My experience with 2 different tuners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I ended laying down 546 rwhp and 570 rwtq. This was done on the same dyno benzboi and blue monster use. It was a dyno dynamics.
On a friggin dyno dynamics! Get that car to a track ASAP because with those kind of numbers it should be turning some blazing 1/4 numbers
As far as AFR's go. If I'm paying for a custom tune I don't want rich or lean. I'm paying to have a custom tune dialed into my car with perfect AFR's, timing and a nice smooth power curve. I received this from PC and not LET.
Define perfect AFR's. One persons idea of perfect AFR may differ from the next
Old 06-14-2009, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Get that car to a track ASAP because with those kind of numbers it should be turning some blazing 1/4 numbers
Hmmmm.... may be he should stop driving up and down the west coast... and should start shipping the car to MIR
Old 06-14-2009, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Define perfect AFR's. One persons idea of perfect AFR may differ from the next
Perfect was definitely not the word of choice. Like you say, I'm sure each tuner has their own idea of perfect. Would it be safe to say that there is definitely an ideal target for out SC motors? That's the phrase I'll use in leu of perfect "ideal AFR target range for our cars". That's the best I could do to describe what I'm trying to say. Thank you for point that out.

On a friggin dyno dynamics! Get that car to a track ASAP because with those kind of numbers it should be turning some blazing 1/4 numbers
I'll be the first to agree that these are unusually high numbers for DD but I'm just posting what we got. Stock E55's dynode around 380-400 rwhp on this machine. The operator also mentioned that I own the record on that machine with my E55. As we all know, numbers are just number until backed up by a track run. When fall and winter comes I'll see if those numbers mean anything and until then I won't lose a second of sleep over it. There is no doubt that I have a strong running E55 and I also acknowledge there's always someone faster.... not a big deal to me.

Anyone whom has spoken to me knows that these dyno numbers don't mean much to me. Make no mistake, I'm glad I saw higher than lower numbers.

jangy Glad you are happy Alan!!

Just a few clarifications.... whoever said that PC runs leaner is simply trying to stir the pot. PC's tunes are extremely conservative when it comes to A/F ratios AND timing.

Second, LET should refund the money WITHOUT A DOUBT. Intellectual property? Good lord, do we need to go down this path and go back to trying to find PC's laptop?

I smell some hyper responses, so glad to hear the car is happy. I was actually considering shifting to LET since my little moment of oddness with PC but I guess I'll continue the search.
Thanks Jangy. It was very stressful for a while and now I'm just going to relax and enjoy the car. Powerchips has brought the fun back into my car.

I'm not sure what kinds of problems you might have with PC but I personally thought they were great. Either way I wish you look on your search my friend.

MB_Forever Alan, your car continues to impress me everyday. At Famoso, armed with only VR600, it was already among the fastest E55s at the event And even at the infamous Zero-Traction Sacramento (), your car produced incredible results. Now, you have dominated the heart-breaker dyno dynamics, and I truly believe that soon your car will conquer track numbers as well

I am glad you finally got what you wanted, and that you are happy with the car, as that is all that matters. You've done a lot of great research and spoken to many people while learning a great deal about your car in the process, so believe me when I say this, you most definitely deserve these great results And even though I was a little disappointed (just a little) when you didn't choose the RennTech tune (just kidding ), I believe things worked out for the best.

Now lets see some dyno sheets and track results
Thanks Mo! I really appreciate the advice and opinions you gave me along the way.

Dyno charts coming tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ChicagoX
..I also would have appreciated the chance to flash your ecu back to stock..
Understand and respect protecting another's proprietary and hard-earned intellectual property. What is protocol when having another vendor’s tune flashed into a previously tuned ECU? Is one expected to have it returned to its stock configuration before investing in another aftermarket company’s tuning services? Seems this same conundrum has been raised on this forum in the past, as well.

