W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Videos: Z06 vs ZR1 vs GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2009 | 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by CWW
Then this video is either drastically edited or a complete fake, unless the race magically started off at 170mph. Juicee called it right, there's no way in hell you could accelerate to 200+mph in the 10 seconds of elapsed time on the video. Total B.S.

As a comparison, a Veyron can only get to 200mph in 24.2 seconds. I guess this is a set of magical corvettes and a magical GT-R.
As Akademiks pointed out, it is set to KMPH in the video. The heads up display will continue to count normal KMPH intervals, but for obvious reasons, the hard numbers on the guage cannot change, so the needle just stays pinned.
Old 06-13-2009 | 08:11 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by m52e55
hey Dave,

how's the beast? traveling a bit more, so not on board as much. anyway the RT-4 here is running perfect still with ~50k miles. someone asked the power of the car awhile ago and i relayed it was all in the rear spoiler-lol. did have an open stretch a few days back and decided to just mashed the thing, as had been awhile. anyway, at the risk of sounding a bit meek, the thing scared the ***** out of me. also, had a pretty funny old school story. i pulled up to a local 76 petrol depot this last week and a fairly new brown/tan 997 turbo cabriolet was getting gassed up by 65-70 yr old driver. i complimented his car and as he proceeded to give me a 5 minute monologue that it was among the fastest cars in the world, with all the car & driver stats. he then says to me: "you have a nice mb, i assume the kompressor is a bit faster than the stock sedan...what does that put out, 350-400 hp?" i just smiled and nodded. just didn't have the heart to tell him the big ol' saloon would out-sprint his lil' beauty. decided to just let it him enjoy his pride and joy. pretty cool old guy.

hope this finds u well. will let u know if come across any bbs wheel leads. good wknd to you and the other pilots here on the board.
very well said and I feel the same way. The point of my post is to say there is no winner winner. therfore the arguement is mute. Sure you car make a GTR faster than a ZR1, but at the same time you can make a ZR1 faster than a GTR. The talent of the GTR should not be over looked. it is an incredible car that is well proven. I was impressed by the video because it shows the GTR's potential and when the prices finally come out of the sky I may be looking to buy one. that turbo kit should cost 5K and not 7K and the ZR1 is also over priced in my opinion as well. I will always consider the GTR to be one of the best cars in the world along with the ZR1, the E55, and the 997 turbo.

to me there is no such thing as the best car, just different flavors of fun
Old 06-13-2009 | 08:34 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Man... I found something really interesting. Another video with the same group of guys and this time a CGT is in the mix. The GTR is giving the CGT a run for the money with an impressive performance. then there is the ZR1. I will let the video speak for itself. I am sure it will stir up some serious conversation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2IlAnt5e60
Old 06-13-2009 | 08:38 PM

2004 E55 AMG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8feie...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BclteV8P3VY

Last edited by kipper215; 06-13-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2009 | 10:03 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

Drives Slowly
Hey Todd,

Funny story. That sounds like something I will be doing in a couple of years....... schooling some youngster about my current performance car........ probably a Mini Cooper S by then.

BTW, the BBS reference was for the GTR. I need one soooooooooo bad.
Old 06-13-2009 | 10:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Honda
so i don't get it, how come the zr1 takes the gtr in the 2nd video?
Old 06-13-2009 | 11:16 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by bobgodd
As Akademiks pointed out, it is set to KMPH in the video. The heads up display will continue to count normal KMPH intervals, but for obvious reasons, the hard numbers on the guage cannot change, so the needle just stays pinned.
CWW - Juiccee

See above. I really would have thought that was obvious. My brothers GTO had the same feature. You could toggle between KMH/MPH on the gauge. So for example in the video, when the Z06 was at 140 (where you guys thought it was MPH), it was only doing about 87MPH... which is why it looked slow.

Make sense?
Old 06-13-2009 | 11:35 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by Akademiks
CWW - Juiccee

See above. I really would have thought that was obvious. My brothers GTO had the same feature. You could toggle between KMH/MPH on the gauge. So for example in the video, when the Z06 was at 140 (where you guys thought it was MPH), it was only doing about 87MPH... which is why it looked slow.

