W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for you DIYers: How to paint wanabe chrome sidings black?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 (sold)
for you DIYers: How to paint wanabe chrome sidings black?

Well, this will be my second time trying to paint my chrome side moldings black.... 1st time didn't do so well. I painted them on the car, used (all aerosol cans): sanding 400 grit, bulldog, sem trim paint gloss black, sem color coat gloss clear. Did it late at night and think that was my main problem (too much moisture). But I went to pull the tape away on the car and the paint was stuck to the tape so it looked horrible. Spent the whole next day taking the crap off with a razor..... so now trying something a bit different: sanding 400 grit, plasti dip black (they don't have gloss black, just black) and clearcoat, either duplicolor clear gloss or sem color coat clear gloss..... the plasti dip is suppose to be especially for plastic (which is the "chrome" outside moldings.... plastic) and be flexible (which is good for protecting against rock chips and such). And cost $7 at Home Depot. Guess my main question is did I let the paint dry too much and that's why it stuck to the tape, or did I not let it dry enough? I think it's the second one, but I thought I'd see how you all got yours done. Any input is appreciated because that was the worst 2 day 12 hours a day I spent in a long time (and don't want to pay someone $400 to do the same job I could do with a couple of $10 spray paint products. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jicl55; 03-21-2009 at 01:19 PM.