Not trying to be an *** – merely seeking clarification.
I'm not quite sure what the protocol is on this but LET also viewed my old file from PC. Jerry himself complimented the tune and file . If this is their standard it should work both ways. The truth is, it's a matter of time before everyone has the same files. Many people have told this same thing to me .

indyjoe What is the price that you paid for each custom tune?
Sorry, I don't wish to disclose the pricing because it's irrelevant. The best thing to do is call them up and ask.

Last edited by bassn_07; 06-14-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
What is protocol when having another vendor’s tune flashed into a previously tuned ECU? Is one expected to have it returned to its stock configuration before investing in another aftermarket company’s tuning services? Seems this same conundrum has been raised on this forum in the past, as well.

Not trying to be an *** – merely seeking clarification.
I would think that if you request a refund, you should allow the tuner to return it to stock. I do not think he requested a refund, so he should be free to use it however he chooses since it is his ECU.

Originally Posted by jangy
Glad you are happy Alan!!

Just a few clarifications.... whoever said that PC runs leaner is simply trying to stir the pot. PC's tunes are extremely conservative when it comes to A/F ratios AND timing.
I believe this tune was done in conjunction with dyno runs which allowed PC to be much more aggressive than their canned tunes.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Alan
is the tune you have now is the same tune as vrp 600.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:22 AM

Sorry, I don't wish to disclose the pricing because it's irrelevant. The best thing to do is call them up and ask.
It's not "irrelevant" if you received a free or highly discounted tune from PC, so they could compare their tune vs LET's, and/or to receive some 'jump up and down' marketing from you.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cls55
Alan
is the tune you have now is the same tune as vrp 600.
No. This is a new custom tune from Powerchips.

I did have the VR600 on my car at first and it produced very good numbers. My cars best time was 11.492 at Famoso and my best trap speed @ 124 at Sacramento Raceway.

That day at the track my car ran with some of fastest E55's out there, except for Chiromikey and Benzgal. Keep in mind my car only had a box tune where others had custom tunes. Benzboi and Blue Monster kept on telling my "Powerchips custom tune all the way".... Thanks again guys!!

I would think that if you request a refund, you should allow the tuner to return it to stock. I do not think he requested a refund, so he should be free to use it however he chooses since it is his ECU.
At first I requested a refund but once I was informed that my ECU needed to be sent back I decided to forfeit the refund.

To be truly honest, I also wanted to give PC the same opportunity LET had. Like I said before, LET had great peak number but PC improved the power under the entire curve and killed the torque numbers!

The more and more I think about this whole file sharing thing I think it's funny. With my own eyes I watched LET sit there and go through Powerchips file. I didn't experience this with Powerchips. Jeremy could've cared less what file I had in my car. He was there to custom tune my car with his software and give me the best reliable tune he can.... he more than delivered on that.

BTW.... Jeremy also stated that if he couldn't beat LET's tune within their safety guide lines he wouldn't push the envelope and admit I have a excellent tune, this wasn't the case.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by indyjoe
It's not "irrelevant" if you received a free or highly discounted tune from PC, so they could compare their tune vs LET's, and/or to receive some 'jump up and down' marketing from you.
If they deliver a awesome product I have no problem giving them 'jump up and down' marketing.... bottom line, PC delivered. BTW.... I already paid for PC's software back when I purchased my VR600. Can we move on now?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 AM

If they deliver a awesome product I have no problem giving them 'jump up and down' marketing.... bottom line, PC delivered. BTW.... I already paid for PC's software back when I purchased my VR600. Can we move on now?
I understand if you don't want to disclose. If it was retail then I doubt there would be any hesitation.

I always have a laugh at these threads because the exact same post has been made about every tuning company out there, and 99% of the time there's a motive behind it.

Glad you love your tune though.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
I understand if you don't want to disclose. If it was retail then I doubt there would be any hesitation.

I always have a laugh at these threads because the exact same post has been made about every tuning company out there, and 99% of the time there's a motive behind it.

