship. I can't believe I'd say it but you can get it local for that price.

I would have never have believed it if I had not read it myself.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
I'm not going to agree with anything you just posted.
I didn't ask you to...

There should have been a LSD in the car from the factory, instead they decided to save money and do it electronically.
Others have run both and seen NO performance gain as evidenced by Mikeys first hand comments.

A LSD distributes power to both wheels from the start so rather than trying to pour 500hp thru one tire now you are putting 250hp thru each tire. Which do you think will actually support more traction?
It's much less due to drivetrain loss actually...

For a high horsepower street car you need a LSD, to suggest anything else is irresponsible
Irresponsible ??? Were not giving legal advice here dude
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by LZH
A lot of cars around this forum have at or near 500whp. That figure isn't far fetched.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by psuball1
I would have never have believed it if I had not read it myself.
-
I'm trying. I'd assume he would hook you up.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
PSUBall, Do you mind listing your current mods?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Banned

2004 E55
Originally Posted by LZH
Stop. There are plenty of High HP cars here. Drive train loss sits at 18% that means the car would have to Make 590chp to have 500whp

The car needs a LSD. If you don't think it does you're not driving it right.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by bassn_07
PSUBall, Do you mind listing your current mods?
Engine:
Kleeman LT headers, primary cats deleted, Renntech pulley, 80mm TB, K&N drop in filters, code 3 HE, Hi performance wires, Johnson pump, Kleeman ECU, resonator delete, modified exhaust. I think thats it.

The Rest:
19' DPE on PS2's, evosport rotors & EBC red pads, Optima lighter weight battery, some CF add ons and a carlsson LM
Old 04-18-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55 (Iridium Silver/Charcoal)
Hi guys,
I just joined the forum to find out some info regarding installation of Quaife LSD on my E55.
Now I see some of You have one installed, so I would like to ask if there were some issues with the Quaife installation or not.
I mean electronics issues like reprogramming ESP and mechanical issues - if there areany problems with installation, some modification to related MB hardware needed... I hope it is just smooth plug & play procedure but somehow it seems to me to be too good to be true.
Any recommendations, hints, tricks? I plan to have it done by local MB service. Is there anything that they should order or just the Quaife unit alone is enough?

Thanks in advance...

Btw. I was thinking about AMG original or Brabus LSD but I don't want to spoil everyday driving / curve comfort...
Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by jpor
Hi guys,
I just joined the forum to find out some info regarding installation of Quaife LSD on my E55.
Now I see some of You have one installed, so I would like to ask if there were some issues with the Quaife installation or not.
I mean electronics issues like reprogramming ESP and mechanical issues - if there areany problems with installation, some modification to related MB hardware needed... I hope it is just smooth plug & play procedure but somehow it seems to me to be too good to be true.
Any recommendations, hints, tricks? I plan to have it done by local MB service. Is there anything that they should order or just the Quaife unit alone is enough?

Thanks in advance...

Btw. I was thinking about AMG original or Brabus LSD but I don't want to spoil everyday driving / curve comfort...
the quaife is a better unit than both of those...at less than half the price.

there are no tricks to the install, it should be almost plug-n-play. many people didn't even need shimming. just make sure the person doing the work knows what they're doing and how to set the backlash and you'll be good to go.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by chiromikey
the quaife is a better unit than both of those...at less than half the price.

there are no tricks to the install, it should be almost plug-n-play. many people didn't even need shimming. just make sure the person doing the work knows what they're doing and how to set the backlash and you'll be good to go.
Thanks for advice! In such case I would better search for some other service than the local MB, since I am sure they do not know what Quaife is. Maybe the Quaife dealer will install or advice someone experienced.
In a meantime I have gone through some threads regarding the Quaife and it seems to be a must for E55. Also better brakes seem to be necessary, I had overheated the stock ones few times, it is much too easy to do...
Old 04-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Thanks for advice! In such case I would better search for some other service than the local MB, since I am sure they do not know what Quaife is. Maybe the Quaife dealer will install or advice someone experienced.
In a meantime I have gone through some threads regarding the Quaife and it seems to be a must for E55. Also better brakes seem to be necessary, I had overheated the stock ones few times, it is much too easy to do...
an MB Tech should definitely be able to do the install properly.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:56 PM

an MB Tech should definitely be able to do the install properly.
Should he? Well, then I will visit them for small discussion. Would be more convenient for me if they do it...except the labor costs
Old 04-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Should he? Well, then I will visit them for small discussion. Would be more convenient for me if they do it...except the labor costs
Absolutely. I'd have an MB tech do it over someone who does Quaifes anyday. I'd rather they know about the car. As chiromikey said install is CRITICAL. A bad one and you will forever be troubleshooting and or living with quirks...
Old 09-18-2009, 04:18 PM

'09 E63 AMG sedan (sold); E36 M3, E90 M3
having my quaife installed in the next few days. Why do it? well the usual ones for road racing (which i plan to do some of), and for inproved power deliver in straight lines (though some argue less of a benefit here, but i dont necessarily mean to restart that) but also, and very imprtantly, I am driving using her all winter where we get snow/ice (with dedicated proper snow tires of course), and in this setting, I think it should really enhance the overall experience.

Anyone else drive a Quaife-equipped E63/55 in cold weather climates?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Quaife is a very nice addition to the car. Points to note....

It will not make you get more power down when weight is evenly applied to both rear wheels and both wheels have the same level of traction. It stops the unloaded wheel from spinning and washing all you power into smoke. Both wheels might end up spinning but at least your loaded wheel is working hard. It basically allows you to get the power down out of corner/in corners much (MUCH) earlier and with alot more confidence. As a result the car is easier to drive hard, and to balance.

Even in a straight line ESP intervenes much less, but still comes on of course.

Fitting is relatively simple but getting the pumpkin out is non trivial. Lots of heavy bits to move about and the plug in side shafts mean one rear wheel carrier has to come off. This means one rear brake caliper has to come off... and those bolts can be very sticky...

Typically no shimms are required, but you need to have this done properly to make the unit last... you have to check backlash... It seems they are mostly plug and play.

Nothing to do on the ECU / EGS fits into the electronics seamlessly.

When you fit it consider getting 2.82 gearing, or getting a donor SL55 diff fitting the Quaife to that and re-re ing the diffs. I know there are some EGS concerns which you need to take into consideration, but while you have the unit out off the car its something to consider. I am not looking back at all right now... even though the EGS is not 100% resolved - not gearing wise - but sharpened shifting times and load limits have made the car very "unsmooth".... this is still a WIP.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question for Quaife Owners?