W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Am I the only one that thinks Nav is unnecessary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Am I the only one that thinks Nav is unnecessary?

Everyone seems to think that waiting for the Navigation system is the thing to do. I think it's a colossal waste of money since it doesn't make the car handle or perform one ounce better. I don't need directions how to get to and from the places I usually drive, nor is Nav helpful when I take the car to the track. Let's get real, we want the new E55 in order to smoke some tires, kick some corvette or BMW butt, and to scare the wife and kids!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2003, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 C2S
I don't have NAV on my car, but my parents' vehicle certainly does. It's convenient to figure out how to get someplace, especially somewhere like New Jersey where I've never figured out the roads, and, IMHO, the signage is horrible. But maybe it's only because I lack a sense of direction. on the other hand, the NAV system doesn't usually do the best job -- like another poster once mentioned, it tries to dump you onto the nearest freeway, even when local roads may be faster.

I for one will likely get COMAND because it's just neat. But the true value of it? I dunno, probably not worth the price.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 E55 '99 ML430 '96 C4 Cab
When spending ~ $80k for a vehicle it is worth waiting for the colors and options that you want. As far as making the car go faster, it adds some weight and therefore makes the car go slower. This is also true of the audio system, the power seats, etc. I have an Alpine NAV system in my '99 ML and it is useful, even in areas that I know well, and invaluable in areas that I don't. The ~$2000 that MB charges is reasonable. The minimum to get into the Alpine CD based system (old) was ~$2000, and it is ~$3000 to get into the DVD based system. If you look at these things from a strictly financial perspective, you don't get back the dollars spent on options such as NAV when trading or selling the car. All that they do is enhance your driving experience, and that is "priceless"
Old 02-07-2003, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I agree - I don't need nav.
But it sure is fun, and I use it at least once a week.
Its the first thing "normal" people notice once they are in the car.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Everyone seems to think that waiting for the Navigation system is the thing to do. I think it's a colossal waste of money since it doesn't make the car handle or perform one ounce better. I don't need directions how to get to and from the places I usually drive, nor is Nav helpful when I take the car to the track. Let's get real, we want the new E55 in order to smoke some tires, kick some corvette or BMW butt, and to scare the wife and kids!!!!!!!!!!

....................I think you might be trying to rationalize your decision not to get Comand. The comand system is more than just for navigation. It integrates multiple A/V sources in your car into one unit. It greatly adds to the enjoyement of owning an MB. If speed alone was the issue, you can save a lot of money by buying a mustang. The idea is to combine the ultimate in luxury with the ultimate in speed and performance. I can almost guarantee that you will wish you got Comand.

Ted
Old 02-07-2003, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 S580 | 2024 Escalade ESV Sport Plat | 2022 X5M Competition
Personally, I plan on getting a TV tuner/DVD installed in the COMAND so my passengers can enjoy movies on long trips, etc.
That's the main reason I want the COMAND.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Out Of Control!

I too don't have a NAV! That's why i had to special order my car and waited almost a damn year to get it! But it's all worth the wait!
Old 02-08-2003, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Don't 'hate' on the guys that want Comand Nav. That is why it is an option - you get it if you want it. However, this is 2003 and to buy a car without Nav is so last century to the majority especially for a car at this price range. You will also suffer in trade-in or resale without options like Nav, Sunroof, CD Changer and HID and neither of these options help you whip a Vette.

It is all a personal choice of what you want in your car. If the logic of "I am buying the car to burn rubber and embarress Corvettes" then I guess you will take the car regardless of other options and color. When the lime green or light blue halogen lighted fix roof E55 comes in drive it home and search for Vettes. The rest of us will be 'snickering' at that color & option combo!
Old 02-08-2003, 10:44 AM

2000 BMW 540i
Originally posted by E55 KEV
Don't 'hate' on the guys that want Comand Nav. That is why it is an option - you get it if you want it. However, this is 2003 and to buy a car without Nav is so last century to the majority especially for a car at this price range. You will also suffer in trade-in or resale without options like Nav, Sunroof, CD Changer and HID and neither of these options help you whip a Vette.

