Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
That is a huge heat exchanger!!! Wow!!!

btw,
Who does that C63 belong to and how come he doesn't come out to our meets! , and what did he dyno?
I've met the guy with the C63 before... he also has a 997 turbo... he did like ~350rwhp on the dyno dynamics.

I'm not sure why he doesn't come to our meets, I don't think he checks the boards much.

Originally Posted by nick 55
I might know....

Marcus, I love the shameless plug for CPT by using their business card. That's good!

Nick
Actually nick, I really wasn't trying to plug them with the card. There was a stack of them next to the display case, and when I took the first picture you couldn't really tell the size of the piece, so I grabbed a card because they are something that has a universal size and would allow people to really grasp the dimensions.

Next time you stop by the shop, you'll see the cards on the display case. They were just the closest thing...

-m
Old 06-08-2009, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Straight Pipes - one of the best mods you can do on a biturbo. I know the idea sounds a bit "ghetto" - but anyone who hears this monster will quickly think otherwise. This is how it should have come from AMG... it's a 604hp car... it needs a little bit of noise.

I like the way you think Marcus!!

It's not ghetto, just crazy loud!!

Heat Exchanger Arrived... Lookin' good!

That's one great looking and professionally built Heat Exchanger!!

Keep the mods coming and thanks for sharing!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
What a difference a good tech makes.

For the past year I have been struggling with lowend power on my 65. It was the absolute strangest thing I've ever seen. Below 4500rpm my car was a pooch. We tried a bunch of different remedies - water pump, heat exchanger, boost leaks, etc., etc., - nothing helped.

I did a before/after dyno with the new heat exchanger and CM30 pump, no gain in power (will post dyno if people are interested). Pictures of the heat exchanger installed also to follow... crappy phone pic for now.

I then began discussing the more "in depth" possibilities that remained and the potentially expensive repair bill they could carry (thank you MB Extended Care). The trouble with even having MB Extended Care is that we had to approach a low-power issue that was giving no codes - the proof was in my Dyno #s and my trap speeds (117-118). Enter nick55, a very talented V12 tech, and we formed a game plan. We were gonna target software first, since most of the mechanical stuff - barring the more in-depth stuff - we have eliminated.

Nick spent a few days going over the software in the car and found the proverbial rats nest. Old code, and even some SL600 coding in there. An update/correction of all the software... and, well, the results were staggering...

Yes, the blue was before, and the red was after. No, I did not get an ECU tune from a tuner, this was the difference between a car w/ messed up factory software, and a car with CORRECT, UPDATED factory software. We all dropped our jaws in amazement.

Driving the car afterward was crazy. Rear end going all over the place and a serious kick in the pants performance wise put a huge grin on my face. Now it's time to hit the drag strip...

The saga continues...

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 08-15-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Oh, and I almost forgot... few new SL glamour shots...

(this was pre-heat exchanger install)

-m
Old 08-15-2009, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 2012 F250 4x4
Beautiful CAR!!!! Love those wheels!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Stay tuned for the post software update youtube video titled, "Watch me do donuts in Marcus' SL65!" Just kidding Marcus, I wouldn't do that to your car......Aleks', maybe, but not yours.

Nick
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
The car is really coming together Marcus!

Great info, great find by the tech and good luck with whatever you have up your sleeve!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:16 PM

LS430

For the past year I have been struggling with lowend power on my 65. It was the absolute strangest thing I've ever seen. Below 4500rpm my car was a pooch. We tried a bunch of different remedies - water pump, heat exchanger, boost leaks, etc., etc., - nothing helped.

I did a before/after dyno with the new heat exchanger and CM30 pump, no gain in power (will post dyno if people are interested). Pictures of the heat exchanger installed also to follow... crappy phone pic for now.

I then began discussing the more "in depth" possibilities that remained and the potentially expensive repair bill they could carry (thank you MB Extended Care). The trouble with even having MB Extended Care is that we had to approach a low-power issue that was giving no codes - the proof was in my Dyno #s and my trap speeds (117-118). Enter nick55, a very talented V12 tech, and we formed a game plan. We were gonna target software first, since most of the mechanical stuff - barring the more in-depth stuff - we have eliminated.

Nick spent a few days going over the software in the car and found the proverbial rats nest. Old code, and even some SL600 coding in there. An update/correction of all the software... and, well, the results were staggering...

