W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Painting the roof Black

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
lol @ peeps thinking I'm doing this to pretend I have a pano roof! ROTFL!!! Come on now, how freaking lame would that be??? I painted my caliper yellow to pretend I have Porsche Ceramic brakes lol
Old 04-15-2009, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by efivefiveamg
To each his own, but I find it funny how often "poser threads" pop up in here when so many members are rocking the black roof.

That being said, I have been vocal about my dislike of poser threads. I don't have any problem with people putting AMG badges on non-AMG cars, etc. The way I see it, its all customization and people should do to their cars whatever makes them enjoy it more.

But lets not be hypocritical, painting your roof black is no different than rocking an AMG badge on a non-AMG MB.
ahahahaha.....so if i put on a black spoiler on the rear trunk, then what??

you drama queens with your stupid inputs...also funny the one's that chime in are the one's that rock a stock car....
Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by The Godfather
lol @ peeps thinking I'm doing this to pretend I have a pano roof! ROTFL!!! Come on now, how freaking lame would that be??? I painted my caliper yellow to pretend I have Porsche Ceramic brakes lol
LOL, mike no point yaping with people with no taste that tend to be another sheep/cow out there with their stock car's.....actually a mod for them is maybe tinting their windows
Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG 030
ya true even if MB had never introduced a pano roof i would still want to paint mine it just sets off a light colored car and makes it look cool. its going to pop with my black wheels , black grill, and black impact strips.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
In all seriousness, if one is painting the roof to fake the pano, it's whack as hell and I would hate on it hard. But that's not why we paint ours.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 W211 E55K, GL550
In all seriousness, if one is painting the roof to fake the pano, it's whack as hell and I would hate on it hard. But that's not why we paint ours.
i agree i painted my old w210 55's roof do to the black sunroof and the silver on the roof was completly off i thought that was the best thing i did on that car. I got nothing but positive feed back its ridiculous that some one would find it "poserish" to do a mod like that if its on the right car and right color its a awsome idea. my .02

Old 04-15-2009, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
lol @ peeps thinking I'm doing this to pretend I have a pano roof! ROTFL!!! Come on now, how freaking lame would that be???

I did mine too....it just goes well with the black theme...S63 has PANO, the E55 has a black roof... DO IT

Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 AM

bike
I think it's kind of a fad right now...I wouldn't do it to my car, but it does look good. Just do whatever you want, don't follow the crowd.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
how much did it cost to paint the roof (godfather , pertplus) ? I think im going to vinyl it so I can always remove it plus some places have a 3 year warranty of car Vinyl's.
Pm me

To each his own, but I find it funny how often "poser threads" pop up in here when so many members are rocking the black roof.

That being said, I have been vocal about my dislike of poser threads. I don't have any problem with people putting AMG badges on non-AMG cars, etc. The way I see it, its all customization and people should do to their cars whatever makes them enjoy it more.

But lets not be hypocritical, painting your roof black is no different than rocking an AMG badge on a non-AMG MB.

In the pantheon of retarded comments, yours my friend, truly stands alone. A black roof is not even close to putting an AMG badge on a non-AMG car, one just has an effect on the way the car looks and the other makes a statement (albeit false) about the performance of the car. What if I painted my hood, my calipers, or anything else, how does the color of any of my mods falsely convey what type of car I have? Is the fact that I have a CLS63 designo steering wheel mean that I want people to think I have a CLS63 or was it because I like the steering wheel better? You think I care if some douche-canoe like yourself is fooled for a second in thinking that I have a pano roof so I can say to myself "Oh yeah, he bought it, he bought it, finally people think I have a pano roof!" I, and I think I speak for Mike (Godfather), like the way the roof makes our car look. Here's what you need to do, go to www.dictionary.com, look up the word "hypocritical", study it, and then write me an essay using that word in an explanatory manner. Hey Aristotle, good luck in all your future endeavors, and by that I mean going door-to-door in your neighborhood explaining that according to Megan's law you have to inform them..blah blah blah
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM

2004 E55
No need to throw personal insults, fellas. This is a thread about opinions, everyone is entitled to one. No need to be so defensive.

Pert and Gfather, I think your cars look amazing. I just wouldn't do many of the mods you have done, for various reasons. If that makes me a "douche-canoe," well, sobeit, I guess. Keep modding and personalizing your cars, they are a few of the best ones I've seen.

At the end of the day, everyone should do what makes them happiest with their car. Thats the point of it all, right? Whether thats putting reflectors all over it, or not modding a single thing, is irrelevant.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM

07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
It's an AMG for crying out loud...it's not a freakin honda you know....DON'T DO IT !!!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No need to throw personal insults, fellas. This is a thread about opinions, everyone is entitled to one. No need to be so defensive.

Pert and Gfather, I think your cars look amazing. I just wouldn't do many of the mods you have done, for various reasons. If that makes me a "douche-canoe," well, sobeit, I guess. Keep modding and personalizing your cars, they are a few of the best ones I've seen.