It is all a personal choice of what you want in your car. If the logic of "I am buying the car to burn rubber and embarress Corvettes" then I guess you will take the car regardless of other options and color. When the lime green or light blue halogen lighted fix roof E55 comes in drive it home and search for Vettes. The rest of us will be 'snickering' at that color & option combo!
Kev,

I have been watching and replying on this forum for several months. This is the best forum around MB and E55's. I also have seen that you are pretty knowledgeable about MB/E55's. But making fun of folks due to not wanting to wait for Nav is kind of rude. Where is your sense of diversity. I agree with your comments and have changed my order, but I wouldn't talk about "The rest of us", since that includes others like my self and the folks at MB/AMG. I understand from recent discussions with a contact at MBUSA that our friends at AMG believe that the person who doesn't want Nav is REALLY WHO THEY CARE ABOUT. THis is because AMG puts the premium on customers who want high performance cars, NOT luxury laden cars. Yes I believe that MB should reflect BOTH high performance AND luxury, but AMG wants the entusiasts who are looking for the excitement of driving, not the thrill of NAV ( I have a Nav in my 540i, Its neat, but it gets old, HOWEVER, stomping on the accelerator has never gotten old).
My arguement is based on my discussions AND the fact that as you have pointed out, correctly so, that the price will be similar to the W210 E55's. The only way to accomplish this was to put performance first, obviously there is a lot of new technology (Not to mention Horsepower) is the new E55's. To balance the cost, at least for the US market, the 2003 E55 will come with out many options. This is how they can still get it to enthusiasts who want the car, but can't spend/don't want the toys (options). At AMG the thrill of the ride (and the smoking of those corvettes) come first. I do agree that for resale, you will have much more luck with a fully optioned car than on one without key options.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:10 PM

Nissan Sentra
My wife thinks its great so I'm out of luck on that one. I think the gadget factor would wear off quickly and I like the style of the dash without the command unit. MB's nav system is inferior to its japanese counterparts as well. For my wifes' sake I'll probably get it, but otherwise I would not.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
When the lime green or light blue halogen lighted fix roof E55 comes in drive it home and search for Vettes. The rest of us will be 'snickering' at that color & option combo!
Kev,

I'm surprised at your tongue-in-cheek afront to my OPINION regarding the COMAND system that many are waiting for. The Nav system is more of an expensive novelty and conversation piece than aything else. I read on another forum in MBWorld that DVD movies and television will not be possible on COMAND in the U.S. My dealer told me that he programs all NAV systems he sells with the buyers' addresses and when the majority of owners bring their car in for the first servicing their home address is still programmed on it. I can think of many better ways to spend $3000 than on a COMAND, and if you expect that to significantly help the car's resale value in the future, you'll be sorely mistaken. In the meantime I'll take my capri blue E55 with xenons and CD changer (the only necessary options IMO) when it arrives sometime this spring, smoke many a tire, and drive it at nearby Moroso motorsports park while those waiting for that must-have Nav can dream of days ahead (God knows when) of arriving at their destination without getting lost (hopefully at very fast speeds with Bimmers in their dust).

Harvey,

I think you hit the nail right on the head. AMG MEANS PERFORMANCE. Say no more. When I read of this car being produced and gave a deposit one year ago, I finally thought my dream had come true- to be able to afford a supercar. The W211 E55 is the modern day equivalent to my 442. Soon I will be the only one on the block with two cars with over 500 lb-ft of torque. Electronic gadgetry is for riceburners and 7 series BMW's.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........I don't think the Comand makes the car any less of a supercar. At least there is no proof so far that the Comand dissengages the supercharger and makes the car slower. If you don't want Comand, then no problem. I think you will think twice later. But saying that an E55 with Comand is somehow less of a supercar means that you think that the Comand affects the engine of the car? Or perharps, the comand messes up the suspension and causes the car to handle less well? If your car has comand and it causes your engine to produce less HP or your suspension to handle less well, then turn the buggar off so your engine and suspension can come alive again. Also, by the way, while you are at it, petition MB/AMG to ripp the Comand out of all those SL55's........so that they can show that the SL55 is a true enthusiasts' car. MB has always been about luxury. The AMG division now infuses performance into a LUXURY car. This is why this car does not come in manual transmission like BMW. Some even hate the idea that MB has ESP, ABS etc. Almost like MB/AMG should just hand you and engine and you can strap in on to a bicycle and go really really fast. You will be a true enthusiast.