Yes, the blue was before, and the red was after. No, I did not get an ECU tune from a tuner, this was the difference between a car w/ messed up factory software, and a car with CORRECT, UPDATED factory software. We all dropped our jaws in amazement.

Driving the car afterward was crazy. Rear end going all over the place and a serious kick in the pants performance wise put a huge grin on my face. Now it's time to hit the drag strip...

The saga continues...

-m

Holy smokes! 600rwtq on a dyno dynamics, very stout Marcus, glad to hear the car is finally being what's it supposed to be, a monster....
Old 08-15-2009, 12:17 PM

LS430

The saga continues...

-m

Holy smokes! 600rwtq on a dyno dynamics, very stout Marcus, glad to hear the car is finally being what's it supposed to be, a monster....What kind of tune is in the works? Powerchip? Kleemann?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
The dyno numbers are out of control on his car!!! The old numbers were in the 440 range, then after the new reflash, in the 460 range and we were stunned!!! Then we let it cool even more, and it went over 480!!! If we let it cool even more it probably would have broke 500, on cpt's dyno dynamics is huge!!!

Congrats Marcus and nick!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
...well, the results were staggering....
Wow!

Congrats! Nice to see that your efforts paid off!!
Old 08-15-2009, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by E55AMGFan
Holy smokes! 600rwtq on a dyno dynamics, very stout Marcus, glad to hear the car is finally being what's it supposed to be, a monster....What kind of tune is in the works? Powerchip? Kleemann?
C'mon bud, if this thread have proven anything it's that I am a sucker for the complicated and the uncharted - often at my own peril. Sending out my ECU for a run-of-the-mill mail order tune would be somewhat unexciting, wouldn't it be? I might have something up my sleeve...

-m
Old 08-15-2009, 02:32 PM

LS430
C'mon bud, if this thread have proven anything it's that I am a sucker for the complicated and the uncharted - often at my own peril. Sending out my ECU for a run-of-the-mill mail order tune would be somewhat unexciting, wouldn't it be? I might have something up my sleeve...

-m

Well if there is one thing I know is that you LOVE power, which sounds similiar to a guy I knew of that had a 72mm(SP73HO) MKIV Supra that made 833rwhp. Do you know of him or is he a different Marcus Frost? I think not, you've always had an ace up your sleeve.

Last edited by E55AMGFan; 08-15-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
What kind of HE is that? So there were no power gains from the muffler delete?
Old 08-15-2009, 03:54 PM

LS430
There should be some power gains, straight pipes + turboed car = pickup in power and even spool especially if the diameter of the piping is increased.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Great news bud!! I'm happy you got her 100%+

Oh, and I almost forgot... few new SL glamour shots...

(this was pre-heat exchanger install)

-m
Yes, I've spoken to Nick, guys a wiz!! I wish he was on the Left coast to work on my SL Imagine that? Buggered-up w/some SL600 coding, wish my 600 could've been buggered-up w/SL65 coding, must've been running low boost IE 15-16 psi? not SL65 psi @ 18-19? I believe stk SL600 is around 14.5 psi... Now go re-run that lil M6 & youtube it

Last edited by Thericker; 08-15-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by E55AMGFan
Well if there is one thing I know is that you LOVE power, which sounds similiar to a guy I knew of that had a 72mm(SP73HO) MKIV Supra that made 833rwhp. Do you know of him or is he a different Marcus Frost? I think not, you've always had an ace up your sleeve.
Well, I think the love for power is a common thread amongst AMG owners... and yes, the Marcus you talk about and I are one in the same...

Originally Posted by RenntechE55
What kind of HE is that? So there were no power gains from the muffler delete?
CPT H/E. It's hard to say if there were any gains from the muffler delete because that mod was done when I had my f'd up coding. What I can tell you is that this car could pull over 500rwhp on a DD... and that is WAY higher than what a stock 65 should make. Stock 65 should be around 460-470rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics. Am I able to dyno higher because of my H/E and exhaust? Maybe...

