W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

485 RWHP, 595 RWTQ, How it's done, with TVT

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
Congrats Kevin, you will have to come down to one of our next rack rentals

Jason, Please keep me updated as I am definitely in for that. I will bring the Jeep down too.
It would be cool to meet, since we have done business together and never met!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by prodigymb
come up to 1320 dyno day on the 25th. i just got evosport headers and will get my car tuned by LET for them. so it will be similar in mods to yours except my pulley is a 175mm evosport and my headers are evosport, i also have a 80mm tb and a heat exchanger. i am curious to see how my new numbers will compare to yours on same dyno and same day.
Hey Mark,

Yeah, we dyno'd there on Saturday. You guys are going to be there next Saturday?
Any interest in meeting at Cecil County this Friday? I will be leaving Wilmington about 4:30-4:45.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by Kevinw23michele
Hey Mark,

Yeah, we dyno'd there on Saturday. You guys are going to be there next Saturday?
Any interest in meeting at Cecil County this Friday? I will be leaving Wilmington about 4:30-4:45.
I went to atco last week, and I am going to work on my car sunday - do a thermostat upgrade. I will get retuned for the headers on Saturday teh 25th and go to teh track the following week.

I also dynoed my car on that dyno before, but we dynoed in 3rd gear because we were told the dyno was a 150mph dyno. I saw your dyno was done in 4th gear that's why I asked.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrysler Crossfire
Here is a close up pic of the inside diameter of the stock pipe. As you can clearly see IT IS NOT 2.75". I hope this clears everything up and proves that I am indeed right (its an ego thing).

For all those math guys out there adding .5" diameter to the pipe will increase the overall volume by 2.16". 4.91" to 7.07" and that's per pipe.

I think that helped bump our numbers up a little as well.
Attached Thumbnails 485 RWHP, 595 RWTQ, How it's done, with TVT-stocke55.jpg  
Old 04-14-2009, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
Here is a close up pic of the inside diameter of the stock pipe. As you can clearly see IT IS NOT 2.75". I hope this clears everything up and proves that I am indeed right (its an ego thing).

For all those math guys out there adding .5" diameter to the pipe will increase the overall volume by 2.16". 4.91" to 7.07" and that's per pipe.

I think that helped bump our numbers up a little as well.
BooYahh.....a lil pownage never hurt anybody
Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Thumbs up

Anthony: Nice job on the upgrade selection . Give me a call when you get a chance, I wanna talk to you about that thing we were discussing.

Kevin: Congrats on your new power upgrades.
It was nice to meet you at Rob's shop a few Saturdays back.
Let me know when you decide to visit Englishtown, maybe I can tag along and see what my car can run.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
Anthony: Nice job on the upgrade selection . Give me a call when you get a chance, I wanna talk to you about that thing we were discussing.

Kevin: Congrats on your new power upgrades.
It was nice to meet you at Rob's shop a few Saturdays back.
Let me know when you decide to visit Englishtown, maybe I can tag along and see what my car can run.
'

It was really nice meeting you to! I could listen to you talk about the workings of these engines for hours!

I am hitting Cecil County Dragway this Friday, but its a ways from you. But you are more than welcome to come. We have a really great group of guys going.
Otherwise, we can certainly set up a day at Englishtown.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
I am hitting Cecil County Dragway this Friday
What time Kevin, I may come up....Cecils only about an hour+ from me
Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM

A4, M3, 996, E55
The intake tubes have my interest.

I'm curious to know if it's necessary to modify the radiator support for these tubes. I thought the reason for the taper on the stock setup was becasue of the small openings in the radiator support. They simply made the taper smoothly to get down to that diameter hole. I even looked at the SL tube upgrade that's soo populare for the drivers side and couldn't see how it would be of benefit since it still has to be heated to conform to the stock opening in the rad. support.

Andy
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JAYCL600
What time Kevin, I may come up....Cecils only about an hour+ from me

Hey there Jason,

We are leaving Wilmington about 4:45, so we will get there by about 5:30. The track opens at 5 and racing starts at 6. When I got there at 5:30 last time I was about the 10th car to run, and got a bunch of runs in before it got crowded. Then we hung out for a bit and were out by 7:30-8.

It would be great to meet up with you if you can make it.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
The intake tubes have my interest.

I'm curious to know if it's necessary to modify the radiator support for these tubes. I thought the reason for the taper on the stock setup was becasue of the small openings in the radiator support. They simply made the taper smoothly to get down to that diameter hole. I even looked at the SL tube upgrade that's soo populare for the drivers side and couldn't see how it would be of benefit since it still has to be heated to conform to the stock opening in the rad. support.