Make sense?
I didn't realize you could switch the guage itself, I thought he was just talking about the digital readout. My bad, I stand corrected.
Old 06-14-2009 | 01:22 AM

'11/E63-Former car: '05 RT4 E55, Sprintbooster, Phenolic Spacers, RT IC /Secondary HE & BMC Filters
Originally Posted by Rock
Hey Todd,

Funny story. That sounds like something I will be doing in a couple of years....... schooling some youngster about my current performance car........ probably a Mini Cooper S by then.

BTW, the BBS reference was for the GTR. I need one soooooooooo bad.
Hey Dave,

understood. all good bro. anyway, seems all is good there with you. talk later. my best.

Todd
Old 06-14-2009 | 02:06 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by CWW
I didn't realize you could switch the guage itself, I thought he was just talking about the digital readout. My bad, I stand corrected.
LOL, it's all good-- no conspiracy here! Although, I'll admit when I first saw it, it threw me off as well until I recalled the GTO doing that same thing.
Old 06-14-2009 | 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
haha you guys are funny with judging and not knowing facts. It was taken in Russia.

GTR has hks 570 package

zr1 is stock

z06 speedo is in miles but it was converted to kms but missing the right speedo in KM.h. Guy sucks at shifting too.

GTR is one serious car with hks 570 package, just youtube it, lots of videos out there. Soon there gonna be hks 650 pckg or smth.
Old 06-14-2009 | 03:03 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
ok does this mean that the ZR1 is faster then a CGT?! since its passing the GTR??

thanks for the clips

man the CGT sounds soo sick, not liking the Z sounds don't know why
Old 06-14-2009 | 10:08 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Zod
ok does this mean that the ZR1 is faster then a CGT?! since its passing the GTR??

thanks for the clips

man the CGT sounds soo sick, not liking the Z sounds don't know why
the GTR with an HKS tubing package and tune is a serious machine. that package is still using the stock turbos. When I found that out, the package is way over priced costing over 5K. With that said, we have to remember the ZR1 is stock and still holding it's own. so imagine the power to be had in that car. scary thought. the earlier link I have shows a modded ZR1 that has the same horse power to weight ratio as a veyron. to be honest I don't think that is achievable in a GTR. the engine would destroy itself in the process.

this summer is going to be interesting because once the ZR1 has been out for awhile and people start modding it, we will get some wild street vids.

I never liked vettes, but after following this car and seeing what GM has put into it the ZR1 is certified UBER BAD ***
Old 06-14-2009 | 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Akademiks
LOL, it's all good-- no conspiracy here! Although, I'll admit when I first saw it, it threw me off as well until I recalled the GTO doing that same thing.
So the result of this investigation is

1. The driver in the Z06 was so flustered he toggled his dash so it was not an accurate measure of his speed, he shifted poorly and likely was riding so suprised he got the jump he dropped the camera on the floor

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

ok,

either way I suppose the video does demonstrate the GT-R modded and stock Zr1 make the super quick Z06 seem like an average car.
Old 06-14-2009 | 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by juicee63
either way I suppose the video does demonstrate the GT-R modded and stock Zr1 make the super quick Z06 seem like an average car.
It's all about perspective
Old 06-14-2009 | 01:45 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by InTheBenz0
that gtr has upgraded turbos i take it by the name of the "package" it has next to its name.

I think if you would swap pulleys, headers, tune, and a cam on the zr1 there would be a different outcome for sure.

I don't think they'd have to go as far as kipper215's link lol

I have the same HKS GT570 in my car- its with stock turbos. Its all about opening up the turbos and letting the car breathe.

Originally Posted by Rock
Why would anyone want a GTR? Especially with a HKS 570 package. That car is a 3900lbs pig and that is a staged video.

BTW, does anyone have any leads on silver 20" BBS LMs, 10.5" rear and 9.5" front?
Your hook just dried up.

Originally Posted by juicee63
I call BS

nobody else noticed???