Ted
Old 02-08-2003, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I don't think weight is such a big issue so much because the car is already over two tons. Obviously part of the appeal of his car is its refinement. Otherwise, there are more fun cars to drive.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
...........I don't think the Comand makes the car any less of a supercar. At least there is no proof so far that the Comand dissengages the supercharger and makes the car slower. If you don't want Comand, then no problem. I think you will think twice later. But saying that an E55 with Comand is somehow less of a supercar means that you think that the Comand affects the engine of the car? Or perharps, the comand messes up the suspension and causes the car to handle less well? If your car has comand and it causes your engine to produce less HP or your suspension to handle less well, then turn the buggar off so your engine and suspension can come alive again. Also, by the way, while you are at it, petition MB/AMG to ripp the Comand out of all those SL55's........so that they can show that the SL55 is a true enthusiasts' car. MB has always been about luxury. The AMG division now infuses performance into a LUXURY car. This is why this car does not come in manual transmission like BMW. Some even hate the idea that MB has ESP, ABS etc. Almost like MB/AMG should just hand you and engine and you can strap in on to a bicycle and go really really fast. You will be a true enthusiast.

Ted

Ted, You're missing my point. The only thing I'm saying is that COMAND is not necessary. People seem to think it is the thing to have and that it's so important it's worth waiting for. I just don't think so. That is my opinion, that's all. By these responses, it seems like I've struck a nerve. And that idea of strapping the engine to a bicycle and going really fast--seems like Dodge thought of this first with the 505 cubic inch V-10 Tomahawk.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:35 AM

MB E55 AMG 2000 Smart 2002 http://www.need4speed.dk/cars-old/Image/P681-1.jpg
I have command in my car and when I was in Germany to buy my car, did I have about 1000 km home, and I didn't know the way home.
I put in my adress in command and it guided my all the way home without any problems.
I think it's a fantastic instrument, uses it a cuople of times a week and then it looks nice too.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
ig ot my command for 1300
Old 02-09-2003, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce

I don't think weight is such a big issue so much because the car is already over two tons. Obviously part of the appeal of his car is its refinement. Otherwise, there are more fun cars to drive.

............of course I was joking about the Comand affecting performance.

Ted
Old 02-09-2003, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got Nav in your E55 - you can't drive. Yeah Right!

Originally posted by HarvE55
Kev,

But making fun of folks due to not wanting to wait for Nav is kind of rude

I understand from recent discussions with a contact at MBUSA that our friends at AMG believe that the person who doesn't want Nav is REALLY WHO THEY CARE ABOUT.

At AMG the thrill of the ride (and the smoking of those corvettes) come first
Sorry, if my comments seem rude, I was trying to be funny, but it does appear to be really silly to discuss and 'dis' someone who wants Nav or extra conveniences in their car and to somehow make that person less of an enthusiasts as the person without Nav. That is weird! It is like if you have Nav you are a poser or can not 'performance' drive your car. Also silly.

I really don't believe that AMG dislikes or cares less about a customer with certain options in their cars. Do they also care less for owners that select Distronic, Ventilated Seats or Keyless-Go? That makes no sense. Every SL55, CL55 & S55 have just about every option standard. First of all, who are you referring too - the builders and mechanics at AMG can not afford the cars they build and probably wish that AMG would build an affordable car - the absense of all those unnesseary electronics, leather, HID would make the car affordable to those wrenches.

The philoshophy of AMG and it products has not set it's sights or marketing on outperforming a Corvette.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 02-09-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Dr Chill
Kev,

I'm surprised at your tongue-in-cheek afront to my OPINION regarding the COMAND system that many are waiting for.

The Nav system is more of an expensive novelty and conversation piece than aything else. .., and if you expect that to significantly help the car's resale value in the future, you'll be sorely mistaken.

...those waiting for that must-have Nav can dream of days ahead.

To say my response is 'whimsical' is good - that is what I was trying to convey - a joke. Discussing 'to Nav or not to Nav' is not important. You buy it if you want it. I truly hope that you are not 'serious' believing or espousing that having Nav makes you less of anything or not having it makes you more of something.

Again you are saying that waiting for E55 Nav makes you less of something and having an early E55 without Nav makes you more of something. Pretentious I would say!

