Malfunction - "Electrical Consumers are turned off"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Malfunction - "Electrical Consumers are turned off"

Anyone get this before? I get it all the time and I have a new huge 60lb battery. The AC keeps shutting off for periods of 2 to 30 minutes and I can't take it in the 90 degree heat, argg.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Sounds like it is time for you to replace the AUX battery under the hood, pretty important as it is the backup battery for your brakes (SBC) too.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Interesting. I get convinience features turned off when I blast my music at full blast for 30 minutes (while driving on the freeway). But I have an amp and two subs, so that's probably just draining all the juice.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Interesting. I get convinience features turned off when I blast my music at full blast for 30 minutes (while driving on the freeway). But I have an amp and two subs, so that's probably just draining all the juice.

your alternator is going bad. you will not get any other warning. No, you cannot use an obd 2 reader or star to find out. The car will continue to shutt of electrical consumers until finally the car will simply die. You may become stranded.

Ted
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
your alternator is going bad. you will not get any other warning. No, you cannot use an obd 2 reader or star to find out. The car will continue to shutt of electrical consumers until finally the car will simply die. You may become stranded.

Ted
damn glad you knew this, I would have likely become stranded with no idea why, what do new alternators run on these cars?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.

Ted
That's been going on for a year, ever since I got the subs put in. All is well otherwise. We'll see what happens...
Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221

Ted
+1...I had that warning a while back and it ended up being the alternator.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
+1...I had that warning a while back and it ended up being the alternator.
Would it do it randomly for no reason? It only does it on rare occasions when I bump my **** at max volume for 30 minutes +.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Would it do it randomly for no reason? It only does it on rare occasions when I bump my **** at max volume for 30 minutes +.
Well I don't have a bangin system or anything like that so I haven o idea. Mine prolly took a dump because of mileage. I figured it was about time...
Old 05-26-2009, 02:51 AM
Esh

E55
Your amp (or amps if you have multiple) are drawing a lot of current. Do your headlights flicker at night with volume at max?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Do you know your total amperage draw for your amps? And have you installed any caps?

Honestly, tho, I doubt that's your problem. MB alternators are oversized to begin with, you would have to go all xzibit on it before you would need more power. If all you did was add a set of subs and an amp, then odds are your alternator is crapping out.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by e55 baller
damn glad you knew this, I would have likely become stranded with no idea why, what do new alternators run on these cars?
Listen to Ted.

You're looking at about $1200, installed.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by Esh
Your amp (or amps if you have multiple) are drawing a lot of current. Do your headlights flicker at night with volume at max?
No headlight flicker. I think that happens only on non HIDs anyway...

Originally Posted by CWW
Do you know your total amperage draw for your amps? And have you installed any caps?

Honestly, tho, I doubt that's your problem. MB alternators are oversized to begin with, you would have to go all xzibit on it before you would need more power. If all you did was add a set of subs and an amp, then odds are your alternator is crapping out.
No caps. I'm saying it's not crapping out b/c it only happens when I do it at MAX volume with bass up like crazy. Only happened..maybe 3 times. But everyday I blast my music on the freeway, and it's fine. I guess if it fails, it fails. No reason right now to pre-emptively replace the alternator.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Holy Cow! Ted Baldwin, what the heck you been up to you ya ole dog??

Just haven't seen that name in awhile.

Sorry if you've posting more lately, I've been off and on.

The man that took the G wagon bout as far as I've ever seen hp wise!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:49 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600

No caps. I'm saying it's not crapping out b/c it only happens when I do it at MAX volume with bass up like crazy. Only happened..maybe 3 times. But everyday I blast my music on the freeway, and it's fine. I guess if it fails, it fails. No reason right now to pre-emptively replace the alternator.
Try buying a cap and wiring it in between the battery and the amp for your subs, that might solve your problem. I like Rockford, and an RFC1 should do the trick nicely. It won't cost but about $60 or $70, and then you'll know for sure whether it's your alternator or not.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Yeah that's what I'll try.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Esh

E55
Dash lights then? From what it sounds like, your amp/whatever else you're running is consuming all available power and when it gets to a certain point, your car starts shutting down other power consumers.

I know the E55's have pretty beefy alternators, but I'm running two amps (1000RMS x 1 and a 250RMS x4) and with volume cranked my dash lights do flicker at night. I would get a cap, but I mostly listen between 1/3 and 2/3 volume and there are 0 issues there.