At the end of the day, everyone should do what makes them happiest with their car. Thats the point of it all, right? Whether thats putting reflectors all over it, or not modding a single thing, is irrelevant.
Absolutely you are entitled to your opinion, whether its positive or negative. Saying it looks "good" or "whack" or anything synonymous, is all good. But making some implied remark that painting my roof is in any way similar to someone who portrays their vehicle in a completely fraudulent light is a comment that warrants a direct response. I admittedly love the pano roof, but Im not a huge fan of the extra weight it would have put on my car (not to mention the ungodly amount of money an after-market pano roof would cost). But basically, when it comes down to it, you are calling me and Mike and anyone like us, a poser...which I think is completely uncalled for. People love my HREs, people hate my HREs, people like the Group5 sticker, some think its tacky and lame...and that's all good. But when you step over that line and make some assinine parrallel between me painting my roof, and some ***-wagon who brazenly place AMG badges on their C230s or E350s, such a comparison is inapt at best. So by all means, voice your opinion, but be prepared for me to respond when I feel you have stepped over that line, just like I would expect anyone else to respond (as you did) if he/she felt I did the same.

Last edited by Pertplus; 04-15-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
LOL damn.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Now that's a beat down - well said Pert !!
Personally, I like the carbon fiber roof and if your gonna vinyl wrap it, maybe do it in a CF material ? I dunno, it would look good but then again it's trying to be something it ain't.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Pertplus
Absolutely you are entitled to your opinion, whether its positive or negative. Saying it looks "good" or "whack" or anything synonymous, is all good. But making some implied remark that painting my roof is in any way similar to someone who portrays their vehicle in a completely fraudulent light is a comment that warrants a direct response. I admittedly love the pano roof, but Im not a huge fan of the extra weight it would have put on my car (not to mention the ungodly amount of money an after-market pano roof would cost). But basically, when it comes down to it, you are calling me and Mike and anyone like us, a poser...which I think is completely uncalled for. People love my HREs, people hate my HREs, people like the Group5 sticker, some think its tacky and lame...and that's all good. But when you step over that line and make some assinine parrallel between me painting my roof, and some ***-wagon who brazenly place AMG badges on their C230s or E350s, such a comparison is inapt at best. So by all means, voice your opinion, but be prepared for me to respond when I feel you have stepped over that line, just like I would expect anyone else to respond (as you did) if he/she felt I did the same.
\

So reading-comp is not your strong suit. I never called you or Mike posers, to the contrary I actually said we should refrain from calling ANYONE a poser (based on how they customize their car). Get your rocks off any way you like, but I never said the things you attribute to me.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Originally Posted by JoelE55
It's an AMG for crying out loud...it's not a freakin honda you know....DON'T DO IT !!!
LOL

There's so much comedy in this thread!!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Mine came black.......

Should I paint it silver?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM

07 E63 AMG / 07 C230 / 14 E350
do it with a checkered flags...LOL
Old 04-15-2009, 04:13 PM

2003 S-600
I like it. Go for it.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:24 PM

2007 E63 AMG, 2012 F250 4x4
From a distance it might be, well, almost fine; but up close..... Hmmmm......
Old 04-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Mine came black.......

Should I paint it silver?
lol, you beat me to it! i was gonna comment on how i'd paint mine black too, except it already is!

aside from the nonsense, i think on a silver car, it looks great... i personally dont feel it's poser material at all, but that's my opinion... the majority of the people who will see/admire this car won't know what pano roof is, so regardless i think from an asthetics standpoint, do it...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:39 PM

W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Man I really got everyone stirred up by starting this thread. It was not intentional... I promise!!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're right, I totally misread what you wrote. I should go back and re-pass reading comprehension and maybe give back my legal degree while I am at it. You never compared painting your roof black to falsely putting on an AMG badge, insinuating that people like me are no different than those that falsely create their impression that their car is faster and/or more expensive than it really is.

Great, you dont have a problem with people putting AMG badges on non-AMG cars and I understand you hate when people call others posers, but the fact is that those people, whether they like it or not, are posers. If I paint my t-shirt with a giant LV emblem so that people think my t-shirt is a Louis Vitton original, guess what, I am a f-ing poser! If I ripped the AMG badges off my car and put "Aston Martin" & "Vanquish" on it, guess what, I'd be posing! Im taking offense that you would put me in a category of individuals that, as the kids said in the 80s, "fake the funk" with their rides.

See, I'm not a snob (and I know "The lady doeth protest too much"), because whatever car you drive, you should be proud of it regardless. I dont even get offended when people put fake AMG badges on their cars, because in truth, I just feel bad that people may feel like they need to in order for them or their car to get respect. If you are using your car as a mode to get personal validation, then you got tons of issues. I love it when I get props for my car, but I, nor does my car, run on props.

So, in conclusion, you can put your little caveat that "I dislike poser threads" and think "all customization is the same", but the truth is, that it isnt. I mean, if you can tell me with a straight face that a dude with a Corolla ripping his badges off and putting Ferrari badges on it is tantamount to me painting my roof black, your next apple martini is on me!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM

2004 E55
I think where you went wrong was thinking I was insinuating anything. Again we come back to what I said earlier, this is about opinions. I have stated my opinions, without insulting you (intentionally, that is). Anyway, enough with this non-sense. Who really cares at this point? You have a black roof and you're not a poser. No one is in disagreement about that.

Where did you go to law school and when did you graduate, perhaps we know each other. Feel free to PM me, I'm always interested in meeting fellow attorneys in socal with similar interests outside of the law (its not often I meet one with an interest in cars).
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM

W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
To the honorable moderator:

I think it's time to lock this thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Painting the roof Black