Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear subframe movement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Skeeter, were you the one having issues with this being covered by warranty? If so, why didn't you just take Mercedes (not the dealer) to small claims? From the original posts, i was under the impression that it was $10k + to fix.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes e55 amg estate
Hi folks just thought i would keep you updated, my dealer as just quoted me £1150 the repair-replace broken bolts-bushes. The good news is mercedes uk are contributing 50% goodwill towards this repair. I am the second owner of this e55 estate which as covered 75000miles which is coming up to be 5 years old, Do you think this contribution is fair or do you think they should offer more due to it being a known fault.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:41 PM

w211 e55 AMG
so can the thump noise when goin over bump still exist even without the subframe bolt problem?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:33 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Yes, I got screwed by MBUSA and MB of San Francisco on this issue. They insisted that they'd never seen this before and that it was caused by my Renntech pulley. Renntech also shrugged off requests to take care of of the issue. The dealership said it'd cost over $5k to fix. I found out they sent several E55's with the exact same problem to a particular body and frame shop in SF, all stock E55's and all covered by warranty, so yes, I got screwed. No time for small claims court, car got marked as being modified, thus making resale or trade in difficult...

Amazingly, since I spotted the trouble early on, it only cost me $900 or so to fix! Of course my damages were much higher than repair cost if you count the amount of time the car was out of commission while I tried to appeal MB's warranty denial, deal with Renntech, etc, as well as the ding on resale due to being marked as having unauthorized modifications to my engine in MB's system... $10k would be a good estimate, we'll see if I get the parties into court before my statute of limitations comes around. Rest assured I'll tell the story if it goes there.

Meanwhile, word to the wise if you are getting a clunk from the rear over bumps or when you start/stop suddenly. Get it checked and fixed quickly and you'll save yourself plenty of grief.

Cookiee, I'd say that's a good disposition if you are out of warranty. Take what you can get. But if you are under an extended warranty, I'd absolutely insist that they fix it and pay for the full cost of the repairs. No reason for them not to cover it if you are still under warranty. If not, take what you can get

Skeeter
Old 03-21-2009, 10:34 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Ewuw, I'd guess there are plenty of things back there that could go clunk over bumps. This is only one of them. But you should have no noise at all (except if you have loose weights in the trunk of course) over bumps. Get it checked, the sooner the better.

Skeeter