W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get an education

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a Dodge Stratus! People are scared of me! -Will Ferrell (SNL)
Trying to get an education

Ladies and Gents,

I'm in the process of car hunting and have a few questions regarding a 2005 E55 AMG. I previously owned an Acura NSX, and constantly visited that forum and found it priceless. So I vowed to never make another auto purchase without visiting the respective forum. So...

The car in question has approximately 41k miles on it. It is a bank repo, but in great shape. My questioning is more on what the major lookouts (for example on the NSX timing belt and water pump was a key topic) when looking to determine whether to purchase or not; as well as what a fair price would be.

Also, I am looking at a 2008 C300 (big difference, I know). Other than the obvious, what are some of the pros and cons maintaince wise (other than warranty)?

Thank you advance for your consideration. Also, if there are threads out there already, a quick link would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Chuck
Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
most common failure is the inter cooler pump, but that can be replaced with a CM30 pump for less than 200. S/C clutch can start slipping.
maintenance will be a lot more expensive for an AMG car for example a oil change can range from 120-200.
the E55's are very mod friendly.
try to see if you can get an extended warranty.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 AM

Shardul,

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. Any suggestions on a warranty company? It has aftermarket exhaust, so the story was it won't be covered by MB...

I think it has a chip installed as well. I need to do some more research on the aftermarket parts. Any exhausts and chip companies that are great? And on the other end, some manufacturers you want to stay away from?

Thanks again for your time!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Vrp, Let, kleeman, renntech

To see if you car has a tune you would have to hook it up to star diagnostic system and look at the ecu reflash table. That will tell you if the eco has been reflashed.
If you car has a tune then most probally it also has a larger crank shaft pulley.
What kind of exhaust does it have.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by cfw3rd
Shardul,

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. Any suggestions on a warranty company? It has aftermarket exhaust, so the story was it won't be covered by MB...

I think it has a chip installed as well. I need to do some more research on the aftermarket parts. Any exhausts and chip companies that are great? And on the other end, some manufacturers you want to stay away from?

Thanks again for your time!
Chrysler service contracts seem to be the best considering money and coverage. They will go to 100K for about $2500.00.

I believe this is the current link: http://www.chrysler.com/en/service_c.../maximum_care/
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
For mods, go with LET, you will not be disappointed!!

They are the best for the price and performance!

For extended warranty, I have easycare and it has been perfect, I have never had a claim denied!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks everyone. Great info. Alek, do you have the contact info for "easycare"?

As for the mods already done, I won't have the chance to determine that. Just wanted to make sure that the manufacturer is reputable.

I'll check the exhaust later today and post tonight.

Thanks again!
C
Old 03-20-2009, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I purchased easycare from the MB dealer
Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 AM

E63 AMG & CLK350
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
I purchased easycare from the MB dealer
Fletcher Jones Mercedes Benz only offers Fidelity extended warranties to vehicles that don't quality for the factory extended warranty. I looked up Fidelity on the BBB and found that they have an F rating! Not only that, the cheapest plan started around $3k!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:36 AM

Lady, that's what I was told from the dealer who has the car (deals in high end imports only, with rare exception). That price seemed awefully high!

No word on the exhaust yet. I went to the dealership and looked for any markings just be getting on hands and knees to look under the car. Next to impossible to see. Its a quad tip, for what that's worth. The word was that the exhaust system (and possibly flash) was around $8k, but who knows if that's the case.

The car looks to be in need of brake pads and tires. There's still some left, but no doubt it will need replacing soon. What should I offer for this vehicle? Also, I am in Vegas and planning on getting a PPI. Is the dealership the best bet?

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.

C
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by LADY_AMG
Fletcher Jones Mercedes Benz only offers Fidelity extended warranties to vehicles that don't quality for the factory extended warranty. I looked up Fidelity on the BBB and found that they have an F rating! Not only that, the cheapest plan started around $3k!
OUCH! I would look around for other dealers...

My easycare warranty has been perfect! They have not denied any claims at all. It was $3400 for a 36 month plan, but it has paid it self off, twice!!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
OUCH! I would look around for other dealers...

My easycare warranty has been perfect! They have not denied any claims at all. It was $3400 for a 36 month plan, but it has paid it self off, twice!!

Easycare ftw!
Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Originally Posted by cfw3rd
Ladies and Gents,

I'm in the process of car hunting and have a few questions regarding a 2005 E55 AMG. I previously owned an Acura NSX, and constantly visited that forum and found it priceless. So I vowed to never make another auto purchase without visiting the respective forum. So...

The car in question has approximately 41k miles on it. It is a bank repo, but in great shape. My questioning is more on what the major lookouts (for example on the NSX timing belt and water pump was a key topic) when looking to determine whether to purchase or not; as well as what a fair price would be.

Also, I am looking at a 2008 C300 (big difference, I know). Other than the obvious, what are some of the pros and cons maintaince wise (other than warranty)?

Thank you advance for your consideration. Also, if there are threads out there already, a quick link would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Chuck

I too came from a NSX. The E55 is a completely different animal. In my opinion, its a "better" car for me because its more practical, less flashy, and a hell of a lot more power.

A lot of people would ask me why I gave up the NSX. I jsut tell them that I don't need a NSX when my E55 has literally twice the horsepower!

The NSX is a dog compared to the E55.

Last edited by AZIPOD; 03-20-2009 at 04:57 PM.