Andy
The stock Driver's side starts at 3" and tapers down abruptly after the initial S-bend. THe Opening is then restricted to about 1.5". For our intake tubes the radiator supports do not need to be modified at all. The tubes are measured to butt up right up to the factory openings. You could potentially remove the stock openings and get 6" lengths of silicone to go through the opening and hook to the outer airflow inlets.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:05 PM

A4, M3, 996, E55
The stock Driver's side starts at 3" and tapers down abruptly after the initial S-bend. THe Opening is then restricted to about 1.5". For our intake tubes the radiator supports do not need to be modified at all. The tubes are measured to butt up right up to the factory openings. You could potentially remove the stock openings and get 6" lengths of silicone to go through the opening and hook to the outer airflow inlets.
I guess I"m failing to see how a 3" tube butted up against a 1.5" opening is any better than the stock setup. The restriction is still in the Rad. support and it's not being changed.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I guess I"m failing to see how a 3" tube butted up against a 1.5" opening is any better than the stock setup. The restriction is still in the Rad. support and it's not being changed.
The opening is rectangular in design and measures about 3" high and 2" across. The stock tube goes into this hole, our pipe is on the outside of it.

Also if you look at your stock tubes you will see exactly how a 3" tube will make a significant difference. If you have an E55 just pop the hood and look.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Hey there Jason,

We are leaving Wilmington about 4:45, so we will get there by about 5:30. The track opens at 5 and racing starts at 6. When I got there at 5:30 last time I was about the 10th car to run, and got a bunch of runs in before it got crowded. Then we hung out for a bit and were out by 7:30-8.

It would be great to meet up with you if you can make it.
trying to get there at 530 is suicide because of traffic, I have to check my schedule but i might be able to make it, would be great meeting you
Old 04-15-2009, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I went to atco last week, and I am going to work on my car sunday - do a thermostat upgrade. I will get retuned for the headers on Saturday teh 25th and go to teh track the following week.

I also dynoed my car on that dyno before, but we dynoed in 3rd gear because we were told the dyno was a 150mph dyno. I saw your dyno was done in 4th gear that's why I asked.
Sorry to go off topic, but is there another LET tuning session happening on the 25th at 1320?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by Thericker
BooYahh.....a lil pownage never hurt anybody

It sure as hell did on the 101 when I got my first experience of heatsoak. Lol

I'm traumatized, I'll never forget that day.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM

1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E (W124-036), 2004 W211 E55
Is there any concern that the intake tubes are metallic and conduct heat more than plastic? Being that colder air into the engine is always the preference, is there a way to measure the inlet air temp of the flow coming through the aluminum tubing versus the plastic. The volume is obviously an advantage, but not at the cost of "colder air". No flames intended, just a question.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
It sure as hell did on the 101 when I got my first experience of heatsoak. Lol

I'm traumatized, I'll never forget that day.
Sorry off topic:

LoL I thoght you had lifted when we 1st ran so I ended up lifting a couple times thinking you couldn't hear the honks or accidentally stepped on brakes instead of the gas as you were so far behind

I think the worst was the 335i popin' your cherry Kidding aside we gotta meet up again MJ50 wants to try out my Viseeo BT puck before he buys...pm me if you'd like to join for carnage afterwards

Last edited by Thericker; 04-15-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by G Man
Is there any concern that the intake tubes are metallic and conduct heat more than plastic? Being that colder air into the engine is always the preference, is there a way to measure the inlet air temp of the flow coming through the aluminum tubing versus the plastic. The volume is obviously an advantage, but not at the cost of "colder air". No flames intended, just a question.

Aluminum dissipates heat at a very high and is the main reason it is used over steel for intake piping. After an hour or so of hard track time Aluminum tubing is often warm to the touch, not hot. I've seen this numerous times with intakes for all types of cars.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
We're going to help you out here by keeping your thread near the top for a while longer.

