Sponsored by:

Baby Got New Shoes and Acura NSX-T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Baby Got New Shoes and Acura NSX-T

Yesterday I replaced my OEM Continentals (32K) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus nitrogen filled all season tires in sizes 245/40/18 front and larger 275/35/18 rears and immediately noticed a difference. After a lot of research I found the Michelins are rated the best all season tire because they are quiet and handle all driving conditions including snow exceptionally well. Although I can't testify to statement number two (yet) I did notice how quiet they were, that my ride was smoother, traction was improved and handling didn't seem to suffer (BTW I would recommend you go to 275's in the rear; they just look better).

While I was at the shop I looked at a mint red 1997 Acura NSX-T, 6-speed, with 42K on the clock that was in for a new clutch ($5K). It seems the current owner has seven NSX's and is in financial trouble and wants to sell a few of his cars ASAP. What makes it unique is it's supercharged, cooling and handling have been seriously upgraded, Brembo brakes, 18" rims and Michelin PS2 tires, and a whole lot more i.e. the list is very long. The mods alone cost $25K and I know the mechanic who did the work and absolutely trust in his technical and mechanical abilities. According to the mechanic all seven Acura's were upgraded with the best money can buy and the cars dyno at 425HP and 370HP at the wheels. When you consider it originally had 290HP and 230RHP you can see why I'm interested The owner wants $25K for the car and there is another later year yellow one for sale. My early research indicates that NSX's are very reliable and becoming very collectible, especially the 97 and forward models. Anyone have experience with the NSX-T that they can comment on? Thanks.

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 03-28-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG & CLK350
I love Pilot Sports. I had them on my M3 and they were so sticky! I switched to Nitto Invo's after that and noticed that the sidewall was a little softer and the tires didn't grab as much. I'd love to put a set of PS2's on the E63.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
Yesterday I replaced my OEM Continentals (32K) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus nitrogen filled all season tires in sizes 245/40/18 front and larger 275/35/18 rears and immediately noticed a difference. After a lot of research I found the Michelins are rated the best all season tire because they are quiet and handle all driving conditions including snow exceptionally well. Although I can't testify to statement number two (yet) I did notice how quiet they were, that my ride was smoother, traction was improved and handling didn't seem to suffer (BTW I would recommend you go to 275's in the rear; they just look better).

While I was at the shop I looked at a mint red 1997 Acura NSX-T, 6-speed, with 42K on the clock that was in for a new clutch ($5K). It seems the current owner has seven NSX's and is in financial trouble and wants to sell a few of his cars ASAP. What makes it unique is it's supercharged, cooling and handling have been seriously upgraded, Brembo brakes, 18" rims and Michelin PS2 tires, and a whole lot more i.e. the list is very long. The mods alone cost $25K and I know the mechanic who did the work and absolutely trust in his technical and mechanical abilities. According to the mechanic all seven Acura's were upgraded with the best money can buy and the cars dyno at 425HP and 370HP at the wheels. When you consider it originally had 290HP and 230RHP you can see why I'm interested The owner wants $25K for the car and there is another later year yellow one for sale. My early research indicates that NSX's are very reliable and becoming very collectible, especially the 97 and forward models. Anyone have experience with the NSX-T that they can comment on? Thanks.
I have Michelin Pilot SPort A/S on my car and I have to say it the best tire I ever bought. I choosen the A/S becuse it has a tread wear of 400. Very quiet on hwy, no problem in hard rains or in winter snow. Best of all it hook up very well in dry surface

As for the NSX, my co-worker have a 95 NSX-T, very nice car. Ultra-rigid-light aluminum chassis, all aluminum suspension, titanium connecting rods, redline at 8,000 rpm, 23-step paint process, weight less than 2800lb.

Only problem he complain about it finding someone to service it or get it repair. He have to take it to the Acura dealer, no other shop want to mess with it.

My E55K still smoke his ***!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:44 PM

nascar
Are PS2s supposed to say PS2 on the side?

