W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cls 63 or clk 63 bs?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 CLS63 AMG(Designo Platinum Blk,030), 09 C63 AMG, 2010 Maserati QP Sport GTS, 2010 Maserati GTS MC
cls 63 or clk 63 bs?

Hey Guys~ I have to make a very important decision in about a week and I really need your help. I currently have an 09 cls63 with all the available options including the 030, cf trim, and distronic. I even ordered it in designo platinum black. Unfortunately it had some issues. After driving it for 100 miles, my cel came on which my dealer fixed without a problem. However, after pampering it and not even driving it through winter, my trany broke down all of a sudden at around 1000 miles. It just would not shift to 3rd gear for some reason. I took it to the dealer and they said that they have never had an issue like this before. So, they started doing some tests and found that it was not just a simple electrical problem. After doing a "K1" replacement to the trany, it still did not work. After few days, they told me that the whole trany would have to be replaced. Boy~ I was pissed... I talked to the service manager for a while expressing my rage and concern, he and the rep came up with couple options.
1. Keep my fixed cls and they will give me a reaonable compensation price.
(few grand)
2. Give a credit cash amount of exactly what I payed for my car including taxes to use on any mercedes models currently available in states.

Unfortunately, there is not single cls out there equipped like mine. There is a plain black with no cf trim and a white one. So I did some research and found that there are still few new 08 clk63 bs out there which has been reduced greatl from its sticker price because the dealers just have to move them out. Basically, I have three options here. I can either keep my car and get the money, get a white cls which I prefer over just a plain black one, or get the clk63 bs. A funny thing is that I will actually be saving money if I get the clk63 bs which was priced around 138k. Btw, I saw the Clarkson review of the bs and it completely sold me. I love the bs but the only thing that I am concerened is the fact that there are no longer convenient features currently in my car not to mention the back seats. It also does not blip the throttle in downshifts. I know the whole deal on it being better in hadling over my cls but is it really that worth it to compromise for all those nice goodies in my cls? Btw, my cls is all fixed after about a month and is running fine. I guess I could just keep my car but I feel like I am missing out on an opportunity to get a brand new car although my car only has 1500 miles. My cls also has a small scratch on one wheel and a stone chip underneath the fron bumper which bothers me alot especially when the car is new. Under these circumstances, it is tempting to just swap over for a new one. So, what are your thoughts? Thanks alot guys~
Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
1. You have a right to be very upset that your new car has issues.

2. There is no doubt in my mind that once the issues are corrected that it will be just fine and something that you will enjoy for many years.

This aside, it comes down to wether or not you should take advantage of this situation to change to a different model of car. The CLK BS is a fantastic car and probably the best balanced of all the AMG cars out there and will run a circle around your CLS63 in both performance and pure cool factor. It is a true AMG sports car that can be used a a grocery getter or daily commuter.

The flip side of this is that the CLS63 is a 4 door luxury cruiser that is smooth, will carry 4 people and is very easy to live with.

Go with the BS if you want a true sports car/daily exotic and don't mind a harder ride, etc.

Stick with the CLS if you want the ultimate in comfort and speed.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
First of all, great dilemma to have. Most people would love to have this kind of problem.

I don't know how you would feel about what I'd call "carsick" syndrome. Personally, I feel a little let down by a car if I pamper it and it breaks on me. Even if the car is later fixed, I would still feel very disappointed with it, and my attenna is always perked up for "the next problem" or the other shoe to drop...

This is very weird on my part. I have had many old muscle cars that I pampered and I have always wanted to find and fix any problem that might have come up. That is a fact of life. 40 years old cars break, no matter what... Yet my CLS has only 15K miles and recently I have had to get the IC pump replaced, as well as some tranny electrical connectors replaced. I am disappointed greatly in it. I may not even recover from the experience and come to like the car as much as before again.

So you ask yourself if you have this intrinsic emotional problem as me. If you do, get rid of the CLS. As you will have a lingering, nagging feeling about it. If not, keep it, as it is a one-of-a-kind auto that personified you more than a leftover, last model year BS. Use the comp money to buy something new for the car to help make you love it again.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i had the same issue with my 05 E500. Tranny failed after 5K miles on the car. They offered to fix and compensate me or buy the car back for everything I paid plus interest and offered me dealer pricing on any new car in the lineup. I opted to sell it back and waited until I found the right car. In my case since back then cars were still worth something used I found my 04 E55 out of state at another MB dealer - bought it sight unseen and have never looked back. As for the extended warranty, they gave it to me at cost based on my experience.

Good lock - I say go with the CLK BS and buy a used CLS550 for less than half for the daily driver.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
The dealer is giving you two rotten options. Go for a lemon-law buy back and get 100% of your purchase price (+ tax) back! They'll charge a nominal amount for usage, calculated at 100 miles (first malfunction).
The lemon law buy back is initated through Mercedes, not the dealer.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
i would have them fix the tranny and take the money and thow some shoes on for the summer, i had a tranny replaced at about the same miles as you and now have 15000 miles and car runs beter then ever.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by AZIPOD
The dealer is giving you two rotten options. Go for a lemon-law buy back and get 100% of your purchase price (+ tax) back! They'll charge a nominal amount for usage, calculated at 100 miles (first malfunction).
The lemon law buy back is initated through Mercedes, not the dealer.
It's not really eligible for lemon-law status though, is it? OP mentions "car is all fixed for a month now and running fine" - he's just concerned about missing a good upgrade opportunity. AFAIK, lemon law would be applicable if he had the same lingering problems and the dealer has failed to fix them after multiple attempts.

BTW - shows how desperate car dealers are in this economy to move iron... giving full purchase price for a trade-in to buy any other new MB wouldn't occur when times are booming (IMHO).

Blacksport's advice is solid. If it were me, I'd strongly consider the CLK63BS upgrade.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
they bought mine back - but it was in the shop repeatedly for the same issue and mb would rather buy back vs. lemon it.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:37 AM

09 CLS63 AMG(Designo Platinum Blk,030), 09 C63 AMG, 2010 Maserati QP Sport GTS, 2010 Maserati GTS MC
Thanks for your inputs guys
I am still thinking... I love everything about the bs but the only thing is that the clk body just looks obsolete to me. I guess this should not really matter once I start to get behind the wheel. Hey Coolcamden, I think I have something similar to what you are saying. Its killing me becuase I love both cars but I think I just want a new car because of the problems that my car had. I don't think I will be able to sleep for couple days
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by baldmike73
they bought mine back - but it was in the shop repeatedly for the same issue and mb would rather buy back vs. lemon it.
Did they actually give you cash for it or an exact amount that u bought the car including tax as a credit to use on a new merc?