Here is your original post; the one that I said misrepresented the size of the stock exhaust pipes on an E55:

It would make a reduction, the size is unknown until its tested. Stock is 2.5" with 4 cats and a big resonator. It would be less expensive though.
When someone refers to exhaust pipe size, or goes to buy exhaust pipe, they request the pipe size by stating the tubing's outside diameter. This is why you see stainless tubing offered for sale at various online exhaust dealers (e.g., Burns Stainless, SPD, etc.) in sizes such a 3.0", 2.75", 2.5" and so forth (and why you said your package used 3" piping). These are OUTSIDE diameters. So based on your post above, you stated the stock exhaust is 2.5" piping, which clearly implies OD, and which is wrong. You didn't originally say it is has 2.5" ID diameter piping (which is wrong, too). Then you post the following:

Now, and only now do you start talking about inside diameter of the pipe. In fact, your initial post listed the "3" exhaust your set-up uses. But, now we've shifted to inside diameter? Sorry, let's stick to your original statement comparing your 3" exhaust to the "factory 2.5" exhaust" (see first quote above, again) so we're comparing apples to apples. Nice try, though.

So now let's take a look at an E55 muffler and it's inlet pipe. First the muffler:

The above photo shows a right rear muffler from an E55. The metric caliper is stabilized by the small bottle of water in the photo.

Now, here's a closer up picture showing a metric measuring caliper displaying the outer diameter of the exhaust tubing:

Dang, 70mm!!!! Or expressed in inches: 70 / 25.4mm = 2.76"!!! So, thanks, but I will stand by original statement that the E55 has 2.75" (70mm) exhaust pipes on it.

Anyway, it's all good. Glad to see some other guys are working on making our cars better.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Kevin may post up more pics, but it is basically 2 3" aluminum pipes in place of the plastic inlet pipes. They are attached with silicone couplers. The tubes are Mandrel bent and maintain 3" diameter all the way through.

I'll post pics of all the pipes measured tomorrow.

As noted before, 40 RWHP+ and 65 RWTQ+. Some customers have also reported 10-15 more mpg and a more pleasant mood.

And intake tubes, filters, plugs and wires, and pump. These items are essential for good torque and keeping it in the higher RPMs. The exhaust is what put us over the previous record...

Kevin will be taking it there. If it doesn't put down numbers I like, he will be fired as head driver and we will have someone fill in. Kevin is unaware of this.

Come on 40 rwhp for intake tubes? Even if 15 rwhp is true I am buying them for $200. I would like to see a pic as they exit out into the front grill area. Do the filters remain in the stock location or do they attach at the very end near the radiator. I hope someone does a before/after dyno here.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
just ordered at set of intake tubes hopefully they will be here before next saturday so i can try them out at speed world.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:06 AM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
just ordered at set of intake tubes hopefully they will be here before next saturday so i can try them out at speed world.
let us know how they are
Old 04-18-2009, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by Bisco
let us know how they are
will do pry not going to see a huge performance difference but hopefully a better SC wine.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by komp55
We're going to help you out here by keeping your thread near the top for a while longer.

Here is your original post; the one that I said misrepresented the size of the stock exhaust pipes on an E55:

When someone refers to exhaust pipe size, or goes to buy exhaust pipe, they request the pipe size by stating the tubing's outside diameter. This is why you see stainless tubing offered for sale at various online exhaust dealers (e.g., Burns Stainless, SPD, etc.) in sizes such a 3.0", 2.75", 2.5" and so forth (and why you said your package used 3" piping). These are OUTSIDE diameters. So based on your post above, you stated the stock exhaust is 2.5" piping, which clearly implies OD, and which is wrong. You didn't originally say it is has 2.5" ID diameter piping (which is wrong, too). Then you post the following:

Now, and only now do you start talking about inside diameter of the pipe. In fact, your initial post listed the "3" exhaust your set-up uses. But, now we've shifted to inside diameter? Sorry, let's stick to your original statement comparing your 3" exhaust to the "factory 2.5" exhaust" (see first quote above, again) so we're comparing apples to apples. Nice try, though.

So now let's take a look at an E55 muffler and it's inlet pipe. First the muffler:

The above photo shows a right rear muffler from an E55. The metric caliper is stabilized by the small bottle of water in the photo.

Now, here's a closer up picture showing a metric measuring caliper displaying the outer diameter of the exhaust tubing:

Dang, 70mm!!!! Or expressed in inches: 70 / 25.4mm = 2.76"!!! So, thanks, but I will stand by original statement that the E55 has 2.75" (70mm) exhaust pipes on it.

Anyway, it's all good. Glad to see some other guys are working on making our cars better.

You do realize that they thickness of the pipe wall makes a huge difference right? The factory pipe is about an 1/8" thicker around then standard T304 Stainless, we're not talking the cheap T409 that some people play off as the good stuff.

But if we are going by your measurments, then our pipe on the exhaust is actually about 3.25"!!! Damn, that makes us look even better. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 485 RWHP, 595 RWTQ, How it's done, with TVT