The only reason that the 2003 E55 does not have nav is because it is not ready for prime time.

The least wanted and hard to sell E55 model on the used market is the 1999 E55 which did not benifit from Nav nor many other upgrades. So regarless of your resale 'opinion' it is not highly desired when you can buy a 2000 with the availability of nav. History will repeat itself in the future and the 2003 E55 will be less desired than the 2004 with Nav.

About the Colors. I was referring to the Lt Blue Color - the Capri Blue is dark - which looks marvalous.

Old 02-09-2003, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Talking

I have the nav system, because my car came with every option available, which I think is good for resale value. As to the use of the nav system, it's always on, but I have never use it.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
. I truly hope that you are not 'serious' believing or espousing that having Nav makes you less of anything or not having it makes you more of something.

I never said this nor do I believe this is true. My ONLY point is that I think COMAND is not necessary and is an overpriced option. I want a W211 E55 for its kickass powerplant and ability to haul the wife and kids in style. If money was no object, I'd opt for a different car such as a CL55 or S55, or maybe a Bentley. But money is tight and the E55 is going to be a stretch, so omitting expensive nonessential options for me is a must. I truly believe most people with COMAND don't use it enough to justify the expenditure. For those who like a nav system, for under $600 this can be purchased.

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/

Last edited by Dr Chill; 02-09-2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:51 PM

2000 BMW 540i
Re: Got Nav in your E55 - you can't drive. Yeah Right!

I really don't believe that AMG dislikes or cares less about a customer with certain options in their cars. Do they also care less for owners that select Distronic, Ventilated Seats or Keyless-Go? That makes no sense. Every SL55, CL55 & S55 have just about every option standard. First of all, who are you referring too - the builders and mechanics at AMG can not afford the cars they build and probably wish that AMG would build an affordable car - the absense of all those unnesseary electronics, leather, HID would make the car affordable to those wrenches.

The philoshophy of AMG and it products has not set it's sights or marketing on outperforming a Corvette. [/B][/QUOTE]

Kev,

I think the responses on this thread pretty much cover the points I have made. Again, as I review your comments I think most of the responses understand the points I have tried to make, even if you have a different set of opinions.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Dr Chill
IFor those who like a nav system, for under $600 this can be purchased.

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/
Sure that is correct. If someone needs a portable GPS Navigation system that is really affordable. However, getting the options in your car is subjective and personal and know one should try to make light of having it or not having it as we have done.

If you want it get it and if you don't - don't. Many people buy cars with more options than they wish and some buy cars with less options. Many people just settle for the color combination the dealer has on the lot and some don't. When I bought my 98 E430 I was 'not' interested in paying for HID - but that was how the car was optioned and I purchased it. Now I am glad I did get HID and would never buy a car without it if possible. I passed on the sport package and regretted it. There was no E55 in 1998 so I could not consider it but when I came I wanted one. When Nav came I wanted that too.

Some may think it crazy to buy the MBZ V60 integrated phone for $1595 when you can buy a Motorola V60 phone for less than $200. However, that Motorola phone does not integrate with my Comand system.

I also want a 42" Plasma HDTV and many people will think paying $7k for a TV is crazy when you can buy a tube TV for $500.

With these E55 spots many may be faced with a car that is not their first choice in color and options and will be faced with taken one that is available or waiting another year. That is a bad scenario - I would hate to drive a car not optioned the way I wanted especially a brand new car like this, which cost so much.

Many of us buy things we barely use. That is just human. I have $10k worth of Mountain bikes that I barely use and a house full of bedrooms and beds I hardly sleep in and furniture I rarely sit on. Whew! Guys I can go on and on!
Old 02-10-2003, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This topic does have a silver lining.

Report say that the Navigation system is modular and can be added by the dealer when availalbe. So a 2003 E55 or any W211 Sedan, Wagon without Navigation is not the end of the story. It can be added in the future by the current owner or by the new owner after being sold used. I think that is really great news and forward thinking.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Modular Nav

What report states it's modular and able to be added in. I've currently "optioned" my E55 with the dealer waiting to see what happens with Nav. They don't have build date yet.

If there is reliable source for this info, I think a lot of folks would breath easier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that thinks Nav is unnecessary?