Give it a rest Joe, Alan has no motive what so ever. I talk to Alan all the time and we talk about modding my car and he tells me to leave my car stock so if there was a motive he would be trying to get me to mod and use PC. So as he said before can we move on!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Give it a rest Joe, Alan has no motive what so ever. I talk to Alan all the time and we talk about modding my car and he tells me to leave my car stock so if there was a motive he would be trying to get me to mod and use PC. So as he said before can we move on!
I just think it's unfair for someone to start a thread comparing tuning companies without disclosing ALL the details INCLUDING the price that person paid for their 'custom' tune.

If I were given a custom tune at the generic tune price or at cost then I would certainly be very appreciative and supportive of that tuning company. Whereas, I might be much more objective had I paid retail. If I was charged retail then I might even be more apt to allow the first tuning company a chance to finish perfecting the custom tune for my car.

I'm not saying that the PC custom tune isn't better than the LET, but what if the PC tune is twice as much retail? Do you get a tune that is 2x better? Twice the HP? I have no idea what the prices are, but it's something the customer has to consider when choosing a custom tune.

If you're going to get on your knees for one tuning company, and talk ***** about another then disclose all the info. That's all I'm saying.

Carry on.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Jeremy could've cared less what file I had in my car. He was there to custom tune my car with his software and give me the best reliable tune he can.... he more than delivered on that.

BTW.... Jeremy also stated that if he couldn't beat LET's tune within their safety guide lines he wouldn't push the envelope and admit I have a excellent tune, this wasn't the case.
To play devil's advocate, I believe he can download their tune and look at it anytime later at his leisure.

Not saying he did, but I know I would.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Thanks Jangy...I'm not sure what kinds of problems you might have with PC but I personally thought they were great.
It was a personal misunderstanding, if anything. Absolutely nothing technical. I have the VR600 tune and have always loved it.

As far as pricing clarification, it would be nice if the tuners would be clear with reflashing / fine tuning, etc. pricing since those of us that end up with refined or updated files end up returning a number of times. As Alan said, I know he -paid retail when he first built his ride, so I would be so aggressive at him even if PC did get him out of the LET tune for free. He may simply be jumping up and down because he got what he expected?

Every tuner has a reputation, right or wrong, good or bad. But, that may not always be how they are. I learned that EVOSport. I was a hater before, buying into the stereotype. But then I dealt with them a number of times and things just went smoothly. I met them face to face a few times and again they were straight up. Anyone here knows I am not a preferred EVOSport customer and probably one of the larger pains in their butt. Brad is pretty open about his perception of me, so I have no need to even be nice.

Point is, lets not turn this into simple bashing and off topicness. Lets get into the true details and help the members understand exactly what each tuner offers.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
DAMN ALAN I wasn't planning on modding my car any further but now you have scared me into doing so Those dyno #'s.......WOW.

Glad you like your tune.

Indyjoe, I have read some your post in other threads in the past and I must say for the most part, at least the ones I have come across before, I usually agree with your post or I think it makes sense. JMO

But I must tell you, personally knowing Alan, you are wrong this time. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to get into a pissing match, I just want to clarify. Anybody that really knows Alan know this.

So there is no motive behinds Alan's post, just posting his experience on this forum that all. Yes, I do have a Powerchip tune, but had Alan's experience been the other way around in favor of LET, or Renntech or anyone else for that matter I would still be posting here to give props to Alan for his new found power.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
I just think it's unfair for someone to start a thread comparing tuning companies without disclosing ALL the details INCLUDING the price that person paid for their 'custom' tune.

If I were given a custom tune at the generic tune price or at cost then I would certainly be very appreciative and supportive of that tuning company. Whereas, I might be much more objective had I paid retail. If I was charged retail then I might even be more apt to allow the first tuning company a chance to finish perfecting the custom tune for my car.

I'm not saying that the PC custom tune isn't better than the LET, but what if the PC tune is twice as much retail? Do you get a tune that is 2x better? Twice the HP? I have no idea what the prices are, but it's something the customer has to consider when choosing a custom tune.

If you're going to get on your knees for one tuning company, and talk ***** about another then disclose all the info. That's all I'm saying.