Fake
Juice, you are a well educated car guy IMHO. Come see and ride in my car. Its a GT-R with the same kit. Whats special about the GT-R is that it takes two simple and relatively cheap mods (based on the HP gains) to get the car to trap high 120's to low 130's. The Cobb and the GT570 package which I both have. The car will just flat out smoke any of my AMG's that I had or the 600 plus crank hp 997TT that I currently own. Forget the M6- its not even worth mentioning. The GT-R has great stock dig capabilities but put this GT570 package on clearly opens it up for rolling runs up to and over 180 mph. Check out drag times, they dont lie in regards to quarter mile runs. The car in stock format does well, put a cobb on and you got a 124mph trapper, put on the GT570 and you are at 128-130 and the car becomes a roll monster as well.

Even if I got a slow non ringer GT-R the car with the two mods would still make it very very fast. Thats the difference between the E55 and the GT-R. Everyone here that is modded is not the same- different pulleys, exhaust, headers, ecu .. etc. Its all over the board when it comes to trying to get the fastest car but HKS has just put together an entire package (retail is 5700) and it is proven over and over again. I have no problem saying the GT-R is my favorite car I've owned out of so many. It does so many things right. Like Carl Lassiter said, the GT-R is like Kobe Bryant, you either love or hate him but either way you know he is damn good.

There is nothing like shooting flames at 140 mph when racing someone... thats what the GT570 package does when you couple it with a free flowing exhaust.

Like others said, the speedometer of a car has nothing to do with how fast the cars are going; its clearly shown they are moving... its all relative unless you believe it to be staged. I think its a real race but everyone is entitled to their opinion
Old 06-14-2009 | 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Vic55
There is nothing like shooting flames at 140 mph when racing someone... thats what the GT570 package does when you couple it with a free flowing exhaust.
Just keep that 140mph Napalm-spreading bucket outt've my county, we've had enough fire/flames in SB to last a lifetime Now if we were to go to mexicoFlame-on Batboy
Old 06-15-2009 | 12:22 AM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Thericker
Just keep that 140mph Napalm-spreading bucket outt've my county, we've had enough fire/flames in SB to last a lifetime Now if we were to go to mexicoFlame-on Batboy

I was running up a long steep hill on a toll road and this 335i wanted to play so I laid into the throttle heavy and crushed him. After I went downhill and exited, I caught a red and he came up and said "Dude you were shooting flames!!!"
Old 06-15-2009 | 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Vic55

I was running up a long steep hill on a toll road and this 335i wanted to play so I laid into the throttle heavy and crushed him. After I went downhill and exited, I caught a red and he came up and said "Dude you were shooting flames!!!"
NICE! I want to see this in person, I know I'll loose so the view of flames should be good
Old 06-15-2009 | 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Thericker
NICE! I want to see this in person, I know I'll loose so the view of flames should be good
Please get video of it for the rest of us.
Old 06-15-2009 | 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
god damn. 300 km/h on moscow roads. those people got ballz!
Old 06-15-2009 | 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Vic,

Can you please stop posting these videos. It is obviously shameless promotion of what is obviously a slow, ugly, underpowered, and unmodifiable Japanese car and does not in ANY way make me want to own one - nor did it just make me pull up ebay and autotrader to again check to see availability of them in my general area.

-m
Old 06-15-2009 | 06:26 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Vic,

Can you please stop posting these videos. It is obviously shameless promotion of what is obviously a slow, ugly, underpowered, and unmodifiable Japanese car and does not in ANY way make me want to own one - nor did it just make me pull up ebay and autotrader to again check to see availability of them in my general area.

-m

What took you so long?
Old 06-15-2009 | 06:28 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Vic,

-m
Bwahahahahahahahaa!!!! So ******' TRUE I had barely finished watching that vid before I was on ebay wondering what they're selling for.
Old 06-15-2009 | 10:04 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

Drives Slowly
You guys crack me up. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD ANYONE BUY A GTR???
Okay, it's fast, unique, cutting edge, highly modifiable and a performance value but for God sake.............It's Japanese..............It will never compete with z-Germans.

If Vic55 would actually speak to me, I would tell him to sell his car for a significant discount (due to a weak market for the GTR) and offer those 20" LMs to a deserving member, for let's say...........$3,200.00.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Videos: Z06 vs ZR1 vs GT-R