Mine just say Pilot Sports

Thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 04:39 PM

5spd 99 maxima
nsx is a blast of a car. If you want a car that handles well and is a big head turner get 1. Not to mention they are still fast.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:21 PM

e55
I am an NSX fanatic and bought an E55 as my daily driver. I have had four NSXs, and my current garage queen is a 2004 with a Comptech Supercharger. The E55 is great, but the NSX is a different kind of fun. First off, it's so low to the ground, and with the engine being right behind your back, it really feels like you're driving a go-kart. And with the supercharger, it is pretty quick off the line. The only way I can describe it is: it feels raw, pure unadulterated car with no vanity mirrors or refinements.

By the way, I am also in the MD/VA/DC area, and I have heard about this guy with the 7 NSXs. PM me if you want more info on NSXs or if you want to swing by for a spin.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 PM

W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
I had a NSX in the past -- its a different kind of fun. You can carve through all the curves, but the power is very lacking, especially when you compare it against a SuperCharged V8. You might like it, you might not, depends on what you're looking for. For me? If I were to have a E55 or a NSX, I'll take the E55.

The NSX is **VERY** reliable. Think Honda Accord. Aftermarket warranty for a NSX? Forget it, you'll never need it!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ECBAOBAO

Thanks
Mine say Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. When I had PS2's on my BMW's I don't recall them saying PS2's.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by charleysung
I am an NSX fanatic and bought an E55 as my daily driver. I have had four NSXs, and my current garage queen is a 2004 with a Comptech Supercharger. The E55 is great, but the NSX is a different kind of fun. First off, it's so low to the ground, and with the engine being right behind your back, it really feels like you're driving a go-kart. And with the supercharger, it is pretty quick off the line. The only way I can describe it is: it feels raw, pure unadulterated car with no vanity mirrors or refinements.

By the way, I am also in the MD/VA/DC area, and I have heard about this guy with the 7 NSXs. PM me if you want more info on NSXs or if you want to swing by for a spin.
I would like that, PM me with your contact info. I want to drive an NSX and get to know the brand a lot better before I commit. Last year I had some yard work done on my house and my contractor drove an NSX. He swore by it too! The NSX I'm looking at also has the Comptech Supercharger and a lot more. The car is from DC but all the work is done by Curry's Auto in Gainesville, VA (their new shop). I talked at length with the mechanic who modified and maintains all seven NSX's and so I know what the "real story" is vs. BS that is some common these days. That's why I'm interested. Have you driven an SL55 yet, you may be interested in comparing it to your E55, they are two different cars! Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:57 AM

No question my AMG's are my preferred "weapons" of choice. However, an NSX 6-speed Targa for the summer would be a lot of fun (I believe). I thought they might also be a good track car but after speaking to a few racers that track BMW's and other cars at Summit Point (a raceway about 1.5 hours out of DC) they said the NSX wasn't a good candidate because of its mid-engine design i.e. you lose traction and it spins like a top.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:39 PM

03' E55 Techtite Grey
I love the NSX, look at my screen name =) I've owned 2 and I have no complaints. They are a different cars for sure. The E55 is a torque sadan, NSX is a go kart. I would recommend the NSX to anyone. Super reliable, fun to drive, head turner, built solid! If you get one I would recommend the 97+ cause those come with the C32A motor as opposed to the older C30. Also they have 6 speed transmissions instead of the 5. So you get the extra .2 liters of displacement, 20 more horse and a 6 speed. If you do get the older one try 95+ so you can get the targa top. I use to be a fanatic. It's been a while since I've talked about the differences in the years but I think this is pretty much how they break down.

