Sponsored by:

No E Coupe AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E63, 2018 AMG GT Convertible
No E Coupe AMG?

Just read that MBZ in NOT planning on adding the AMG goodies to the new E Coupe? Anyone else know better or other? We really wanted the new Convertible AMG when (if) it came out.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
It is wise for them to gauge interest in the E-Coupe before releasing the AMG version.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
It is wise for them to gauge interest in the E-Coupe before releasing the AMG version.
I agree, but I would also think it wise for them to have an AMG coupe of some kind to compete with the M3 E92 coupes. That is a nice market segment and I can not believe they would just hand it off to BMW without a fight. BMW has dominated that segment for years, just when MB/AMG prove they can build a car (Black Series) that can not only compete with, but pretty much beat up on the M3 they back out of that market Besides that, IMO an E Class coupe would be more of a contender with the 645/M6, right? Maybe they have a C 63 coupe in the works, maybe they are just going to drop the CLK name
Old 04-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 2004 Audi S4 (gone and missed)
Originally Posted by jrcart
I agree, but I would also think it wise for them to have an AMG coupe of some kind to compete with the M3 E92 coupes. That is a nice market segment and I can not believe they would just hand it off to BMW without a fight. BMW has dominated that segment for years, just when MB/AMG prove they can build a car (Black Series) that can not only compete with, but pretty much beat up on the M3 they back out of that market Besides that, IMO an E Class coupe would be more of a contender with the 645/M6, right? Maybe they have a C 63 coupe in the works, maybe they are just going to drop the CLK name
Agreed, Not only should MB have a coupe in the AMG lineup, they should also think about offering a manual transmission. This might not work in an E or an S class, but a CLK or E class coupe with a stick would be awesome. I truly believe this would convince many stick driving BMW fans to cross over to our side.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by NDF55
Agreed, Not only should MB have a coupe in the AMG lineup, they should also think about offering a manual transmission. This might not work in an E or an S class, but a CLK or E class coupe with a stick would be awesome. I truly believe this would convince many stick driving BMW fans to cross over to our side.

Not if they slap the MCT in it
Old 04-15-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by jrcart
As much as I agree with you about everything else, I have to disagree about the CLKBS being competition for the M3. I'm sorry but even if you're saying that the CLKBS is (much) better than the M3, which it is, it should be for that price.

Like I said though, I completely agree with you that MB shouldn't just hand it off to BMW without a fight.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by W211 BEAST
As much as I agree with you about everything else, I have to disagree about the CLKBS being competition for the M3. I'm sorry but even if you're saying that the CLKBS is (much) better than the M3, which it is, it should be for that price.

Like I said though, I completely agree with you that MB shouldn't just hand it off to BMW without a fight.
+1

A CLK63 Coupe would be competition for an M3. A CLK63BS would be competition for an M3 CSL (which was canned, unfortunately).

I don't think Mercedes is necessarily leaving money on the table here, the C63AMG does quite well against the M3 Sedan, and there is little difference performance-wise between the E90 and E92. Besides, Mercedes is CREATING new classes with the CLS, which has basically carved out an entirely new niche of Sedans with Coupe lines.

The E-Coupe, IMHO, would be more of a direct competitor with the 6-Series.....right?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
My personal opinion of what got us here...

The CLK originally started out as the old school 2 door E class (forgive me for not knowing the exact style or year), and in looks (inside and out) it was the same as the E class. In recent years, the CLK interior looks like it's somewhere between a C class and an E class, obviously straying from its original purpose, a 2 door E class. I think MB is changing the name to the E class coupe to, well, get more respect for the car. I haven't seen any interior pics, but I'm guessing that with the name change, its gonna have the same interior as th new E (it better IMO). So, if it has the E class interior, then yes, I think of it as a 6 series competitor, even though the SL can also be thought of as a 6 series competitor. So now MB needs to make a nice C class coupe to go head to head with the 3 series coupe.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
+1

A CLK63 Coupe would be competition for an M3. A CLK63BS would be competition for an M3 CSL (which was canned, unfortunately).

I don't think Mercedes is necessarily leaving money on the table here, the C63AMG does quite well against the M3 Sedan, and there is little difference performance-wise between the E90 and E92. Besides, Mercedes is CREATING new classes with the CLS, which has basically carved out an entirely new niche of Sedans with Coupe lines.

The E-Coupe, IMHO, would be more of a direct competitor with the 6-Series.....right?
I agree, the C63 sedan can hold it's own against a new M3 E90/92 in most situations, One would asume that MB could build a C63 coupe off that platform which would be able to retail in the $70k range which would line up nicely price wise with an M3. I prefer the looks of a coupe over a sedan, I don't need four doors, a coupe is just sportier and cooler looking IMO. I'm sure I am not the only person that prefers coupes over sedans. The C63 and M3 sedans are great, if I did not have the luxury of having many vehicles and was forced to choose one car and it would be my "fun" car and daily driver all wrapped up into one car it would most likely be a C63 or M3, they do everything well and you can stick a couple people or a baby seat in the back if needed.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997.2 GT3
An AMG E coupe would not compete against the M3. I agree that the E Coupe would live further up market, and be a competitor to the M6.