W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership tech knows not what he's doing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Thumbs down Dealership tech knows not what he's doing...

I had an issue on Friday last week and my radiator broke open and the car had to be towed to the nearest dealership (https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...r-traffic.html)

They called me yesterday and informed me that the car was ready for pickup. My SA mentioned that they also swapped out my instrument cluster under a recall campaign. Great, super, fantastic, give me my ****ing car back already.

I've never been to this dealership and came here only because they were 3 miles away from where my mishap happened. They could not give me a loaner because those are only for "schedule service appointments".. and the *****y **** at the reception desk gives me a NASTY attitude when I told her that I was trying to get there as fast as possible, but was stuck in traffic. I begged her to wait 5 extra minutes for me.

I get there, get the car, it's dusty, dirty and has greasy hand prints on the hood. It's 6:15 already and no one to complain to. Okay so I take the car to my friends to inspect.

After about 5 minutes with this car this is what I find...

- Headlight bracket is snapped off on the passenger headlight.
- Driver's side airbox is not fully connected to the turbo charger. It was "just chillin" there...
- The pressure sensor on the driver's side airbox is not connected. Once again, just hanging out there.
- Coolant spilled all over the place, no attempt to clean up.
- Greasy/dirty finger prints on the dashboard from the cluster swap. Grease all over the plastic face of the new cluster.
- Cluster/Interior lighting is SUPER DIM. Can't adjust as the adjustment on the cluster has no effect.

Here's where it get's interesting...

I received my new European AMG cluster from Steve at MBenzNL yesterday, so when I got home I swapped the cluster. I found out why I could not adjust the lighting... there is a plastic frame around the cluster, that has the R button and the knob for brightness... well they guy working on my car obviously had no idea what he was doing, because he snapped one of the plastic tabs off the cluster and also broke the plastic rod from the knob to the actual cluster.

I took pictures of everything and I am preparing everything to bring over there.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Typical MB dealer...

They hire low-paid kids fresh off the boat and turn them loose on extremely complicated cars. It's insane. I've had MANY MANY problems just like what you're describing. Fix one thing, and break two more.

All the dealers do crap like this. The only thing you can really do is go to a dealer that stands behind their screwups. Some of them will tell you to go pound sand, and some of them will say 'Oh I'm so sorry, we'll make it right'. The latter is getting harder and harder to find, but those are the ones you want to go to...
Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by CWW
Typical MB dealer...

They hire low-paid kids fresh off the boat and turn them loose on extremely complicated cars. It's insane. I've had MANY MANY problems just like what you're describing. Fix one thing, and break two more.

All the dealers do crap like this. The only thing you can really do is go to a dealer that stands behind their screwups. Some of them will tell you to go pound sand, and some of them will say 'Oh I'm so sorry, we'll make it right'. The latter is getting harder and harder to find, but those are the ones you want to go to...
While you have a point that this does happen sometimes but your statement that ALL do this is wrong. I have had nothing but great service experiences with many dealerships. Not everyone is performing substandard work.

Making blanket comments about dealerships may be fun and therapeutic but its not true. Some people still believe the customer is king.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Might be better in your area, but around here I've had multiple breakage, dent, scratch, etc., issues even with the "good" dealers.

Still, you're right, I didn't mean to paint every dealer with the same brush. I'm sure there are some good ones. Just seems to be pretty rare.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Oxygen, I'd be so ****ing pissed if that was my car they did that to. They're so ****ed up, it's not even funny. I'm sorry you always run in to these mishaps with your car.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Sorry to hear that. That is not acceptable at any level of dealership let alone an MB dealer.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V 2013 Wagon
I have used the dame dealer (Mercedes of Winston-Salem) for every service of my car and request the same technician each time. Mark is a very accomplished tech who has been turning wrenches for 20 plus years. I have never experienced any problem with the work performed. I would suggest that you seek out a qualified technician and schedule all of your maintenance through that one person. If you find yourself out of town with a problem then go interview the mechanics at the dealership and make a wise choice. When you drop your car off without doing a bit of research you are setting yourself up for a possible disappointment. It seems like we often hear of complaints of all types from tearing stuff up, mis-diagnosing problems, ignorance and driving vehicles for little or no reason. You could completely eliminate this by having one person responsible for your car.
Even if the dealer makes it right for you, it still is a pain to have to deal with it.
Good luck,
Warren

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
ouch - that sucks. i would ask straight for the general manager of the place.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a beatdown is about to happen on that dealership. lol
Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by prodigymb
ouch - that sucks. i would ask straight for the general manager of the place.
+1....Tell them you want to file a complaint with MBUSA...trust me they will hear you out. What a bunch of morons bro! That's why I go to Rallye in Long Island...a bit far, but many look out for my car there man. Wish you best in resolving this issue man.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Which dealership was this? Hopefully not Massapequa, never had a problem there.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E63 / 2013 911C4S
I feel your pain -- similar issue with my DLR last week. So, for a change, I am happy that my MB warranty has expired and my easycare warranty is in effect (they paid another $699 claim for engine / trans mounts today)! I have a wonderful (newly found) indi who was the MB DLR shop foreman for 25 years; he just went out on his own last Fall -- for all the reasons mentioned above! So, if you ever have an issue in east TN and need an indi -- Eric @ Bearden Benz has treated me and my car right!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
This was at Helms Brothers Mercedes in Bayside.

I wanted to go to Rallye but that was 17 miles away as opposed to 3 miles away for Helm's.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
Dude, hit up Massapequa. I didnt even buy my car there, and they treat me like my shoes are made of gold.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 GLE 63 S Coupe 2020 E 63 S
I have a good working relationship with the head service manager for about 20+ years at Mercedes Benz of Escondido, down here in San Diego. Also all the parts guys know me by a first name basis and several of the service techs too. I find it extremely important to know who is working on your car when you bring it in, not just drop it off and pick it up when it is done. I know not may people have the time or patience some times but these cars are not for the faint of heart and "rookies" will never be allowed near my car even to move it from the service drive.

I would expect nothing less than perfection from a MB dealership. Anything less is bullsh*t.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by way2evil
Dude, hit up Massapequa. I didnt even buy my car there, and they treat me like my shoes are made of gold.
I went there once, my SA asked me if my car was really a 600 or if it was just badged up like that, then he gave me a pound on my arm and told me that he was just kidding. I never went back there.