91-93" no changes
94" they put new 7 spoke wheels and a split center console
95" they introduced the targa top. I think this is when they added the dark green color to the line up.
97" the wheels are the same but they are brushed instead of painted grey. They upgraded the motor and transmission to 3.2 6 speed. More colors like yellow etc.
00" they started making perforations on the seats instead of solid wrinkle leather.(Looks much nicer I think) Gauges got updated.
02" they changed the front and rear bumper covers, headlights and taillights. The interior added silver accents like on the door handles. White stitching was added to the dash and doors etc. New colors and the option to match the interior leather color.(I'd stick with black)
04" they changed the shift knob and minor interior upgrades. I think different gauge bezel. It's all black now instead of the brushed silver.
05" last year! Get one if you can.

I think that's pretty accurate on the year changes. There may be a few incorrect things but if they are it is close. Here is a couple pics of my old NSX's. Good luck with the buy and keep us posted!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM

'03 E55 AMG
That sounds like an awesome price for that NSX. I'm sure once you test drive one you'll be sold. I've had mine for over 5 years and the only way I'd get rid of it is if I was replacing it with another NSX.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:18 PM

a g
Mine say Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. When I had PS2's on my BMW's I don't recall them saying PS2's.
Originally Posted by ECBAOBAO

Thanks
Yes, they will say "PS2" on the side of the tire.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG, 2017 Porsche Macan S
Yesterday I replaced my OEM Continentals (32K) with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus nitrogen filled all season tires in sizes 245/40/18 front and larger 275/35/18 rears and immediately noticed a difference.
I am looking to buy these same tires this weekend. Glad to hear your feedback on them. I am also thinking of going with the 275s in the rear.

These A/S "Plus" tires have a tire grade wear rating of 500AA. I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest, and quality A/S performance tires make the most sense for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:56 PM

I had the opportunity to test them at freeway speeds (80+ in some cases) in both wet and dry conditions today on I-66 going to/from Alexandria, VA. I think they're GREAT and talk about "cat-like" grip, WOW! Very smooth freeway ride, very quiet, even my wife noticed it, and I didn't realize my stock exhaust sounded so good. I previously lived in Seattle and Eugene and think the Michelin's would be very well suited for the Northwest. If you're going to purchase them I strongly recommend you keep the 245's in front and step-up to the 275's in the rear. You'll like the ride!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 PM

It is an awesome price for the car. With documented $25K in upgrades and a new clutch (another $5K) I'm basically getting the car for free. Kelly, Edmonds, Cars.com, NADA and Vehix all place the range from $30-45K for a 97. I also looked at Auto Trader and the average was $35K for cars with a lot more miles. I'm waiting to hear from the owner to see how much he's really motivated to sell the car.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by NSX2NV
I love the NSX, look at my screen name =) I've owned 2 and I have no complaints. They are a different cars for sure. The E55 is a torque sadan, NSX is a go kart. I would recommend the NSX to anyone. Super reliable, fun to drive, head turner, built solid! If you get one I would recommend the 97+ cause those come with the C32A motor as opposed to the older C30. Also they have 6 speed transmissions instead of the 5. So you get the extra .2 liters of displacement, 20 more horse and a 6 speed. If you do get the older one try 95+ so you can get the targa top. I use to be a fanatic. It's been a while since I've talked about the differences in the years but I think this is pretty much how they break down.

91-93" no changes
94" they put new 7 spoke wheels and a split center console
95" they introduced the targa top. I think this is when they added the dark green color to the line up.
97" the wheels are the same but they are brushed instead of painted grey. They upgraded the motor and transmission to 3.2 6 speed. More colors like yellow etc.
00" they started making perforations on the seats instead of solid wrinkle leather.(Looks much nicer I think) Gauges got updated.
02" they changed the front and rear bumper covers, headlights and taillights. The interior added silver accents like on the door handles. White stitching was added to the dash and doors etc. New colors and the option to match the interior leather color.(I'd stick with black)
04" they changed the shift knob and minor interior upgrades. I think different gauge bezel. It's all black now instead of the brushed silver.
05" last year! Get one if you can.

I think that's pretty accurate on the year changes. There may be a few incorrect things but if they are it is close. Here is a couple pics of my old NSX's. Good luck with the buy and keep us posted!

