Hybrid AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 AMG E55
Hybrid AMG?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03...nes-by-2012-h/

From time to time, technology has the ability to both improve the specific power output of an engine while also reducing its emissions. Such is the case with direct injection, so we are not surprised to hear that the high-performance tuning arm of Mercedes Benz, AMG, has decided to implement it on their line of engines. Another possible performance-generating and emissions-reducing technology lies with the electric motor, which makes up half of a hybrid drivetrain. While the idea of an AMG hybrid may sound odd at first, remember that electric motors can offer up large quantities of torque just off idle, allowing engineers to make a free-breathing, high-RPM engine without sacrificing around-town drivability.
While stop/start technology does not improve performance, it is an easy-to-implement technology which will further reduce the emissions while increasing the fuel efficiency of whatever car it is applied to. So, AMG is also considering fitment of this hybrid-staple as well. These types of inclusions will likely saturate the performance market soon enough as these automakers will be forced to comply with the same regulations as their lesser-performing counterparts. If AMG does decide to go green, expect to see the fruits of their labor around the year 2012 or so.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Wow we really are about to enter the dark age. No mention of how it will add probably several hundred pounds.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 PM

2005 AMG E55
From what i understand about the this hybrid concept they mention, its like the Lexus GS 460H. The car doesn't run 100% on electric unless under 20mph under slow conditions. Once you pounce on the gas, the electric motor acts as a supplement to the gas motor in place of a turbo and supercharger to aide the gas motor. GS I believe has 350hp motor and 113hp electric motor. This does not equal a combined total 463hp though. Since electric helps gas motor too, supposedly you get better MPG. We'll see?!?!?!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
Boo

My car is already a hybrid, its a cross between a happy family sedan and a raging beast.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by intellilogic
My car is already a hybrid, its a cross between a happy family sedan and a raging beast.
Now ain't that the truth!