Carry on.
Fair Enough
Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
heh

Alan (john kerry) couldn't give a **** about the cost. He just wants the best. This opportunity with Powerchips gave him the ability to see if he could get something better.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by SLK55R
Alan (john kerry) couldn't give a **** about the cost. He just wants the best. This opportunity with Powerchips gave him the ability to see if he could get something better.
If he couldn't give a **** then he shouldn't mind being honest about what he paid for each tune. It sounds like he paid retail for the LET, and got the PC for free (besides what was initially included in the kit). Someone else mentioned that he might have even got money back from PC on the LET tune?

Honestly, he's probably just very happy with his car and wanted to share with everyone. I just think these threads are retarded because no one ever compares apples to apples, and no one is ever fully honest on the deal.

I'm sure PC is happy that this thread might persuade potential LET customers to get custom tunes by PC and pay full retail.

'naw wat I'm sayin'
Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you don't get it

we trust alan that he is giving an honest representation. Both had the opportunity to custom tune his car ... and one did better.

If powerchips has the skill to build a competent tune, that Alan likes, then that says something. He isn't the type to bs about anything.

As to how much he paid or didn't pay ... I really don't care. Alan wouldn't give powerchips the time of day (even if free) if the tune sucked. Honestly, if he got a decent break, I'd be happy for him. He has already paid for a couple tunes and it would truly suck to be paying retail for multiple tunes just to find who can do the best.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
we trust alan that he is giving an honest representation....He isn't the type to bs about anything...Alan wouldn't give powerchips the time of day (even if free) if the tune sucked.

Exactly. Alan is a straight up guy. What he paid for the final tune has nothing to do with his commentary and comparison between the two.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM

we trust alan that he is giving an honest representation. Both had the opportunity to custom tune his car ... and one did better.

If powerchips has the skill to build a competent tune, that Alan likes, then that says something. He isn't the type to bs about anything.

As to how much he paid or didn't pay ... I really don't care. Alan wouldn't give powerchips the time of day (even if free) if the tune sucked. Honestly, if he got a decent break, I'd be happy for him. He has already paid for a couple tunes and it would truly suck to be paying retail for multiple tunes just to find who can do the best.
You obviously don't understand my point.

Last edited by indyjoe; 06-14-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jangy
Exactly. Alan is a straight up guy. What he paid for the final tune has nothing to do with his commentary and comparison between the two.
Alan is probably a great guy, but it doesn't change the fact that if you were given a great tune for free then you would probably write a pretty damn glowing thread about that company and the product. In business it's called marketing. Positive testimonials from trusted members are priceless, especially when they also negatively impact your competition.

So you're wrong. If he was given a tune for free or given a big discount then it makes a difference. Period.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Full disclosure.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alan is probably a great guy, but it doesn't change the fact that if you were given a great tune for free then you would probably write a pretty damn glowing thread about that company and the product. In business it's called marketing. Positive testimonials from trusted members are priceless, especially when they also negatively impact your competition.

So you're wrong. If he was given a tune for free or given a big discount then it makes a difference. Period.
No I'm not wrong ... do you know alan ... have you met alan ... have you to talked with alan? Then shut the **** up.

In business its called marketing from Powerchips perspective. From Alan its is called saying as it is. Powerchips took a chance with a member here and they were able to back up their promises. Alan took a chance with Powerchip and is happy with the results.

I see so many discounts across so many tuners here ... a price discount means NOTHING.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 PM

No I'm not wrong ... do you know alan ... have you met alan ... have you to talked with alan? Then shut the **** up.

In business its called marketing from Powerchips perspective. From Alan its is called saying as it is. Powerchips took a chance with a member here and they were able to back up their promises. Alan took a chance with Powerchip and is happy with the results.

I see so many discounts across so many tuners here ... a price discount means NOTHING.
okay champ.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Thanks jess and all of you other guys for vouching for me, it's appreciated!

I'm on the road right now and I'll post when I get home.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My experience with 2 different tuners