Beautiful cars, they just make me more anxious to buy one. I'm looking at a 97 and appreciate you're taking the time to explain the differences. I was told that 97 and older are the better cars for the reasons you mention.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 PM

e55
Here's a link to pics of my supercharged 2004 NSX as well as pics of my previous 3 NSXs

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101857
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 PM

C63 AMG
Wow, I never thought I would find myself surfing NSXPrime on the MB forum...
I have had my NSX 8 years this week.
I have had my C63 AMG one month.
They asked if I would be trading the NSX in.... yeah, right.
The cars are 2 very different animals and don't really bear comparisons, it is like an apples to oranges situation.
The NSX, as a Viper enthusiast put it is truly "an automotive engineering marvel"; I couldn't have said it better myself. I have heard the car described as "sexy" on more than one occasion.
It is a car derived from years of Formula 1 success by Honda, designed to function as a daily driver, if you wish. A reliable exotic, which most people would say is an oxymoron, until it came out.
What people forget is that the NSX came out in 1990 and sold for $30k over the $60k sticker. The GT-R can't even match that draw. And the C63 AMG cerainly can't.
That said, I have found the C63 to be as enjoyable and exciting to own/drive as the NSX was when I bought it.
It will certainly have no problem passing the NSX in a straight as it should; it has more than twice the displacement! But the track may even things out a bit.

Just curious about the BMW drivers experience who said it spins like a top. Maybe it does in their hands, but after putting mine on Infineon, Texas Motor Speedway, Sebring, Mid-Ohio, Firebird etc. I have only spun mine once.... in my first track experience. I would bet these guys either don't know what they are doing out their on the track, (as I didn't) or they don't know what they are talking about.
Peter 02 AMG, the NSX weighs over 3000 lbs. I think the 2800 figger is for the Type R.
If you are at all interested in tracking the car, I would discourage getting the NSX-T(arga) as structural rigidity is compromised and weight is increased, which means that a 91-94 is faster and tighter than a 95 or 96.
The 97 increased displacement and went to a 6speed which was the most significant change/improvement in the 15 year history of the car. But it will be hard to find a coupe (non targa) as they were all special order from 96 forward with the exception of the Zanardi in 99, and none at all produced for 95.
One thing to keep in mind is the production numbers were very low and you are looking at a truly limited production car.
I have had my C63 and been driving it for a month, keeping the NSX at home. In that time, I have had one person comment to me about the car about how they liked it etc. I drove the NSX last week as I was getting the VIM and Valentine 1 modules from Mid City Engineering installed. I was not out 5 minutes and a guy at the stoplight had me roll down my window and told me about how much he liked the car for so long etc.
So the car WILL get attention whether or not you want it. That is one thing I like about the C63, it is under the radar as far as performance goes.
One final word, the NSX Prime website is the place to go for any info you seek on the car.
Good luck, let me know if I can help.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Very good information. I'm still in the market and left my business card for the owner to call me. So far no contact. Perhaps he isn't serious about selling one of his cars. The BMW guys I spoke to about tracking the NSX have a lot of experience at several local tracks. They track a highly modified pre-E39 M5 and sponsor other cars. I think it would be great fun to track an NSX within reasonable limits. And, drive it around town would also be a plus. I seldom see them anymore and when I do I'm still impressed.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:37 PM

C63 AMG
Don't be discouraged. I had my share of experiences dealing with chumps as well. I flew to Chicago to look at an NSX and the owner decided to back out on the day I was scheduled to do the inspection. Then I flew out to Beverly Hills and this ***** attorney claimed that his father in law took the car and was incomunicado when I was to have the inspection done.
I finally got mine in Las Vegas from a guy who was the night manager for the Crazy Horse Two, who hadn't even got the car titled.
Here are a few to look at while the current search is idling:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Tell the BMW spinners that there are a few products at Science of Speed they may want to look in to such as the non-compliance suspension beam, toe links and pivot clamps as well as the TEIN Flex system and the NSX-R stabilizer bars.
Good luck