Originally Posted by Thericker
Yes, I've spoken to Nick, guys a wiz!! I wish he was on the Left coast to work on my SL Imagine that? Buggered-up w/some SL600 coding, wish my 600 could've been buggered-up w/SL65 coding, must've been running low boost IE 15-16 psi? not SL65 psi @ 18-19? I believe stk SL600 is around 14.5 psi... Now go re-run that lil M6 & youtube it
I will post up my boost curves before and after... they were PATHETIC before... I made peak boost - 16.5psi - at like 4500rpm... boost curve looked like a triangle. Look at my old torque curve compared to now, a lot of that was because of boost. I am now making a good 18-19psi as is appropriate for a stock 65.

-m
Old 08-15-2009, 08:18 PM

2004 S55 AMG
You ran the M6 with the messed up software?

If so then wow just wow.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Arent 65 suppose to be 605hp stock?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Well, I think the love for power is a common thread amongst AMG owners... and yes, the Marcus you talk about and I are one in the same...

CPT H/E. It's hard to say if there were any gains from the muffler delete because that mod was done when I had my f'd up coding. What I can tell you is that this car could pull over 500rwhp on a DD... and that is WAY higher than what a stock 65 should make. Stock 65 should be around 460-470rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics. Am I able to dyno higher because of my H/E and exhaust? Maybe...

I will post up my boost curves before and after... they were PATHETIC before... I made peak boost - 16.5psi - at like 4500rpm... boost curve looked like a triangle. Look at my old torque curve compared to now, a lot of that was because of boost. I am now making a good 18-19psi as is appropriate for a stock 65.

-m
I told you about the boost drop I saw w/my 600, after knocking off your mufflers you do gain some top-end HP but drop low-end TQ & psi, (I went a bit further than your muffler delete, I had them fab 3" SS from cat-back) w/my added CAI I'm ONLY running 12.5 psi but HP is thru the roof...getting Custom PC Dyno-tune early next month

I'm betting you lost some PSI w/exhaust work as well, glad you sorted it what octane fuel were you using for this DD run? Did you Ice-down Intercoolers or allow a good cool down period before Dyno?

Last edited by Thericker; 08-16-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by Thericker
I told you about the boost drop I saw w/my 600, after knocking off your mufflers you do gain some top-end HP but drop low-end TQ & psi, (I went a bit further than your muffler delete, I had them fab 3" SS from cat-back) w/my added CAI I'm ONLY running 12.5 psi but HP is thru the roof...getting Custom PC Dyno-tune early next month

I'm betting you lost some PSI w/exhaust work as well, glad you sorted it what octane fuel were you using for this DD run? Did you Ice-down Intercoolers or allow a good cool down period before Dyno?
Hi Sean - I remember you talking about your boost drop but a few things - firstly, the dyno graph showing my triangular boost curve was done pre-muffler deletes - and secondly the SL65 mufflers are completely different than the 600s. As a matter of fact, my SL65 sounded almost exactly like my old SL600 with Eisenmann Race Mufflers. I do think I might have gotten a little drop in boost but it will be minimal.

93 octane was used, and we just used some fans to cool the car down, no ICE. Car was given some cooling time after driven there, but I wasn't looking for the best #s possible, I wanted to see the software made a difference - and it did. If I left the car overnight and dyno'd it cold in the morning, it would probably make 500rwhp.

-m
Old 08-16-2009, 06:07 PM

03 S600,05 E55,02 996TTx50,11 997 3.8GT3RS
Both of your AMGs looks amazing!! Nicely & perfectly modded. Time to enjoy your beast after you sorted out the culprit old codes issue...
Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Hi Sean - I remember you talking about your boost drop but a few things - firstly, the dyno graph showing my triangular boost curve was done pre-muffler deletes - and secondly the SL65 mufflers are completely different than the 600s. As a matter of fact, my SL65 sounded almost exactly like my old SL600 with Eisenmann Race Mufflers. I do think I might have gotten a little drop in boost but it will be minimal.

93 octane was used, and we just used some fans to cool the car down, no ICE. Car was given some cooling time after driven there, but I wasn't looking for the best #s possible, I wanted to see the software made a difference - and it did. If I left the car overnight and dyno'd it cold in the morning, it would probably make 500rwhp.

-m
Yo Marcus, totally agree I was just adding that you prolly lost a little PSI w/exhaust delete in addition to the SL600 coding...Ice-dwn IC's for 30-45min before next Dyno I'm certain you'll see 500+rwhp
Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL600, E30 325i Previous ride CL55 2004
beautiful!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Marcus's SL65 Build Thread...