W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG 'Thank You' to Vadim, Victor & Scorcher!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 PM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
BIG 'Thank You' to Vadim, Victor & Scorcher!

Huge props to Victor and Vadim for all you guys do to advance our desire to mod the bejesus out of our cars. Specific thank you to Vadim for the great price on the CF airbox last month. What a beautifully made, high quality piece. Victor, thanks for the prompt reply RE: availability of the reducer ring to run the 80mm TB airbox on my stock TB. And HUGE thanks to Scorcher for coaching me through making my own 'reducer.' Your post with close-up detailed photos was such a huge help. I bought a black 3"-4" reducer and very carefully kept trimming away the excess material in increments untill it fit just right between the TB and the mouth of the airbox. The 'narrow' end slid snugly over the stock TB and the 'flared' end fit right over and around the outside edge of the opening on the box. When the box is snapped into place with the spring tabs and rubber posts, the tension perfectly presses the ring between the TB and the airbox.

What exactly is the trick with spray carb cleaner to make sure you have an airtight seal all the way around the TB?? I can tell the ring fits perfect on the 'top' side that I can see, but my hands are too big to slip behind and feel all the way around to make sure that I do not have any crimps or gaps back behind. I will say there is no unusually loud 'hissing' while the motor is running with the hood open that you would expect if you had a little gap, and the car ran great on a short test drive. I just want to be darn sure that I do not have a breach along the backside that would allow dirt to get sucked into the motor.

Thank you again!!

Next up - VRP shorty headers and then an 80 mm TB (by by reducer!)

BTW - Victor and Vadim, now that you are coming out with an even better big TB kit, are you going to run a 'special' on any of the original 80mm kits you have left in stock?????

Thanks again!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
No probs old chap - glad to be able to give back to the site
Old 04-07-2009, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by PDC
... BTW - Victor and Vadim, now that you are coming out with an even better big TB kit, are you going to run a 'special' on any of the original 80mm kits you have left in stock?????

Thanks again!!!
I suspect that a lot of folks who upgraded to the 80mm TBs are likely to upgrade to the even larger TBs once they become available.

If that turns out to be true then most or all of them will likely sell their used 80mb TBs at very attractive prices.